This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Mics, pre-amps, boards, etc.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#99440 by Onevoice
Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:26 am
I'm trying to record some live guitar riffs onto my desktop to upload to our website. I'm kind of technology challenged, so I don't know what I would need to do this or if its even possible. I'm sure I would need some type of adapter to go from my guitar to the Dell Tower + the right software. If anyone knows anything or another inexpensive alternative let me know.

Thanks

Ron

#99582 by Phototherapy
Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:50 pm
OK, so software is the easier question to answer; just download Audacity - it's free and you absolutely can't go wrong http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Then, how to get the guitar in and sound half reasonable. In my opinion, it has to be a Line 6 POD - even just a pocket POD would do but you'd be better off with an XT or an X3 as it wil act as an external sound card and connect to your PC via the USB. Otherwise with a pocket POD you could use the line in socket on your PC - it would still sound great. If you don't have or even haven't heard one of these, they will blow your mind!

#99671 by Phototherapy
Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:18 am
Or, if it really is just computer recording you want to do and you don't mind using your mouse rather than your fingers to tweak your guitar sound then a cheaper option than a POD XT would be a POD studio GX; USB Audio interface with modelling software on the PC. I personally prefer having dials I can turn with my fingers - it seems more real but the sound would be the same and it would be a lot cheaper. The other advantage of an XT or X3 over the POD studio GX is that, once you've found your perfect sound for recording, you can use it in front of your amp live as well...

Go for it!

Paul

#100670 by Rk 247
Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:38 pm
I completely agree with PhotoTherapy,
A Line 6 (Brand name) POD XT Live (Model Name) will do EXACTLY what you need!! I just bought mine from a friend. He upgraded to the POD X3 Live- which supports 2 Instruments- "LIVE" on stage! His band name is Lead Singer Syndrome- check out their music on MySpace to see if you like the tones. That's all he uses for their gigs-
It's Guitar 1 + Guitar 2 >POD X3 Live >House P.A.- That simple!!

The other guitar player uses a DigiTech GNX-4 for studio + Live shows. I also own a GNX-4, but popular opinion leans heavily toward the PODs for LIVE playing. Also, there's been a bunch of different versions over the years! Maybe a used POD bean will get your music into the Digital Age on the cheap!

Also, go to the ZZounds, Guitar Center, or Musician's Friends websites, PLUS check out the YouTube site for Video Demos of these boxes. They do sound Great!! There's plenty of detailed info PLUS customer reviews. It's an excellent studio recording tool plus you can use it Live with the same Amp Models+ FX programs you personally tweaked to your preference. It's highly Rated for a reason- It frikkin' Rocks!!

#111680 by asabass
Sat May 15, 2010 8:51 pm
Get a good mic and set it up in an empty closet with your amp. Get Audacity and record away!

Sometimes it's better to record your "real" sound versus trying to tweak your sound and make it sound real in the box.

#135089 by Douglas Rawlings
Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:22 pm
native instruments guitar rig
fender's amplitube
fender cyber twin stereo directs
mike and amp