This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#98976 by Janna_G
Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:10 pm
I'm not an Avril Lavigne fan at the best of times, but it's not an awful song. And considering it's a Disney film, it sounds like it'll probably fit the bill.

#98984 by CraigMaxim
Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:49 pm

I'm really looking forward to this one too!

Saw the previews in 3D when I saw Avatar!

Looked awesome!

Depp is a great actor, and I really like Helena Bonham Carter too!

Tim Burton is a favorite too. Excellent and unique director!

#98986 by abrocks22
Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:59 pm
Janna_G wrote:I'm not an Avril Lavigne fan at the best of times, but it's not an awful song. And considering it's a Disney film, it sounds like it'll probably fit the bill.

That's pretty much how I feel too. Song works for what it is. Its even kinda catchy.

#102351 by gbheil
Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:08 pm
The wife wants to see this one.
It's kinda ... eh ... to me.

#102359 by Chippy
Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:26 pm
Wot? I live there! :D

#102374 by ColorsFade
Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:01 am
It's Burton, it's Depp, it's Helan Bonham Carter... I'll probably watch it.

#102828 by CraigMaxim
Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:33 pm

Saw the movie last night, with the wife and kids and a friend.

We all loved it!

Very funny and visusally stunning, like all Burton films.

I knew Depp was gonna be good, but Helena Bonham Carter was equally as good, if not better. Casting her for that character was PERFECT! She was hillarious throughout, with her Betty Davis, Joan Crawford, lofty and absurd anger! Not sure that Anne Hathaway as the White Queen was the best choice, but... really enjoyable film all around! The snooty critics (a few of them anyway) yet again, don't know what they are talking about! LOL

Take the kids... everyone will enjoy it!

#102829 by gbheil
Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:13 pm
Cool.
Thanks for the heads up.

#102907 by CraigMaxim
Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:22 pm
sanshouheil wrote:Cool.
Thanks for the heads up.

No problem bro!

Latest news on the movie:

'Alice in Wonderland' shatters 3-D, IMAX records
By Scott Bowles, USA TODAY

Audiences followed Tim Burton and Johnny Depp down the rabbit hole this weekend as Alice in Wonderland scored the sixth largest debut of all time, shattering box office records for 3-D and IMAX along the way.
Burton's visual buffet opened to $116.3 million, according to studio estimates from box office firm Hollywood.com.

The debut was nearly $40 million more than analysts predicted and gave the film the largest debut ever for a non-sequel, beating out Spider-Man, if estimates hold.

The film also smashed records set just a few weeks ago by Avatar, including largest debut on IMAX.

Wonderland raked in $11.9 million on IMAX, surpassing Avatar's $9.5 million. IMAX president and CEO Greg Foster says that Wonderland is enjoying a "halo effect" from James Cameron's computer-generated smash, which has done $720 million.

"I think people went into the theaters because of Avatar and saw 3-D and IMAX for the first time," Foster says. "That got them excited about the experience, and Alice in Wonderland was the next big movie to come along."

Big is an understatement. The movie took in another $94 million worldwide, and still hasn't opened in 60% of Disney's foreign markets.

"Tim and Johnny have always been great together, but I don't think anyone saw this coming," says Chuck Viane, distribution chief for Disney. "But it was clear early on people were responding to the marketing."

While critics were mixed — 53% of them recommended the movie, according to RottenTomatoes.com — Disney's marketing focused on teens, who have found 3-D to be an irresistible bug light.

"We got some people who read the book," Viane says. "But you obviously had a lot of people who just had to see what it looked like."

The film gave the industry a boost in a month when movies typically stagger. Ticket sales surged 74% over last weekend.

The cop drama Brooklyn's Finest held its own with a $13.5 million opening, about $2 million more than expected, good for second place.

Martin Scorsese's Shutter Island was third with $13.3 million, bringing its total to $95.8 million after three weeks.

The Bruce Willis comedy Cop Out was fourth with $9.1 million, followed by Avatar with $7.7 million. After three months on screen, Avatar has racked up $720.2 million and has yet to drop out of the top five. Worldwide, it has done $2.6 billion, another record.

Final figures are due Monday.

#102944 by jimmydanger
Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:24 pm
I saw it last night. I give it a B. My two issues with it:

1) Rewriting it so that it's a sequel to accomodate an adult Alice. A child would have been better; it loses some of the wonder with an adult in the role.

2) Making it PC by having Alice eating a cake to grow larger when it was originally a mushroom. The drug implications of that were something the filmmakers chose to avoid. I'm not a big fan of making anything PC.

#102946 by philbymon
Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:40 pm
I'm prolly one of the few ppl that isn't all that impressed by Tim Burton. Imho, his movies, while visually appealling, lack a lot in the areas of interesting story-lines. He bores me to sleep.

#102957 by CraigMaxim
Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:41 pm
jimmydanger wrote:
I saw it last night. I give it a B. My two issues with it:

1) Rewriting it so that it's a sequel to accomodate an adult Alice. A child would have been better; it loses some of the wonder with an adult in the role.

Actually, I have a different take on that. Making her an adult, allowed her to be more of a heroine to a modern generation. She is trying to be forced into a marriage she doesn't really want. She is a DREAMER with a strong imagination, like her father, and he supports her in her own dreams. Rather than being merely a child, who had little control over her circumstances, this slightly older Alice, is much more in control over her life's direction. It didn't bother me personally, and it may be that this version, appeals to a wider audience. Also, it is playing overseas, where it could be fuel for fighting arranged marriages, and empowering women.

jimmydanger wrote:

2) Making it PC by having Alice eating a cake to grow larger when it was originally a mushroom. The drug implications of that were something the filmmakers chose to avoid. I'm not a big fan of making anything PC.

You may be right?

But they only changed later chapters in the book, because in the original when she first went down the Rabbit Hole, IT WAS a small cake that she ate. They merely kept it cake, on the next go-round of size changes, where she meets the caterpillar. I don't know if it was for PC purposes or not, but being a Disney film, you may be right.

What did you think of Helena Bonham Carter as the Red Queen?

I thought she was PERFECT in the role!

And the Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum twins were amusing as hell to my kids. They did a great job on the effects for them.

#102958 by CraigMaxim
Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:47 pm
philbymon wrote:I'm prolly one of the few ppl that isn't all that impressed by Tim Burton. Imho, his movies, while visually appealling, lack a lot in the areas of interesting story-lines. He bores me to sleep.

Well, as you probably know, that is the biggest criticism he gets, is that he is not always a great storyteller in some of his films.

But he has alot of films to his credit, and I usually enjoy most of them.

Avatar helped this film alot, because audiences who hadn't seen the improved 3D that's available now, got a taste of it, and were ready for more. The timing was PERFECT for this movie, and it actually beat Avatar on it's opening. They say it is unlikely to top Avatar in the long run though, because there will be other 3D films coming along soon after, whereas Avatar got something like a 3 month run, unchallenged by competing 3D blockbusters.