This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#98937 by Janna_G
Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:42 pm
jimmydanger wrote:
Janna_G wrote: Weekend rock stars are the ones who are under the impression that bassist/drummers/keyboardists/rhythm guitarists are impossible to find.

At least us weekend warriors have music on our players. Are you just here to brag?

Fair enough, I will clarify. My apologies to anyone who took offense.

By weekend rock stars I don't mean people who practice on weekends. I meant bands who don't have their act together. You know, the ones who contact you saying they're auditioning for this or that position but don't really have any form of regular practices or jams, or who don't have any form of direction or in general just don't really seem to be piecing together any real form of momentum or commitment.

Lots of totally legitimate bands practice on weekends. Totally not what I meant. I was referring to the sort of people who complain that they can't find bassists or whatever else but can't approach them with anything actually organized that resembles a band.

And thanks for being rude instead of asking me to clarify buddy. I haven't had the chance to upload any music yet. I do have some videos posted though. Or is this a case of "trolling the newb" :roll:

#98938 by aiki_mcr
Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:43 pm
Chippy wrote:I think if folks relaxed expectancy and replaced that with patience

Yes. That's the line I bought into for long enough to have wasted my time in too many lousy bands.

I have actually raised my expectations considerably in the last few years. It was an eye-opener when I stopped being willing to just join any band looking for a bass player.

#98950 by jw123
Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:52 pm
Janna_G wrote:
jimmydanger wrote:
Janna_G wrote: Weekend rock stars are the ones who are under the impression that bassist/drummers/keyboardists/rhythm guitarists are impossible to find.

At least us weekend warriors have music on our players. Are you just here to brag?

Fair enough, I will clarify. My apologies to anyone who took offense.

By weekend rock stars I don't mean people who practice on weekends. I meant bands who don't have their act together. You know, the ones who contact you saying they're auditioning for this or that position but don't really have any form of regular practices or jams, or who don't have any form of direction or in general just don't really seem to be piecing together any real form of momentum or commitment.

Lots of totally legitimate bands practice on weekends. Totally not what I meant. I was referring to the sort of people who complain that they can't find bassists or whatever else but can't approach them with anything actually organized that resembles a band.

And thanks for being rude instead of asking me to clarify buddy. I haven't had the chance to upload any music yet. I do have some videos posted though. Or is this a case of "trolling the newb" :roll:

Honestly Janna I could care less what you think, but thanks for posting for our entertainment!!!

#98952 by philbymon
Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:53 pm
Same here, am. These days I think I'll just tell them to give me a CD of THIER work first, so I can decide if I want to even bother learning the material enough to audition. I've met some pretty crappy players over the last year.

#98960 by aiki_mcr
Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:05 pm
philbymon wrote:Same here, am. These days I think I'll just tell them to give me a CD of THIER work first, so I can decide if I want to even bother learning the material enough to audition. I've met some pretty crappy players over the last year.

Have you ever actually tried an approach like that? I have. Even if you manage not to come across as arrogant (and it is a danger) the bands tend to be a little offended. There is a direct correlation, as well, between how offended the are and how bad they are. By extension I guess this means if they are not at all offended they really are awesome?

I do mostly covers, so I've developed a few of touchstone songs. Some of them are things that if the band doesn't do, I walk away. A couple are huge red flags - I won't refuse to be in a band that does them, but I'm cautious about committing to it.

#98962 by Kramerguy
Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:12 pm
aiki_mcr wrote:
philbymon wrote:Same here, am. These days I think I'll just tell them to give me a CD of THIER work first, so I can decide if I want to even bother learning the material enough to audition. I've met some pretty crappy players over the last year.

Have you ever actually tried an approach like that? I have. Even if you manage not to come across as arrogant (and it is a danger) the bands tend to be a little offended. There is a direct correlation, as well, between how offended the are and how bad they are. By extension I guess this means if they are not at all offended they really are awesome?

If you've been in an area long enough, people will know you and your reputation. asking a musician or band to show a demo isn't a bad thing.

#98963 by Janna_G
Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:25 pm
I think I'd be a bit wary of a band that was offended by a bassist coming to audition asking for a CD or at the very least a MySpace with some music to learn on it. Doesn't make sense that they'd want you to play music with them but don't want you to hear their music beforehand.

I mean there's the question of musical preference too. What if it turns out that you get to the audition and just don't happen to like the style of music they play?

#99041 by jw123
Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:31 pm
Most cover bands that Ive sat in with the past couple of years would give me a copy of cover material they were palying and any key changes they did in any songs.

I rarely do gigs with original acts anymore but I did audition for two that kinda tickled my fancy for soem reason, Both of these groups gave me a cd with 2-3 songs to learn before i auditioned.

There is nothing unprofessional about asking for material to learn before you play with someone, and if they are offended that u asked then you should probably just pass anyway.

#99143 by aiki_mcr
Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:31 am
jw123 wrote:There is nothing unprofessional about asking for material to learn before you play with someone, and if they are offended that u asked then you should probably just pass anyway.

I certainly never meant to imply that there was. Quite the contrary. But I have encountered people who believe it is. Especially, for some reason, from a bass player.

Just add it to the list of weird and stupid ideas that some people have about musicians.

#99145 by fisherman bob
Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:37 am
jimmydanger wrote:Kramer, Jack Bruce played lead bass, as did John Entwistle. Both great players who made their bands stand out. So I think it has an application in the right setting. The problem is, most bass players aren't good enough to play lead bass and keep the rhythm tight.
Truer words were never spoken. The REAL genius bass players can play lead bass AND keep the rhythm tight. I'm nowhere near that level. I do play a few lead bass lines, but I have to keep an ironclad rhythm going because I'm also a lead singer. Jack Bruce plays lead bass, sings, AND keeps a tight rhythm. That's an unbelievable feat...

#99261 by gbheil
Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:55 am
Let us bear in mind that there are many levels of musicianship.
No approach will work as an absolute.
A group of professionally minded players can expect a CD or other form of pre-audition samples. Newer players or newly forming bands may not have those luxuries.
I think it is important to present one's position as honestly as possible to allow all parties involved to consider the environment they will be entering.
Our bassist could play with anyone with his experience. He chooses to play with us because it is fun. And he has freedom of creation and expression.
I however am not at that point in my career. And was more than happy to cold audition potential members in person.
Some felt we were not up to their musical standard. Others were not up to ours. Or simply looking for something different.