This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of the UK.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#93878 by Stacey09
Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:38 pm
Firstly - Hi everyone :D I'm a newbie on the site :shock:

OK - I think I would be terrified to be a lead singer - in fact I know I would be! So, having never gigged before, my only other options would be to either duet with someone who can also sing, or provide back up vocals for a band. I signed up here hoping that I would be a perfect match for a small ensemble or band. Once I'm not terrified anymore, then I could sing lead for sure.

Does anyone have any advice please? I'd be really grateful I've not had much success with other sites.

Thanks
Stacey

#93884 by gbheil
Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:56 pm
From one newb to another. The best advice I can give is just freakin get out there and do it.
I adopt a kill or be killed attitude when I go on stage.
It aint George up there. Its the guitarst for NKF :twisted:

Damn the torpedos baby!! Full speed ahead!!

Welcome to BandMix

#93901 by MattKi
Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:48 am
Don't panic - good musicians know that nerves affect playing...hell - my fingers turn into jelly when I'm nervous and singers voices falter/fail/squeak and get breathy and tight. But you will get there.

Be honest with everyone you meet about your experience and confidence - they will understand.

Get together with a guitarist with an aim to just do two or three tracks at an open mic spot. You'll find audiences very supportive and actually "want" you to do well.

If you're really a nervous first timer, try and find a guitarist singer you can back on vocals for two songs whilst you find your feet and take the lead on the third. Once you've done your first one you'll be buzzing! You won't be able to wait to get up again.

At open mics you're not being paid, you're not under (too much) pressure (except what you put on yourself) and you get good experience.

If you falter when looking at an audience, look frequently at your guitarist who will wink and smile as if you're the only two there and you're sat in your living room. Sing to him/her. Enjoy it and it will come across.

practice doesn't just mean singing in private. Like the man said, "get out there and do it".

Oh...and have a beer!

:D

#93999 by Stacey09
Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:17 pm
Thanks guys for your advice - really helpful. There are no barriers for me getting out there and doing it - just me being a barrier to myself as usual! :roll:

#94006 by Micawber
Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:55 pm
Nice vocals Stacy, put the barriers to the back of your mind. Joni songs are not easy to sing, and your version was just fine.
If you were in this area I wouldn't hesitate to get together with ya, good luck.

#94021 by tasc
Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:27 pm
Stacey09

Please send me some of your music/tracks and we will give you as much help and support as we can.

We are not all that far from you. You may be in the Farnham area - some of us are just on the border of Hampshire. So there are no problems in meeting up with either Lucy (Consultant Producer), Alex or myself.

Kindest Regards,
Dr. David M. Bennett MIEEE., MCMI., MITE., LCG.
Technical Director,
The Atlantic Spirit Corporation Ltd.
http://www.the-atlantic-spirit.com
Last edited by tasc on Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

#94025 by Chippy
Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:42 pm
Stacey.
I have the same problem but when it comes down to it I'm sure you will find away. There always is a way.

Good luck.

#94107 by Stacey09
Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:46 pm
Thank you Micawber, Chippy - thanks for the support

Tasc - I don't have any of my own stuff on mp3 yet :?