This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#93449 by DavidSpencerMarsh
Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:44 pm
I have a particular song I wrote called "Merry Christmas Mama". It's a song I wrote for my mother when she passed away from cancer. I recorded the song some years back with the help of a friend in Philadelphia and a studio in Bucks County.

Countless numbers of people have heard the song, both the acoustic version and also the full demo version. No one has yet to say they didn't like the song.

Now, the radio station is telling me the song is not "STUDIO QUALITY"..is there anything the music industry doesn't want from a guy?

Maybe if someone would give me a record deal, I could afford to make a "Studio Quality" CD.

It's all about the money isn't it.

#93452 by jimmydanger
Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:00 pm
What they're really saying is that a record company hasn't greased the wheels for you (read: money). Payolla is alive and well.

#93453 by Kramerguy
Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:31 pm
Hey Dave,

Don't let the bastards get you down eh?

Yes, it is about money. You make them money, they make you money, it's a circular process that can't exist without you (the musician) and them.

That being said, I took a listen to that song on your profile.

The radio station is right. The production quality on the recording is sub-par for radio, even a station like 88.5 that devotes itself to independent artists will expect higher quality, for what it is. I will elaborate more on that after this-

If I was to critique your xmas song, I'd say this:

Overall, it's a good song. There's a lot going on in the background, it sounds full and well-written.
It's clear that it's not professionally produced, as the instrumentation sounds labored at times, the transitions between verses and choruses/ pre-post could be more definitive, and the arrangement could have been better in the sense of which instrumentation is dominant at various points of the song.

Using studio musicians could have helped with some of the more labored instruments I'm guessing.

The overall sound quality could have been improved with a better studio/engineer. Not to say it's bad.. just that it could be improved to the point of being "professional" enough for commercial use, as I can hear background noise. It gives the track the overall feel of being jumbled/busy at some points, unnecessarily.

The one shrieking red flag on the track is the drums. They sound extremely "forced" and completely fake. Too many cymbal crashes (and all at the same exact volume, no dynamic to them) I'd guess it's a drum machine?

My point is that you can find smaller "professional" studios that can garner you a great quality recording for not a ton of $$ (some as low as $50 hour) or that have package deals for 3 songs or something similar. Getting a producer separately will cost you about the same, but if you are looking at marketing your stuff, ESPECIALLY for commercial use, then it's a worthy investment.

If you were a punk rocker or trash-rock player, and you actually strived to get 'urban' sound in your songs, recordings with my critiques like above are actually welcomed, but you've written a soft-rock christmas song, which means your recording needs to be exceptionally crisp and defined. I hope you don't take everything I said as inflammatory - I'm just trying to be honest and help you see the other side of the fence.

..And you are from reading lol.. gotta take care of our own :P

#93456 by Chippy
Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:43 pm
Huh?
Where did David go? I was just going to ask where the song was?

#93458 by Kramerguy
Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:45 pm
poof..

wow..

well that was a waste of time.

#93460 by Chippy
Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:47 pm
Can you delete your own profile here?

Kramerguy wrote:poof..

wow..

well that was a waste of time.

#93461 by Kramerguy
Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:47 pm
Yep, you can.

#93465 by Chippy
Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:53 pm
:shock:
Why ever would that be allowed? It's a Spammers paradise.

I say again..... :shock:

Kramerguy wrote:Yep, you can.

#93466 by Kramerguy
Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:58 pm
can't stop spammers that way, they could just delete all cookies and start new profiles regardless of previous.

#93468 by Kramerguy
Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:59 pm
we need the ability to remove photos, pers info, and music/videos (pretty much the entire profile) just for privacy and copyright reasons alone.

#93469 by Chippy
Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:59 pm
hmmmm
Smf handles this very well, another paying job does too once you know what they are doing. Pity he left though. :?

Kramerguy wrote:can't stop spammers that way, they could just delete all cookies and start new profiles regardless of previous.

#93485 by BREAK RED
Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:21 pm
Kramerguy wrote:Yep, you can.

Yeah that was kind of a waste huh.. I didnt get to hear the song but I read your critique and it was very professional and quite "gentle" actually...

Unless your dealing with an actual engineer and producer, its tough getting that commercial quality. I have found that Engineering and producing is an art - craft all on its own...

engineers capture the sound ... producers bring it to life...

++++++

#93488 by gbheil
Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:44 pm
Someone say cookies? :P
Only after you finish your spam young man!! :twisted: