This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#93206 by yanidy
Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:15 pm
This Bass head - Behringer 450 watt, BX4500H costs only ab0ut $200 at Guitar center. Why is it cheap considering it is 450 watts? Is the sound quality not good?

#93213 by mistermikev
Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:40 am
i'll bite: cause it's made cheaply.
IME behringer stuff sounds as good as many of the items in the next price bracket up... but they are made cheaply and as such are more prone to breatk down. for instance I had a friend who bought the gtr combo and it blew the poweramp just after a year... so no warranty at that point.
it had really cheap pots - you could just feel the cheapness.

in short... I would buy a mixer from them, or an fx pedal, or even a comp (altho my autocomp has a broken switch)... but I'd stay away from anything powered - just my opinion.

#93224 by philbymon
Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:28 pm
I agree. You get what you pay for, to a point.

Friend of mine had their mixer, but it proved to be less than road-worthy.

Another guy I know had one of their amps, but it died, too, while still under warranty, & he had a hell of a time with them before they replaced it.

Yeah, their stuff sounds good when it works, but it often doesn't, from the horror stories I've heard.

#93229 by da-vo musicman
Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:20 pm
Strange, I've got 17 of the old EP2500's nd I've run 'em 'till you could make grill cheese sandwich on 'em and never a problem yet and the neww EP's are really smokin' little amps for the price
philbymon wrote:I agree. You get what you pay for, to a point.

Friend of mine had their mixer, but it proved to be less than road-worthy.

Another guy I know had one of their amps, but it died, too, while still under warranty, & he had a hell of a time with them before they replaced it.

Yeah, their stuff sounds good when it works, but it often doesn't, from the horror stories I've heard.

#93235 by jw123
Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:07 pm
Not familiar with the bass heads, but I have a 10 channel mixer with 500 watts. I think I gave 349.00 for it and havent had a lick of trouble out of it. My son uses it to practice with and I use it for acoustic gigs. To me sounds really good and better than the Peavey units I had around for years. Only had it for about a yr but no problem so far. At that price who cares. If you get a yr or two out of it and it breaks just get another one.

Good Luck and Keep rockin

#93275 by Kramerguy
Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:12 am
All I know is their stuff sounds flat and dull. Not exactly tone monsters with the amps, and even the mixing boards add only lifelessness to a signal... But hey, that's my opinion :P

#93283 by da-vo musicman
Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:25 pm
jw123, That little mxr u got makes a kik-azzzzz monitor board. 3 of us hav 1. 10 individual instrument signal monitoring WITH ACTUAL INDEPENDENT LINE SIGNAL EQ IS BUSTIN' OUT of the box!!! Compare that to typical 4 or 6 send monitor where each send combines all the signals into a single signal through a single overall rack eq...THERE IS NO COMPAROSION ATT ALL!!! THE 1O MXR COMPLETELY SMOKES IT!!! And now you know...the rest of the story. Good day.
jw123 wrote:Not familiar with the bass heads, but I have a 10 channel mixer with 500 watts. I think I gave 349.00 for it and havent had a lick of trouble out of it. My son uses it to practice with and I use it for acoustic gigs. To me sounds really good and better than the Peavey units I had around for years. Only had it for about a yr but no problem so far. At that price who cares. If you get a yr or two out of it and it breaks just get another one.

Good Luck and Keep rockin
#93289 by Etu Malku
Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:38 pm
yanidy wrote:This Bass head - Behringer 450 watt, BX4500H costs only ab0ut $200 at Guitar center. Why is it cheap considering it is 450 watts? Is the sound quality not good?
They buy them for about $145 and Behringer sells like hotcakes so they can keep the cost down. But they (all Behringer products) have high returns for defective units. All in all this is a very cheaply made product, some items better than others.