This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#93205 by yanidy
Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:14 pm
This Bass head - Behringer 450 watt, BX4500H costs only ab0ut $200 at Guitar center. Why is it cheap considering it is 450 watts? Is the sound quality not good?

#93251 by PocketGroovesGSO
Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:52 pm
I'll bite, but you really only have to post it once -- we'll find it. :D

Behringer stuff is cheap because it is cheaply made. It is, for the most part, lower quality beginner grade bass equipment. Their cabinets handle a lot of wattage, but I've heard more horror stories of the speakers blowing and cabinets dying than I have heard positive testimonials. For me, I'd save my money and buy a better quality product. No need in spending the money now, then turning around and spending it again in 1-2 years. :)

#93262 by gbheil
Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:33 am
Behringer cuts a lot of corners and uses lower grade electronics to the best of my understanding.
BUT, We have used a Behringer PA with good results and no problems. It has not made as many gigs as the Carvin, but it's still in use for smaller activities and when Ray does his solo thing.

#93618 by gtZip
Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:46 am
Repeat after me.
'Am'
'Peg'

'Ampeg'

Forget Behringer and everything else for now.

#93631 by hiillbilly heavy
Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:48 pm
gtZip wrote:Repeat after me.
'Am'
'Peg'

'Ampeg'

Forget Behringer and everything else for now.
lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#93787 by ted_lord
Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:30 pm
shoot if I had the money for a bass head I wouldn't complain bout it being crappy, if it gave me enough noise to play gigs and make me money playing music I wouldn't mind and hope that I could make a better investment in a few months

#99836 by Wayne plays bass and sax
Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:15 am
If you want an inexpensive amp that sounds great, get a Hartke 2500 ($249 at GC) and whatever speaker cab you prefer. I've got an older modified blackface 3500 with an Ampeg SVT610HLF. Best combination ever.

#99986 by Dewy
Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:09 pm
A Buddy plays bass thru one of these... I like the way it sounds and its already lasted over 100 shows. It's not as loud as some 450 watt amps I've heard... or anywhere close to as loud as the 200 watt Peavey Tube head they just came out with for bass. But it will do fine on stage with any drum kit, and an XLR out which is the most important feature past being able to hear it onstage next to drums.

He complains the cooling fan is "loud" and that there is a slight "hum" when its turned up, but its not an issue to the crowd.

The reason its "cheap" is because its made with inexpensive parts in China. Well, that and the fact they made a LOT of them.

I like Ampeg just fine, but you shouldn't be fooled by a brand name. Unless your spending big bucks, you're getting a Chinese amp, no matter what the brand name is.

As for Behringer being "Crap"... he's had no issues with reliability, and my VAmp2 had a beer spilled on it by a fan at a show once, and it still works fine (after it sobered up). I don't recommend dragging it with a chain to the next show, but if used by a reasonably intelligent person it should exceed its warranty.

#99999 by WBB
Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:47 pm
It's cheap because it sucks. You get what you pay for!
#101427 by AirViking
Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:52 pm
yanidy wrote:This Bass head - Behringer 450 watt, BX4500H costs only ab0ut $200 at Guitar center. Why is it cheap considering it is 450 watts? Is the sound quality not good?

You know what? That was my first stage head. mine is from 2005, and still has no problem. Its actually one of my favorite heads too. Well ok, Ashdown, GK, and Ampeg take that spot, but its a decent made head that can take being ejected out of the band van's back door at 60, and still have all of its knobs, and work.

It sounds really good too, but i like its clean bright tone from my alum cones. the ultrabass function is a joke, but it handles really well besides that. I believe it has a "clean" function, or something to that extent, but i have that cranked and it sound just as good (or sometimes better) than my GK. But then again, I play my GK for shows and practice and dont see it much anymore. I would give it 4/5 stars. but for its price 5/5. Just hope you dont get a famous "lemon" from them or it'll never work.

#101515 by Starfish Scott
Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:33 pm
I am a tried and true "AMPEG" user for bass.

I have a Marshall Bass Head and a Fender Bassman Ten combo.

They are not bad, but should be mic'd.

Otherwise, I never mic an AMPEG bass head or combo.
I am sure there are some you should mic, but so far I never had the need.

Simple sometimes defines quality.

If you like what you are using, it's working for you.