This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#90664 by jimmydanger
Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:52 am
Speaking of covers, has anyone heard Anberlin's version of New Order's "True Faith"? At first I wasn't crazy about it but it grows on you.

#90676 by fisherman bob
Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:46 am
Prevost82 wrote:
Capt. Scott wrote:Amen Bob, play what you want and F the crowd.

I always hear this crap about "play what the audience wants to hear".

Ah no, we'll play what we want and if they liked it, we'll be back. Else it's "Done, done, on to the next one".

:lol: ... sound advice if you want to keep playing in the your basement.

I don't care if it's original or cover music ... if you play them enough times you'll get sick of them, especially badly written originals, and if the songs you pick suck and the audience thinks they suck .. you won't get many gigs. The audience is the one that's paying you ... I think F'ing the crowd is a great business model.

I'm not advocating that you play songs like Mustang Sally ... there's a lot of other well written, well known tunes out there that are not over played.

I play a lot of gigs in genre's that I don't care for, like country .. but hay ... in the end I was playing out, getting paid and it broadens my depth in music.

Ron
First of all I always get ASKED back wherever I gig. Second, I'm NEVER going to be in a covers only band. I've been in bands that did nearly ALL originals and some that only did a few, but I always play originals. We do just enough very recognizable tunes where there's always a few people that have to hear something they know. Those tunes legitimize everything else we do. Third, our originals are BETTER than our covers. They have to be since people don't know them YET. We practice the originals much more than the covers. We do a pretty lame version of I Feel Good (James Brown) but people like it no matter how lame it is. Some songs are like that. In years past we played some of the LAMEST cover tunes and those were the ones people liked the most. I don't F the crowd necessarily but I do play a minority of well known tunes MY WAY. If I had to play cookie cutter versions of ANY cover I wouldn't even gig. I play songs MY WAY and always play originals and by pure dumb luck we get asked back every time. I'm a creative musician first and foremost, not a "live" jukebox and I don't take requests. The audience gets a load of ME and that has to be good enough, it usually is...

#90685 by Starfish Scott
Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:57 am
Ah I see...

Well, we're entertainers. WE talk too much, we smoke too much, (no one drinks) and yeah we get abusive but we always have fun.

No, I can't say we play every place we've ever played before again, but would you really want to? (not me)

I've seen some dives.

And I have also found some places that are largely unknown and fun.

Point is, it's what you bring to it, not what the site brings to you and if you love what you do, well then keep on keeping on.

(so F the crowd and you too if'n ya don't like it) (I rather doubt that any one way is the only way to get the job done)

#90713 by jimmydanger
Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:06 pm
That's the most sensible thing you've ever said Capt. There is no one way.

I have friends that play in all cover bands and make a pile. I also have friends that never play out because they are constantly trying people out and perfecting the tunes. But the friends that play all or mostly originals seem to have the most fun.

#90717 by neanderpaul
Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:37 pm
Capt. Scott wrote:Learn to spell ADVICE.

sh*t even I know how to spell check.

Since you're being so .... so.... Capt. Scott.

While Using "advise" for "advice" is a common mistake and wrong in this case....

SPELL CHECK WON'T CATCH THAT BECAUSE IT IS A CORRECTLY SPELLED WORD YOU BLOATED SACK OF PROTOPLASM.

#90721 by Starfish Scott
Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:11 pm
My protoplasm of a brain indicates to me that if I wasn't sure, I could Google it unless I am lazy AND ignorant.

I am hoping it's just one or the other.. lol

#90727 by neanderpaul
Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:38 pm
The ones that crawl me are...

I have a car for sell

I will sale it for $4000

and...

It has new breaks!

:evil:

#90781 by jimmydanger
Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:47 pm
I like when some guy goes on a rant and starts calling people 'loosers'.

#90788 by Starfish Scott
Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:09 am
You should look at the RANTS AND RAVES section of your local Craigslist.

You see THAT all the time.

#90793 by neanderpaul
Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:38 am
C-list is where I see the sale/sell crap.
#92268 by IzzyFunderburke
Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:51 pm
Play what sounds good to YOU, but also appeals to the crowd. example i like tom petty, i play tom petty, but make sure the crowd will like it to.Dont play Megadeth at an easy listening festival. dont play pink floyd at a death metal concert

#92269 by philbymon
Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:57 pm
I would play Floyd at a death metal concert just to stand out & be different, & the crowd, 99% of the time, would like it. I play whatever comes to mind when I solo, no matter the venue, & never get booed (unless I'm singing Country Roads off-key on purpose...I've had ppl yell "you suck" at me for that...LOL).

#92405 by fisherman bob
Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:46 pm
philbymon wrote:I would play Floyd at a death metal concert just to stand out & be different, & the crowd, 99% of the time, would like it. I play whatever comes to mind when I solo, no matter the venue, & never get booed (unless I'm singing Country Roads off-key on purpose...I've had ppl yell "you suck" at me for that...LOL).
Actually singing off key on purpose is hard to do if you normally sing on key. Sad thing is that some singers sing off key and don't know it.

#92653 by JaszboChristus
Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:35 am
neanderpaul wrote:The ones that crawl me are...

I have a car for sell

I will sale it for $4000

and...

It has new breaks!

:evil:

I really hate it when definately is used instead of definitely, and when they use then, instead of than, or vice versa.

#92667 by philbymon
Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:53 pm
they're - there - their

your - you're

of cause - of course

or anyone that pronounces the "t" in "often!"