This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#66668 by repressthecadence
Fri May 08, 2009 12:48 am
One of these days when I can scrounge up the cash for it, I'll pay for some guitar lessons. I've only been playing for a little under 2 years now, but I feel like I've hit a plateau and I'd like to rise above that.

#66671 by HowlinJ
Fri May 08, 2009 1:19 am
I never actually took any lessons, but I gawked over the shoulder of many good keyboard players in my day. I have a Steve Allen video for jazz piano that I picked up a few good dog tricks. I also appropriated my wife's "Building Walking Bass Lines" book, and expanded my bass playin' horizons. Most the rest of my musical abilities are from "on the job training" :)

however...

Lessons still seems like a good idea, so make the best of it, Kramerguy. :wink:

Howlin'

#69066 by Black57
Sun May 31, 2009 4:19 am
Lessons just make you a better lumberjack...in other words you improve your ability to handle your ax. I am going to attempt to take a jazz improv class. I have been wanting to study with this particular teacher for a long time plus I would like for him to hear me play.

Ian Anderson was self taught and did not take flute lessons until he was in his forties or fifties.

#69067 by Black57
Sun May 31, 2009 4:22 am
repressthecadence wrote:One of these days when I can scrounge up the cash for it, I'll pay for some guitar lessons. I've only been playing for a little under 2 years now, but I feel like I've hit a plateau and I'd like to rise above that.

Check out what the local comunity colleges offer. If I had the time I would take a guitar class at any of the local community colleges for less than 30 dollars a semester.

#72977 by JazzGtr
Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:39 pm
Everytime I feel that I'm hitting a wall, I get the books out. It's hard work. But you would be surprise how much new stuff is created reviewing keys, scales and modes. I tend to hit the creative wall when I don't play with other individuals often.

#73131 by jsantos
Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:41 pm
Good to hear about you getting instruction to further your abilities.

You may want to ask your teacher about guiding you through some helpful topics in musical perspective:

Music theory, Intervalic Formulations, Chord Inversions, Relative Pitch Training and Harmonization.

I think these helped me out with both my creativity and technique.

Good luck Kramerguy and have fun.

#73174 by Kramerguy
Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:54 pm
I took two years of theory in college - I have to admit, I hated it... turned music into mathematical formulas and somewhere it was losing the feeling, although now I look back and am thankful that I got the insight that I did.. and somewhat glad that I stopped where I did.

As it stands.. I'm already giving up on my acoustic project and might have to stop all playing to get CT surgery. I was diagnosed a year ago and put on a management system, but just lately, that system is failing and the CT is getting staggeringly worse... woe is me :(

If I can get back to a maintenance level from quitting acoustic.. maybe I can avoid the surgery.. but that might just be wishful thinking at this point.

Ah well, wish me luck, I go see the doc next week

#73178 by gbheil
Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:22 pm
Luck wished and prayers offered.

#89193 by M Mikael
Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:59 am
Who can help me figure out the notes that Robert Cray is playing on the song called "My last regret" There are no tabs anywhere and all I have is this video. Is there anyone who can help me out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHFfmwFHOq0

#90050 by Kramerguy
Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:41 pm
wow, a jazz guitarist might be used to hearing the notes and pick it up right away, but personally, I'd have to stop and repeat every note literally dozens of times before I got the whole thing down. It takes one hell of an ear, and familiarity doesn't hurt.

If there were tabs online, I'd assume they were wrong anyways. Let's be honest, these people writing tabs can't even figure out 3-note pop songs and simple rock bar-chord songs right. I almost never look up tab anymore.

#92281 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:07 am
Stateway this is basic stuff, come on just pick out the main line then choose how you want to harmonize it.
Clue: do NOT get stuck in positional playing.
#92551 by LeeChavez
Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:59 am
Kramerguy wrote:I'm signed up to take weekly lessons.

I'm really surprised at how much I've learned, especially in the last three years, really feel like I've stepped up to a whole new level recently.

But at the same time, I also realize that I am still a complete noob in many areas. Time to expand my horizons.

8)

Guitar World: Lead Guitar BOOT CAMP DVD - Transcript, was AMAZING! Picked that bad boy up right as I saw it on news stands! Helped me unlock the 7 modes real well, as well as other usefull things!

#95382 by gtZip
Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:51 am
After 23 years of playing guitar, I figured out that I will probably need another 23 years to be any good.
:)