This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#89362 by Reddy2Rock
Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:31 pm
Yeah, about that, probably not a cool thing to do, I know--- but I was just trying to maintain objectivity. In other words, I didn't want anyone's evaluation to be biased by opinions they had formed about me in the past -- you know, first impressions are lasting...

Voice lessons -- yeah I think y'all finally convinced me.... I will pursue that. I had them twice in the past but not for that long and it's been over 6 years. Problem is finding someone in the thriving metropolis of Dayton OH who isn't going to try to make me sound like an opera singer! Any suggestions where to look?

#89390 by philbymon
Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:27 pm
Opera may not be your style or preferred genre, but it's something that will surely help you to learn vocal basics.

Short of that, ask your local music stores, try out for your church choir (free lessons here, if you can find one to accept you), or your local college. You can also send a friendly note to your local high school music teacher/choral director, asking for lessons or advice. don't leave out your local theater group. Any of these ppl may need some extra walk-around cash, & your $20-30 donation in exchange for weekly lessons will surely help someone out there, as they help you along.

#89679 by fisherman bob
Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:18 am
I'm not familiar with any of these covers but correct me if I'm wrong. Are you trying to sing them like the original vocalist on each one? There's a LOT of straining going on. How about RELAXING a little bit and sing them any way you want to. I think you have a decent enough voice. It sounds like you're trying to sound like somebody else. I've NEVER tried to emulate any famous singer's voice. I just sing. Just sing each of these the way you feel comfortable. This kind of reminds me of actors who over-act. You are over-singing. Try singing these within your limitations. You might be pleasantly surprised at the results....

#89691 by Starfish Scott
Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:49 am
Maybe Ryan would teach you to do some heavy stuff vocally.

(Sorry Ryan, I know you can take it..) lol
#91049 by RobBradley
Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:00 am
TJ_211 wrote:First off thanks to anyone who listened to my efforts before and provided feedback. It was very helpful. I've been working hard the last month trying to do this better, and it'd be great if I could get another objective evaluation.

Keep in mind that I'm not shooting for recording artist quality here, by any means. I just want to use these to spark interest so I can get some auditions for local bands, and hopefully have a leg up on the competition.

If you hear any problems, it would be awesome to get an idea where they are. I'm hoping that if things need to be fixed I can avoid having to re-record everything.

My demos can be found at http://www.bandmix.com/tj_211/

Thanks again.

It would be easier if I saw a video of these performances, but from what I heard it sounds like you're forcing a lot of your higher notes, you sound a little closed as well. I would suggest you read into how the soft palette works and work on stretching it whenever you slide into your highs. Also, make sure you work on your support(ie the diaphragm/back muscles etc.), it doesn't sound like you're going to be able to continually sing this way for a hour or longer.

But like the other posters, yeah you sound like you're really straining especially on your higher chest notes. The 1st song was for the most part, pitch-wize, on point but the others have moments where you are either pretty flat or sharp. I saw you stated you wanted to get lessons, it's a great idea, my coach helped me iron out a lot of issues I had in the past. I don't consider myself perfect though, but a coach is a great idea.

Although still, for the best evaluation, I would post a video if I were you, we could see how you approached the notes more clearly.

#91063 by Hayden King
Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:19 am
Sorry, I didn't read the responses to see if anyone mentioned it but... it sounds like your yelling; just let it flow a bit more. Your flat as well; try to keep the music low so you can hear your pitch matching with it better for a while and that may help you get a handle on it.

just my .2 for ya

good luck!

#91611 by adurbin
Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:41 am
My first post here, but with all do respect..theres been alot of back and fourth about on pitch-off pitch. There was even a comment made about "long time musicians having ultra fine hearing". Dude, your doing covers....If you get on a stage and do these, and are off pitch, even the untrained ear is going to hear it. Especially in Here without you and Diary of Jane. These songs are played over and over and over again on the radio. Everyone that would step into a bar to hear your band play would know these songs, and also know that you were butchering them with a soup spoon.

#91620 by neanderpaul
Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:06 am
Welcome adurbin, post some music!

#91788 by ZXYZ
Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:38 am
TJ-
Try (on pupose) to sing flat. That way, when you go sharp, you'll be right on key. When I first started singing that helped me. You get excited and go sharp. It's natural. Happens to the best of us.

#92050 by Southernboy
Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:51 am
May I kindly say that V.I.T. in Los. A Ca. Would be the place to go if you wanna rock. Or you`re either born with. My buddy, my bass player b4 the badarse mother I have now. Craig Roberts, is NO SLOUCH !! That boy can thump ,slam everything he`s mega solid. He joined that band BJ`S(LOL) Breaking Benji`s walk in after one week playing with them, told them they sucked and walked out . True story!! lol I don`t know their music, he`s about 10 years young. My sh*t`s more old school, Like Down,C.O.C., Clutch & Skynard & so on. I read the bands name & thought I`d tell it, to me it`s funny. The boy`s that good!

Damn can`t wait to buy my 8 track digi soon Gonna lay somemore hot tracks down . This time they`ll be mine though & not just playing :twisted:
Last edited by Southernboy on Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#92063 by eseime
Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:49 am
I think you need to work on developing your "own" sound. I think you're trying to sing to these covers too much. I don't pride myself on being a vocalist, but I do sing backups for the band I'm in. Even still, I think a little practice in "working out" your voice and you should be fine. For me? I'll stick to the backup vocals and the song writing hehe.

#92094 by Paleopete
Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:02 pm
I'm only on the start of the 3rd song, but I agree with the common opinion so far, you need to work on pitch control. so far I hear nothing glaring, but I hear you straining on high notes and not quite hitting the pitch you want at times.

Try this. If you look at someone's ear, you'll see a little flap in the middle, pointing toward the back of the head. Put your finger on that flap and press in until you hear your voice loud and clear. Then do it with a piano or organ and try to match every note in your range. You should hear it "warble", for lack of a better word, when off pitch and it should sound like one note when on pitch.

Also try to stay within your range, don't try to hit notes too high for you. Relax some too, it helps. Drink nothing cold, carbonated or alcoholic for an hour before and during singing. Especially during, I drink room temperature water with a good dose of lemon juice added, it helps clear the vocal chords. I keep plenty pre-mixed at gigs, that's all I ever drink. It's not as nasty as it may sound, and helps clear the vocal chords quite well, at the end of the night I can usually still hit the high notes. I sometimes will have a cup of coffee too, but not often, it's usually water and lemon juice.

Cold - freezes your vocal chords, they need to be warm and relaxed. Cold is bad.

Carbonated - Ditto, usually cold, and the carbonation tends to dry the vocal chords. Bad...

Alcohol - Dries the vocal chords too, and once you have a couple of drinks, you start to get sloppy. Very bad...Also carbonated and cold, so your vocal chords are frozen, dried out and you're sloppy too, definitely not good...

Try the finger in your ear trick, you can hear yourself a lot better and will have a much better idea if you are actually hitting the pitch you want. You may not remember the Bee Gees on TV in the 60's, but one of them almost always had his hand to his ear. That is what he was doing, so he could hear himself better. It must have worked, those guys sang some of the most incredible harmonies I've ever heard. Once you can really hear yourself, you will start to improve.

I also agree with another comment, concentrate on developing your own sound. Copying someone else is fun, I can get pretty close to Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull, Mark Knopfler of Dire Sraits, Joe Walsh, Neil Young and several others. It's fun, but I mostly try to sing like ME...I just let my natural nasally, raspy voice do its thing and sometimes add a good Johnny Winter growl, it works quite well and I've never been told I can't sing...usually I ended up being lead singer for the bands I was in until I got sick of it and just refused to be lead man any more.

Develop your own voice. You can still copy other people, I've even done a pretty decent Robert Plant quite a few times, but I like it best just doing a good ME...Work on that, and pitch control and you should do OK, you do have a good voice, you just need to control it better and use it as your instrument.