This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#5988 by auto defiance
Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:19 am
WHo is the most influencial post-punk band of all time? who is the most underrated?? Post up your favorites, and hopefully we can get a nice list here. I myself are torn between the Smiths and The Cure. I also have a band and you could probably hear great influences in my own songwriting. Thanks guys! take care!
Bradlee-
auto defiance
http://www.myspace.com/theautodefinace

#6001 by gexclamationpoint
Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:47 pm
there is no such thing as post punk because true punk is still out there if you know where to look.

usually, i find that bands that call themselves post punk are the ones that want to be punk but lack the real, raw energy.

#6002 by gexclamationpoint
Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:54 pm
i also listened to the music on your page. while im not saying its bad music because other people might of course like it, i will say that i really recommend you stop referring to your band as anything with the word punk in it. i honestly think your band would get a lot more respect if you did that.

#6594 by SDavis22
Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:55 pm
g!,

As you once said to me: this isn't meant to be an attack...

There actually is such a thing as Post-Punk. Punk, as it's own original sub-genre, was only around from the mid-to-late seventies. It was revolutionary by stripping away the artiness of Hard Rock/Heavy Metal, returning rock and roll to its simple three-chord form, and playing it fast and loud (and with socially conscious lyrics, most of the time). It was born out of the Proto-Punk of the '60s and early seventies (Stooges, Velvet Underground, Faces, New York Dolls, Kinks, etc.). It ended, as an original sound in popular music, when Punk groups arrived that were themselves influenced by Punk Rock. These subsequent groups spawned sub-genres like Post-Punk, Hardcore Punk, New Wave, Alternative, Punk-Pop (gag me!), etc. all from original Punk Rock. Bands can play 'real' punk but it is still 'post-punk' because that genre isn't a new, driving, revolutionary force as it was back then. Parents used to be afraid that 'punks' would destroy the world or something but now everyone sees a punk rocker as someone who simply likes Punk Rock - it's not a revolutionary thing anymore.

auto defiance,
I would have to say that Joy Division was the quintessential Post-Punk group. They pretty much started Alternative Rock (fusing Punk, Heavy Metal, and Hard Rock) which started booming in the '80s and hasn't gone away yet. If you want to hear some of the very best Post-Punk, listen to Joy Division's records 'Unknown Pleasures', and 'Closer'...

#6641 by gexclamationpoint
Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:55 am
this is probably more of an opinion on my part, but the bands/examples that you gave for "protopunk," i usually think of them as "classic punk." there are bands people always associate with the punk movement of the mid 70's like the sex pistols, and thats hard for me to really accept because the sex pistols were actually formed as, basically, a joke, to promote a local sex shop.

also, if you consider punk to be, above all else, counter-culture and counter-mainstream, then those "proto" bands were doing it years before the pistols.

i dunno, its a blurry subject. i think that people see the end of the 70's as the end of true punk because it began to lose its punch, but i honestly believe its still out there. it may have evolved and changed a bit, but then again so has the world and social issues, so i think to have the same punch and the same focus as it did in the 70's would just be, well, boring.

anyway, because i dont consider punk dead, thats why i dont really see a need for "post-punk," even though i know the era it refers to.

#6765 by SDavis22
Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:45 pm
g! wrote:this is probably more of an opinion on my part, but the bands/examples that you gave for "protopunk," i usually think of them as "classic punk." there are bands people always associate with the punk movement of the mid 70's like the sex pistols, and thats hard for me to really accept because the sex pistols were actually formed as, basically, a joke, to promote a local sex shop.

also, if you consider punk to be, above all else, counter-culture and counter-mainstream, then those "proto" bands were doing it years before the pistols.

i dunno, its a blurry subject. i think that people see the end of the 70's as the end of true punk because it began to lose its punch, but i honestly believe its still out there. it may have evolved and changed a bit, but then again so has the world and social issues, so i think to have the same punch and the same focus as it did in the 70's would just be, well, boring.

anyway, because i dont consider punk dead, thats why i dont really see a need for "post-punk," even though i know the era it refers to.

Yeah, Proto-Punk/Classic Punk - same thing.

The Sex Pistols were one of the greatest Punk bands of all time. Britain actually thought that they would rile their entire generation to bring down the Monarchy and banned them from almost everywhere! Nobody can do that or even come close any more. Britney Spears is more controversial than any modern Punk acts, unfortunately.

Punk of the '70s was counter-culture and, you're right, so were the Proto-Punk groups. Actually, Rock and Roll was counter-culture music in the late '50s as well - parents were very afraid of Elvis Presley... People don't realize that the Beatles were the sound of the street at the time, too. They were all involved with street gangs and a violent club culture in their hometown. Best example of counter-culture music was the San Fransisco scene in the mid-to-late '60s. Imagine anyone in our generation putting that together! But, what started out as good intentions turned out to be a commercialized/superficial drug culture that killed off some amazing people/musicians.

Punk is still out there, but it was a fad. It's not a force like it used to be... Clearly moronic Alternative-Metal, Pop-Punk/Emo, Pop-Rap. Pop-Country, and 'Indie' are what record companies are selling now (again, unfortunately). Your guess is as good as mine on how to change all the superficial bullshit that sells around into something worthwhile again. But I don't think prolonging a style that already came and went will work - we already know where those styles landed contemporary music (turn on MTV).

#8700 by redstrat
Fri May 18, 2007 7:35 pm
g! wrote:there is no such thing as post punk because true punk is still out there if you know where to look.

usually, i find that bands that call themselves post punk are the ones that want to be punk but lack the real, raw energy.
STOOGES ; RAMONES

#8720 by gexclamationpoint
Sat May 19, 2007 6:17 am
redstrat wrote:
g! wrote:there is no such thing as post punk because true punk is still out there if you know where to look.

STOOGES ; RAMONES

..im not sure what thats referring to.

#9018 by C.Cat
Mon May 28, 2007 5:46 pm
Anyone like Magazine? I've got their album Real Life and I used to listen to it every day!

#9022 by SDavis22
Mon May 28, 2007 7:20 pm
Yeah that's a very good record. I haven't listened to it for a couple years but I used to. I love the cover art, among other things.

#9246 by MacLeod
Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:50 am
Joy division didn't start alternative rock, Wire and Ultravox were doing it when JD were still called warsaw and playing the local clubs in Manchester. I know that for a fact because I hung about with Ian Curtis and Hooky & gigged with them several times with my own punk band at the time.

One thing I will agree on is that they were all influenced by Lou Reed, David Bowie, Ian Hunter etc.

The trouyble with the punk scene in the UK was that the real punk bands who were usually kids who couldnt play very well were overun by the rock bands that jumped on the bandwaggon of punk at the time. It was mostly these bands that continued to enjoy success well after the punk scene had died out.

Bands like the Clash, The Jam, Elvis Costello etc. These bands were never really true punk in the first place but they swamped the scene very quickly

#20557 by jmccabe
Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:20 am
C.Cat wrote:Anyone like Magazine? I've got their album Real Life and I used to listen to it every day!

Magazine were a fantastic band, and I'd vote them as the most influential post-punk band. If you've only got Real Life, you're missing loads. Get "The Correct Use Of Soap" and "Play" (best live album ever IMO) at the very least.

#20568 by HowlinJ
Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:46 am
Whoa! Nearly forgot about "Magazine". One of my favorite songs by them was "Permafrost", from the album "Secondhand Daylight".

I was also a big fan of "Howard Devoto's" first band, "The Buzzcocks"!

#31195 by M3
Sun May 11, 2008 4:00 am
The Replacements

#42618 by thesystemhasfailed
Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:08 pm

tell em!!!