This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#8070 by BigDaddyCh0ps
Fri May 04, 2007 12:05 am
I think both are tremendous musicians i don't even want to say whose better, there both very good song writers too. They are also from two different worlds like Tom is a Effect pedal Guru and Frusciante is melodic hero i think its hard to compare.

#8078 by gexclamationpoint
Fri May 04, 2007 1:10 am
just as an opinion, i like john's style much more.

both of them have great qualities, though, and are original

#8174 by Runcers
Sun May 06, 2007 2:49 pm
Both bands are awful. Audioslave being the more melodic of the two. The Chilli's are appaling. Under the bridge is such a poor tune I have to turn it off when i hear it on the radio.

#8326 by darockguitar1
Wed May 09, 2007 4:29 pm
hahaha wow, ur on drugs dude to think they're awful anyway, i like some oldies too

#8342 by Runcers
Thu May 10, 2007 12:50 am
Don't get me wrong I do like modern bands just not them. As for drugs I don't touch them. I just find them about as melodic as a fart in a pipe

#8349 by gexclamationpoint
Thu May 10, 2007 3:38 am
true, not the band to listen to if youre looking for melodic

#8420 by mistermikev
Fri May 11, 2007 1:38 pm
the only important member of RHCP is flea. If you don't recognize him as one of the best bass players that ever lived you don't know shite about playing bass. The guys rythm style and placement of notes is uncomparable. I like Rage their ok. They've got some hits. I like RHCP, but not for gtr (lead) playing. Ton of hits from higher ground to under the bridge to around the world... but even if you don't like the band - you have to admit flea is damn good.

#8504 by Runcers
Tue May 15, 2007 11:19 am
I never said Flea wasn't a good musician, he's very good. I was refering to the band as a whole and their music.

As for being one of the best bass players to have ever lived I'll agree with that only in to the extent that he's not one of the worst.

I would find it hard to compare him to the likes of Stanley Clarke or Jaco Pastorious technically and I doubt even he would consider himself to be in thier league. However, he is certainly a great musician. Myself I prefer bass players who sound like bass players rather than bass players trying to play lead solos. I prefer fewer notes per second and a good solid rythm section.

But we all like different music and thats what makes music so great, its diversity :)

#8545 by Vocals & Bass
Wed May 16, 2007 8:08 am
The big dawg out of both bands is Chris Cornel, In my personal opinion .

#8557 by mistermikev
Wed May 16, 2007 2:13 pm
Runcers wrote:I never said Flea wasn't a good musician, he's very good. I was refering to the band as a whole and their music.

As for being one of the best bass players to have ever lived I'll agree with that only in to the extent that he's not one of the worst.

I would find it hard to compare him to the likes of Stanley Clarke or Jaco Pastorious technically and I doubt even he would consider himself to be in thier league. However, he is certainly a great musician. Myself I prefer bass players who sound like bass players rather than bass players trying to play lead solos. I prefer fewer notes per second and a good solid rythm section.

But we all like different music and thats what makes music so great, its diversity :)

A. wasn't necc talking to you runc...
B. flea doesn't play lead on the bass. He is very much a hold down the fort player.
C. jaco is ok: I'm not that crazy about notes... more timing. and on that note(pardon the pun) jaco isn't as good as flea IMHO. Jaco is more of a soloist than flea ever was on any song. both clark and jaco are great technical musicians... I wouldn't compare flea to vic wooten either... and wooten is a lot better technician than either jaco or clark(I know many would argue that but)... IMO... so is les claypool... but those four are all in dif catagorys. jaco and clark are note technicians... vic and claypool are rythm/slap techs. You don't hear ANY of them on top 40. I don't think any of them are 'holding down the fort' either -all showboats.
Admittedly, I should have said... flea is perhaps one of the best pop music bassists ever.
I would put him right next to paul, john paul, gene simmons, dave larue, sting, entwistle - all guys who could 'hold it down' IMO.

AFA cornell - loved him with temple of the dog. never cared for 'black hole sun' etc. unbelievable voice - guess I'm just to old for the heavy stuff!

#8679 by darockguitar1
Fri May 18, 2007 12:57 pm
Defininetly can't dispute Cornell's voice, he got some lungs the guy, but what's all this I'm hearing that he left Audioslave because he wanted to get payed more than everyone else in the band? idk

#8722 by gexclamationpoint
Sat May 19, 2007 6:23 am
xxestyxx wrote:Defininetly can't dispute Cornell's voice, he got some lungs the guy, but what's all this I'm hearing that he left Audioslave because he wanted to get payed more than everyone else in the band? idk

thats what i heard too. not sure if its true, but i heard he wanted 50% of the profit, and the other 50% was to be split among the other 3 bandmates. hes lucky im not in the band, i would have smashed his face in.

#8932 by darockguitar1
Fri May 25, 2007 12:38 pm
haha yeah that greedy f**k

#10696 by Johnny Rock Bottom
Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:13 am
Personal opinion of an old fart.

The 2 bands are not comparable because of the total pisture.

If you look at RHCP's total body of work-and pay attention to how they evolve-lyrics-musicainship-melody(yeah I think that's important) and VERSATILiTY (if you listen to Stadium Arcadium and the shear NUMBER of sounds John gets out of his guitar in even ONE song never mind the whole album) like many different sounds and moods of music all accomplished with few instruments and personel OR studio production techniques--the only thing that this can be attributed to is the creativity of the indivduals themselves AND their ability to work together.

Too many Bands these days get STUCK in one sound that eventually fizzles out.They hit on a "SOUND" but run out of steam when they can't write SONGS that have different subjacts and moods.RHCP continues to write great songs with music to match the mood of the lyrics.They don't just keep making the same sound and put words to it.(A great example I think of this is Linkin Park--- every song sounds alike with the plinking piano and Chester destroying his vocal chords).

Another band that writes good songs and mixes it up a bit is Foo Fighters.But they still don't have the range that RHCP has.