This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#82410 by eseime
Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:57 am
What's interesting about this is that I was just hit up on myspace by a girl named Chloe who said she's an A&R rep for Song Placements Inc. She mentioned the song she was interested in by name. The weird thing was that she told me to respond to the email with my phone number. Maybe that's me being overly cautious.

I think we all know how tough this business is. Making any kind of headway is dependent upon who you know, who knows you, THEN talent.

I think I'll respond to her email, I'd personally like to know a little more information. And from what RM said, he talked to someone and was able to ask all the questions he wanted.

An important thing to keep in mind with all of this is that the music industry on a whole has changed since the internet revolution. The general pathways to "making" it have changed and opportunities are even fewer and more far between.

RM keep us posted on your success. I'll try to do the same. I guess it involves a little faith in your music hehe.

http://www.myspace.com/eseimemusic

#82471 by gbheil
Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:02 pm
But I am discontent with the pervading pessimism here; and I will not apologize for being angry at that.

I am going to accept my part of the responsibility for this being a true statement.
I am a pessimist, my distrust of mankind boarders on paranoia.
My beer is half empty at all times.

I hope you do really well Alan.

You, and others whom venture forth like this are like the tourch bearers going down a long dark tunnel.
The rest off us can only hope to follow closely in your foot steps and learn from your experiences.

#82475 by jimmydanger
Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:22 pm
I like to think of myself as a skeptical optimist.

The people I have talked to in the music biz say Taxi is a reputable company but they do nothing for you that you couldn't do yourself. They take advantage of people who really believe their music is good enough to "make it", but the truth is their music is either too similar to other, better music or it's only average or just plain bad. The cream shall rise; if you have a good product and do your best to promote it there is a small chance you will be successful.

#82508 by RhythmMan
Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:07 pm
Nothing will ever be attempted if all objections must first be quelled.
No one will make it to 2nd base if they try to keep one foot on first.
Instead of waiting for our ship to come into our tiny little harbor, we need to row out to meet it . . .
Ya gotta move!
So, I'm moving . . .
Gotta grab life as it goes by - or it WILL go by . . . (just without you) . . .
But these services are better for some musicians than others.
Why?
Well . . . the average musician (by the very definition of the word) - is just that: average.
Some are 'more,' some are 'less,' but most of us are average.
If our music sounds like everyone else's music, then we're just another drop of water in the ocean.
So - if you have a different sound - you might want to consider taking the next step - or a leap.
You can't cross a chasm with 2-3 small jumps - it takes a big leap . . .
Remember; there's a thousand reasons why a thing won't work.
And a few reasons why a thing CAN work.
In a race, the guy who loses has a bunch of good reasons why he lost the race; (bad knee, hurt my foot, not enough sleep, couldn't make this event, couldn't . . .) . . . yeah, yeah: yadda, yadda, yadda . . .
But the guys who win the races only have a couple reasons that they won. Like, "I practiced a lot," and "I took some chances," for example . . .
I've got a feeling a big part of success - in any field - is our attitudes.
It's attitude, over aptitude, which will determine our altitude in life.

#82515 by ratsass
Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:44 pm
RhythmMan wrote:If our music sounds like everyone else's music, then we're just another drop of water in the ocean.

We've already discussed how, in the music biz, when a certain music is popular, the bigwigs want all the bands to sound like that, to keep making as much money on it as they can. So, we have the pioneers who come up with a new sound and if it's successful, then come the clones riding on the tails of that success. It's the way it works.
So, we have the pioneers who take those chances and follow their hearts to come up with an original sound, against all odds that they'll actually make it big. And we have the clones that are, in all rights, good musicians. They just don't have the originality of the pioneers, or they choose not to try for an original sound, because they know it's easier to get signed if you sound like what's popular out there.
We, as musicians, will, for the most part, have way more respect for the pioneers as true musicians. But, we shouldn't judge the clones too harshly, for they are looking at it from a different point of view.
So it all comes down to a personal choice...do I try to create new musical ideas, or do I take existing ideas and try to do them better to shorten that long road to success?
Just my thoughts.

#82517 by Chippy
Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:47 pm
Negative RM

I cross the Chasm each and every day whilst writing things folks do not want to listen to any more.

Mind I am not a musician, and not intent on getting anywhere ~ at this time.

#82647 by RhythmMan
Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:26 pm
Hey, ratsass,
Yeah, I agree with what you're saying about originals and covers. I was referring to the company in question; they are looking for all original music, that's all. TV, movies, all originals . . . different area of music; not even live performances.
I've heard a lot of highly talented cover bands.
We all have favorite songs. What's better than getting up on stage and sharing the music with a crowd of appreciatlve listeners, eh?
To me - it's all about enjoying what you're playing, whatever it is . . .
Chippy - what writing are you referring to? The forum, lyrics, or something else?
Last edited by RhythmMan on Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

#82648 by Starfish Scott
Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:35 pm
Ask Hayden, he met this jackass and his story rings of truth.

You do what you want, but a fool and his $ are soon parted.

#82704 by Chippy
Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:07 pm
Hi RM :D
No I was talking to myself again in relation to what I'm trying to accomplish. I do that, sorry.

I know for a fact the Genre I am working in is just about dead really. Kids want Hip-Hop, Grunge, something wild and creamy with a lot of spice these days which is the reason for this comment.

To me it simply doesn't matter. I'll go forward as I am again with some new/old stuff which to my ears sounds about right now.

I hope that explains everything? Many apologies.
Chippy.

RhythmMan wrote:Chippy - what writing are you referring to? The forum, lyrics, or something else?

#82718 by Kramerguy
Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:13 pm
RM,

While I haven't contributed much to this thread, I admit I've become the pessimist... but then again , not really.

I never saw myself as one, but definitely see myself as a cynic. I think there's a distinction between the two that makes a lot of difference.

A pessimist ALWAYS expects the worst, looks at the downside of even the most positive of situations.

A cynic will be quick to point out that even some of the most positive situations may not be as they seem, but that cynic isn't a pessimist about it. We've been known to smile now and again, something that pesky pessimist fails to ever do :P

So try to keep in mind, there really are few pessimists here. And you need the cynics.. someone's gotta keep yer ego in check :P har har

seriously though, we ALL could lighten up a bit....

#82724 by jimmydanger
Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:25 pm
Chippy wrote:Hi RM :D
No I was talking to myself again in relation to what I'm trying to accomplish. I do that, sorry.

I know for a fact the Genre I am working in is just about dead really. Kids want Hip-Hop, Grunge, something wild and creamy with a lot of spice these days which is the reason for this comment.

To me it simply doesn't matter. I'll go forward as I am again with some new/old stuff which to my ears sounds about right now.

I hope that explains everything? Many apologies.
Chippy.

RhythmMan wrote:Chippy - what writing are you referring to? The forum, lyrics, or something else?

Chippy, correct me if I'm wrong, but you're into Progressive/Art rock (i.e. Genesis) right? Yes, this genre's seen better days but it's not dead. Check out The Strawbs, especially the Deadlines album.

#82727 by Chippy
Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:30 pm
Yeah I hear yah but let's be honest. The genre is dead until someone somewhere lifts it. I liked Dopplars tunes. Still trying to get them and he's trying too.

It really is dead Jimmy, but I ain't leavin no time soon.

jimmydanger wrote:Chippy, correct me if I'm wrong, but you're into Progressive/Art rock (i.e. Genesis) right? Yes, this genre's seen better days but it's not dead. Check out The Strawbs, especially the Deadlines album.

#82741 by ratsass
Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:45 pm
RM, I wasn't exactly talking about cover bands, that's a whole different thing. I meant the bands that write original songs, but try to sound like all the bands that are currently HOT, just because that's a faster track to getting into the business. They are usually good musicians, and write some pretty good tunes, but to all us musicians who aren't genre driven, they come across as just another generic band. Or would that be genre-ic band? :) We are from a different era, I guess. One in which bands all tried harder to be different to stand out, because that's what the record industry was looking for then. Now, it's turned around, like sameness sells. I would say this is the industry's fault mostly because they are after the all-mighty dollar, but of course, that's what they were after back in the days of musical diversity. There is still a need for originality, so don't ever lose that perspective (as if you ever would).

Chippy, don't worry. Musical styles always come back around, though some not so much as others. As Joe Satriani said, "You may not like my music now, but in 10 years, you're gonna love it."

#82749 by Chippy
Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:08 pm
Classic.
Made my day did this.
Thanks Rat :roll:

:D

ratsass wrote:
Chippy, don't worry. Musical styles always come back around, though some not so much as others. As Joe Satriani said, "You may not like my music now, but in 10 years, you're gonna love it."

#83202 by garyfox8
Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:05 am
RhythmMan wrote:Yeah, Taxi charges about $300 to join, then a fee per each submitted song.
I think these guys are similar; but I've got the idea they're a little more main-stream - MTV and the like . . .
I saw a 3rd part article on them; they got a good review . . .evidently they've had unbridled success promoting their members; I don't think they're bottom feeders at all . . .
The articel I read said: "Song Placements is the leading, independent promotion and placement agency in Hollywood CA."
Yet they've only been in business since 2006.
What I was looking for was somone who actually did business with them.
Or anyone who's done business, previously with a different A & R reps.

Hey Rhythm Man (and everyone else here),

I just got the e-mail from one of their reps tonight. I don't know how they find us on MySpace, but they do. I do think they actually listen to a couple of songs. I did some research on them, which is also how I found this forum.

That 3rd party article you mention is availble in a few locations. However, it's not really an article, it is a press release from Song Placements via PRWeb. It then got picked up from there to other websites. They may be legit, but all of the press you are seeing about them is solely from their press releases. Caveat Emptor.

Please post back as soon as you get further updates or have other any other interactions with them. It would be interesting to hear what your experience is. I also plan on contacting a few of the bands they claim to have helped out to see what they have to say.

Good luck to you either way.

Cheers,

Gary

www.myspace.com/garyfox8