This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#82129 by innerstate
Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:52 am
What does anyone think about Garage band.

Is it good??

Are you on there??

Does it work??

#82177 by gbheil
Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:07 pm
Get a real band or choose another profession / hobby.

Not trying to be an ass, but you asked, so thats my honest opinion.

#82180 by Chippy
Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:11 pm
What is it?

#82263 by philbymon
Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:36 pm
Garageband is a catalogue of sampled bits of ppl playing instruments. It has nearly any instrument that you can thing of, too.

You layer & string together these sampled bits of other ppl's playing of short measures of music to "create" your own.

It should be called "Garbageband," imho, cuz there's virtually no creation involved, & you needn't know anything about music or playing an instrument to make your "own" thingie. It's more like a video game than anything truly musical, as far as I can tell.

It's fun to do, I'l admit, but one cannot call the results their own work.

#82267 by mistermikev
Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:11 pm
ooh, dang... sounds like a good source for cool loops... I'm all over it!

I know our opinions differ on this subject philby... but it's one thing to just slap 5 tracks together... it's another thing entirely to do what guys like the chemical brothers do.

I think your analogy to vid games def applies to the former but def NOT to the latter.

I wish I could do what those guys do with a few loops... not just ANYBODY can do it like they do... and of course, it's not music that everybody appreciates.

that said: I don't believe folks here are referencing 'garage band' the software for looping... they are making ref to garageband.com the site - just like myspace, reverbnation, or others where you can toss up your music (afa I know).