This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#4005 by JFrancom
Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:21 am
RUSH- Started in the 70's. Progressive rock.

Lineup-

Geddy Lee- Lead voc, bass, synthesizer, and bass synth pedals.

Neil Peart - 5000 tons of percussion, lyricist

Alex Lifeson- Backup voc, guitar, synth pedals.

-
Geddy is one of the bass guitar heroes and legends. He plays a beautiful bass role, keeping the low end, but has a heavy influence on the melody, playing more of the lead guitar role of the band. Plays keyboard/synth often in their songs, executed very well. Considered a virtuoso of the bass guitar, his riffs rip apart the bass standard, meanwhile keeping the heart and soul of bass intact, instead of just "Playing lead on the bass". His vocals are also signature to the band's sound. Shrill compared to a lot of other bands, but if you don't like it first, you'll grow to love it very soon. Done very well.

Neil Peart is also considered a virtuoso, a hero, and legend to the realm of percussion; solid time, never misses a beat. Meanwhile keeping complex time signatures and is a blur when he plays. However, just as the band in whole, none of them overplay, so you get top notch advanced playing without over emphasis on anything, making excellent music. He keeps it simple when it needs to be simple, and his fills give all their songs body. Not to mention his extensive ability to write. Most songs are done by him, such as the 'epics' or multi-act songs. Intelligent thinking music that relate to everything from "Subdivisions", to "The Manhattan Project", to "Time Stand Still". All well crafted.

Alex Lifeson is the under appreciated member of the group. Still receives tons of (deserved) praise, but he's nowhere near as known as the other two members. He plays guitar in a progressive style. Meaning he does some awesome guitar manipulation, getting all sorts of strange sounds from it, playing all different types of axes for varying sounds and emotions. He lays down some notable shredding when it's his time to shine, otherwise, he just uses the guitar unlike most people would think to do. You usually don't notice him too much in the back of the RUSH sound, but, just like the other two, is completely necessary to the sound. Without him, RUSH wouldn't have been RUSH.
-

The trio have produced some amazing songs, and a lot of people haven't heard of them, surprisingly enough. They've been around for 30 years and are still together.

The sheer amount of songs they have is staggering in comparison to a lot of bands. Boasting a markup of 30 albums, they are everywhere without most people realizing. Some of their most popular albums are 2112 and Moving Pictures.

They're reknown for long multi-act songs, such as, The Fountain of Lamneth, The Necromancer, Cygnus X-1 Book I, Cygnus X-1 Book II, and most known, 2112.

Some of their more popular songs follow as: Tom Sawyer, Fly By Night, Spirit of the Radio, Limelight, Closer to the Heart, and of course, YYZ, most of which are featured on the aforementioned album, Moving Pictures.

-

So, if you didn't know who they were, now you have a strong armament of knowledge to a strong band. Anyone who can appreciate pure musicianship should pay homage to an amazing band. Not to mention, their songs are extremely fun to play on any level for any instrument.

Anyone have any questions or comments about the band?

#4013 by Bobaloo in Mountain House
Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:21 am
No argument here JF...Rush is definitely one of those untouchable bands.

If anything, being a musician myself, these guys could keep the most talented musicians humbled. I've actually even hung up my guitars a couple of times after seeing pros of this calibre perform knowing I could never ever come close.

Then I'll watch ZZ Top or Green Day that are tight and gets crowds going and realize that the music doesn't have to be so complicated and perfect.

That's the beauty of music and I love to play.

#4325 by leonRay
Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:49 pm
Their music is unique. I love the changes from fast to slow and back again.

#8069 by BigDaddyCh0ps
Thu May 03, 2007 11:51 pm
RUSH rocks and i cant wait for the new album, i'm so pumped!
#9784 by Guitarwizardx
Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:23 pm
Just saw snakes and arrows Tour!! Was amazing! My dad grew up with geddy lee, they used to be good friends, so i got to go back stage and meet him!!!! wow RUSH IS AMAZING!

#9859 by BroomhandleDrums
Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:59 pm
I have been stuck on the Vapor Trails album for about 3 weeks now. I can't stop listnening to it. I am a huge fan and can not wait to get the chance to see them live.

#9865 by Mr. Destroyer
Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:35 pm
Without a dout, Signals is my fave Rush album. Subdivisions continues to blow me away every time I hear it.

#9932 by mistermikev
Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:42 pm
2112 - oh how I love thee..
don't really dig alex all that much... but as often is the case... his mediocre playing leaves tons of space for the two superstars to really have at it. wore out my 2112 tape(yes tape), then wore it out on cd too!
just can't get enough pert.

on top of all that - red barchetta(spelling?) is a song far ahead of it's time. brilliant lyrics.
#10217 by Sorna Project
Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:55 pm
I used to see Rush at the Trading Post in Detroit Mi. before they got signed so I know what you mean

#10378 by JJW III
Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:49 pm
I have been a huge fan of Rush since All the Worlds a Stage. I took my wife who is not a big concert person to a Rush concert and after the show she said to me I never need to see another concert? I asked why kind of sheepishly thinking she didn't like them. She replied "I can't picture that ever being topped".

#12022 by tukrhill
Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:28 pm
Just so you know Neil Peart was not the origanal drummer. I forget the guys name. I was a Peart head for many years.. I worshiped him while growind up in Canada. lol
Hands down one of the greatest drummers ever!

#12052 by JJW III
Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:55 pm
tukrhill wrote:Just so you know Neil Peart was not the origanal drummer. I forget the guys name. I was a Peart head for many years.. I worshiped him while growind up in Canada. lol
Hands down one of the greatest drummers ever!

John Rutsy was the original drummer.

#12579 by JJW III
Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:48 am
Greenie,

Did you listen to the entire Hemisphers album? IMO it is one of the best they ever did.

Then again Moving Pictures is awesome, so is 2112, and a Farewell to Kings, and Caress of Steel, and Power Windows and Permanent Waves, and Roll the Bones, and.......

Some body stop me!