This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#78151 by philbymon
Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:40 pm
The very 1st night I had my pug, Percy Sneezenwheezer, I took him to band practice. He seemed to know what I play, cuz he flopped down right in front of the bass cabinet & just stared at me while I played. It was kinda eerie...

Do keep us posted on this, Whitesel. Are you using the spray cans or are you gonna pay to have it dome?

#78199 by Whitesel
Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:20 am
I just got a can of it at the autoparts store to try out, sprayed a side with clear coat and letting it dry overnight than going to scruff up the clear coat and spray both sides and beat it around a bit. I'm just worried about big pieces flaking off, we'll have to see how it holds up to being scrapped at the edges. I did notice they did a Hammond Northern Chop in LineX

http://bborgan.com/northern-chop/?SID=e ... 63423e1a25

Would be interesting to see what it looks like now after a few gigs.

#78240 by gbheil
Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:06 pm
Keep us posted.

#79002 by badnomad
Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:41 pm
I have done several plywood cabinets using spray-on truck bed liner....they are in great shape after a couple of years use. Just remember to put several layers, letting each one set according to the instructions on the can. I used less than 2 cans on a 4/12 cabinet which is about the size of a Marshall half-stack.....the nice thing is that the cost is only about $8-$9 per can, and if you seriously damage the finish, you can easily repair it with a quick touch up.
Another thing that works well is wheel well/underbody spray coat, (RockerGuard).....It has a softer surface, and is more flexible, but almost as indestructible. Just make sure to get the artificial, (acrylic?) spray, and not the asphalt/tar-based spray, as the latter comes off all over everything.

Myke C. 8)

#79008 by gbheil
Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:48 pm
Yes, good information from and actual user. Cool!
Thanks man.

#79087 by badnomad
Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:56 pm
Whitesel wrote:I just got a can of it at the autoparts store to try out, sprayed a side with clear coat and letting it dry overnight than going to scruff up the clear coat and spray both sides and beat it around a bit. I'm just worried about big pieces flaking off, we'll have to see how it holds up to being scrapped at the edges.

Suggest that you spray it directly on the bare wood......this allows the first coat to bond solidly with the cabinet......I don't know about clear coating it afterward, but the truck bed liner spray is pretty indestructible.....Also clearcoat on top would give you a 'glossy' surface.

Myke C. 8)

#79105 by THORNED%^!
Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:19 pm
i have 4x12 cab that the tolex has more rips than me after a night of taco bell and cheap beer. even if i did go to replace it, i've never done it and think i may do a terrible job.

is it easy to do?

would i just use a staple gun? glue?

the bedliner thing sounds like a viable option. wonder if it would affect the tonal properties of the wood.

you have my attention.

#79132 by Lizzy Janes Rescue
Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:31 am
gutkill wrote:i have 4x12 cab that the tolex has more rips than me after a night of taco bell and cheap beer. even if i did go to replace it, i've never done it and think i may do a terrible job.

is it easy to do?

would i just use a staple gun? glue?

the bedliner thing sounds like a viable option. wonder if it would affect the tonal properties of the wood.

you have my attention.

If you are repairing rips use contact cement, never staples. That's what was used to put the tolex on originally. Spread the rip open and use a small model paint brush to paint some on the bare wood and also on the back of the tolex. Let both surfaces dry for about 10 minutes so the glue gets nice and tacky, then carefully press the tolex down on the wood closing the tear as you go. The glue will bond the two surfaces together and the tear will be mended.

#79135 by badnomad
Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:01 am
If you're talking about replacing the Tolex rather than repairing, you need to use something like contact cement all over the outside.....This requires a great deal of care during application, as you only get one chance. The edges of the Tolex can be stapled inside the cabinet, for added strength. As far as the truck bed liner, I can't see it affecting the sound any more than the adhesive used with the Tolex.....If anything I would say it has less affect, as the coating becomes a part of the cabinet. It's like the difference between lacquer or wrap on drums....the wrap damps the shell more than the lacquer, but some people prefer this.

Myke C. 8)

#80885 by ResidentToneMeister
Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:52 pm
Have had Rhino Liner professionally sprayed on several sets of our custom one-off speaker cabinets and we like it. While it may not be a solution for every cabinet, it worked for us as it was intended.

First, it will keep the cabinet from sliding around when transporting or on stage; Second, it really tightens up the cabinet and we feel enhances the sound, and finally, it is one of the most durable finishes you can use. The one drawback was price: it costs almost $4oo to spray two boxes with 2 x 15" and a 2" horn. Of course, you can do it yourself for a fraction of that, but I believe you will benefit either way. Hope this helps.

www.draughonbrothers.com

:idea:

#83038 by CollectiveAge
Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:26 am
Hell of an idea. I'm going to try it on an old Peavey cabinet I have.
#83230 by Power is Serious
Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:37 am
[quote="Whitesel"]Oh no...another bunch of questions .....

Got an old Ampeg 810 Cabinet I was wanting to fix up, The Toltex on my cabinet is pretty ripped, The replacement Toltex at 34.95 a yard seems a bit expensive, and it will probably get ripped up the first time I take it to a gig anyways. Anyone tried the spray on Truckbed liner on a speaker cabinet?

How does it hold up on wood and being knocked around at gigs?

...Just saw an ad for a speaker (PA) company that uses it for their cabs

#86143 by MICHAEL.J. EMENENCE.
Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:03 am
jUST WANNA SAY -THAT SOUNDS LIKE A CLEVER IDEA!!
IT SHOULD WORK ?...OF COURSE YOU COULD ALSO PUT LOTS OF METAL CORNERS AND MAYBE LINE THE OUTER EDGE OF THE CABINET WITH METAL TOO-OF COURSE COVERING THE ENTIRE EDGE OF THE CABINETS-WITH METAL SHAPE LIKE A "L" LAYED RIGHT OVER THE EDGE

#86144 by MICHAEL.J. EMENENCE.
Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:13 am
jUST WANNA SAY -THAT SOUNDS LIKE A CLEVER IDEA!!
IT SHOULD WORK ?...OF COURSE YOU COULD ALSO PUT LOTS OF METAL CORNERS AND MAYBE LINE THE OUTER EDGE OF THE CABINET WITH METAL TOO-OF COURSE COVERING THE ENTIRE EDGE OF THE CABINETS-WITH METAL SHAPE LIKE A "L" LAYED RIGHT OVER THE EDGE -BUT THIS A GREAT IDEA AND I WILL HAVE TO LET MY BOYS KNOW ABOUT THIS