This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#7554 by Pawpa-Dawg
Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:22 am
ok I got the approval to upgrade My kit...thing is after several hours and intense days researching am wondering ...what is the best kit made? company? Maple or Birch? I play a lot of different styles...Blues/ClassicRock/Modern Rock? I even like to get down with some metal every now and then.( sorry but country either puts Me to sleep or makes Me want to shoot Myself in the foot)
just so many dang varities and variations now I am confused as all get out. would help Me if someone who has been through what I am going through could give Me any advice. as for speaking to local music store ...they are trying to turn Me to what they have ...kits I have never even heard of with names I can not even pronounce... I am from old school ... Pearl,Tama,Rogers...
PLZ HELP!!!! LOOSING MY MIND !!!! as this is going to be a costly venture and a once in a life time deal ...want the first time to be the right choice. and I do not wish to get stuck with something store could not sell/move.
Thank You.

#7566 by Vocals & Bass
Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:42 am
Alot of the 'old school' drummers are going to Drum Works [DW] Ive had all 3 of the brands that you named also. Ludwig is at the top with them. In my personal opinion, All brands named are quality drums. I saw a set of DWs with deep toms & they were a version [model] whatever, where Only one tom was mounted on the bass kicker & the other toms were floor mounted. I am sure drummers on this forum can give you more expert info on the subject than I can. Hope that I have helped some. I understand your excitement. Nothing like buying a top quality instrument. Its like Xmas day to me. And I am excited for you. Investigate all options & dont rush into anything. I know, Its hard to stay calm. {I WANT IT NOW!!}

#7581 by The KIDD
Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:53 am
Hey Guy,

Yeah , I played the same kit 76-05...When I went shoppin for a new kit ,I went though the same thing..I hadnt really kept up with all the new brands and hardware and like RSMs', new BD , HH pedal designs etc...It would help to know what your budget is and how many pc kit ya want...I was originlly gonna go with ludwig becuause thats all I had known since my first kit in 68...BUT, I wanted a 6pc kit 10-12-14-16 most stores are only stockin 5 pc kits nowdays, OR the tom sizes were not in the configuration I wanted.
I tried reading some reviews on musicansfriend , music 123 etc, mainly looking to see how the hardware held up but it was allover the baord pro and con....I wanted a pro 6pc kit under $2000 so after shopping 5 stores ,I went with a Mapex Saturn kit...Its a combo of maple and walnut plys and the hardware is more heavy duty than other kits in its class....This kit kicks ASS.....NOW, if I had the $$$ ($3500)I woulda went with DW...Also, a higher end kit is gonna have closer tolerances for the bearing edge angle around the shell...This is very important to insure that an even head tension can be obtained and the drum will be tunable .
I use to play alot around Amarillo, Lubbock , Carlsbad (85-87)but cant remember any of the stores :lol: ...I work at a drum shop and we sell alot of Pearl and DW...Check out this link:
http://www.georgesdrumshop.com/t-faq1.aspx

This cat inpressed me with his honesty and really helped me in my search.He'll describe what ya get with each price range of kit, maple vrs birch ,etc.
Be sure and go to 2-3 stores at least if ya can...

Take your time and take notes as you shop.

John

#7671 by Pawpa-Dawg
Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:13 am
thanks Guys for all the valuable imformation...Kidd I have been researching this thing for 4 years now and amtime of purchasing....have narrowed it down to 2 ...both are Pearl Master Custom,,,just not sure about Maple or Birch ...have played both and like the sound of the Maple however am blown away by the response of the birch ...is there a way that the 2 could be married into one kit? Maple sound w/response of the birch? color I am wanting is Midhight Fade ... #154 ... thinking of ogin w/black hardware ( cut down light glare on stage from lights or sun)...have gone to 5 stores, 1 wants Me to buy DW, 2 Mapex, 3 pushing Sonor, 4 Allegra, 5 Pearl. have narrowed it to the Pearl but still am not sure ... Maple,Birch,4ply,6ply,sound reinforcement rings or not...is why I started this sting as like You Kidd ...been away so long is like trying to buy a cell phone these days...thank You again and further help would be greatly appreciated ...as for cost ...go as high as $15,000.00 (brass and all)

#7731 by The KIDD
Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:44 am
Hey SC,

Man 15K...Now I know why your goin crazy :lol: Your not bound by price..Looks like you could really customize a kit for that kinda $$$...Yeah , Im a 70's guy so I like the warmth of maple and that walnut even adds extra ..Punchy but still warm ..Yeah , high end Birch really explodes...I talked to a guy today at the shop that owns several kits and his first pick is DW...You might wanna check into some of these exotic woods their using to build custom kits and all wood rims...And of course, dont get a stock snare...Get I absolutley LUV a 13x6.5 at the store..I cant remember who endorses it(Ill find out) but a gives ya the best of both worlds ..A tight focused attack and CRUNCH. ..We just got a new midnite blue 5pc set of DW in today $ 3400.00 down from 4300.00 I think..
Anyway, yeah , spendin that kinda $$$, definetly check into all your possiblities...We dont have a website ,yet but Ill taked to Alan and see if he can recommend someone to talk to about those custom kits.

John
#7875 by Pocket drummer
Tue May 01, 2007 3:19 am
8) I hav a set of pearls go for it but buy 2or 3 snairs various depths and sizes if you want pop snap dush or thwap.. try also tunning and dampenning skin types on the set you are considering if you like what you here then go ahead pearl owner... :wink:

#8754 by Pawpa-Dawg
Sun May 20, 2007 5:37 pm
I did like You said....tried them all. even had them miced and the logos covered so no one that was partial could be....guess what... the ALLEGRA kit won...30 out of 33 pl liked the way the Allegras sounded both miced and open, I liked the feel as well as the stick response I got...2ndplace was ludwig...DW finished like 5th...as Pearl was 3rd backed by Tama...was busy day but like You said...played them all took ALL DAY ...was FUN...I recomend to ANY drummer to do what I did...if You seek to replace Your older kit ....go to local music store , make sure they have drums,,,,lots of time,,,patience... and are willing to do for You what was done for Me. I told them what I wanted,explained what I would like... they were a little relutant at first until they saw $$ and saw how serious I am...
in closing...do not settle for what the other guys play...find what You like...what You are comfortable with...play'em all...sit back reflect...than narrow it down and do it one more time if You are not sure ...as this was probably the 2nd biggest dicesion I made..1sy one was proposing to My Wife than the "I-DO"...lol
well thanks for all the imformation and input asit all really helped Me out...oh yeah and kit is really gonna look cool as I am having special graphics paitned on them...and did like Pocket Drummer suggested...DUAL SNARES !!!! as well as dual hi-hats...man can't wait ...again THANKS TO EVERYONE ...especialy You KIDD.