This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#75773 by philbymon
Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:24 am
Ya know, I've been thinking about this a bit more, & I've come to the conclusion that the best way to develop your stage presense is to get on stage as much as possible, & just do it, to quote the sneakers commercials. I've had good nights & bad (mostly good, or I'd have quit a long time ago!), but the reason I've had to do it since the beginning was the need to express myself. No matter whose song I'm singing, I'm expressing it in my own way, for better or worse. It's a certain need to be heard, I guess, that front ppl & writers & artists of every medium all share. Figure out what you want to say, for each song you do, & say it. Say it with your entire being, from your nose to your toes. That total involvement in the music will be your stage presense, & the more involved you are, the better you'll come across.

Those bands that you see & think are sucky - how involved are they with the music? Are they more involved with their own image? Are they too easily embarassed to put it all out there? Whatever their problems are, they are detracting from the audience's perception of their message, if they aren't getting it across to them.

The music doesn't speak for itself - it needs a person or ppl with feelings, to get the musical message out there.

Check out several different recordings of any given piece of music - classical is great for this. There are some conductors who you will prefer, even though they are all guiding their orchestras to play the very same notes. What makes you prefer one over the others? The way the conductor conveys his emotional attachment to the music!

In rock forms, there are no conductors or directors, so the band itself, & especially the front man/woman, are the ones who must express the underlying feelings in any given song. When they fail, it's dull & drab, & it doesn't matter how great the musicians are, they still failed. When they succeed, the audience has a more complete musical experience.

So make your own personality shine through in everything you do. Make every song your own, as if the words & underlying meanings sprouted from your own mind, your own experiences. That will make you one of the best, as long as your chops are up to the proper standards.

#75780 by CotyAE
Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:50 am
Wow, thanks for all of the great replies guys. So basically it boils down to trial and error for me to find what works for the band, the type of music we're playing, and me. Thanks again. :)

#75783 by fisherman bob
Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:43 am
Did I miss something? Weren't you trying out for your first band? Did you make the band? If so, congratulations. I don't know if there's any textbook definition for stage presence. No matter what genre you're playing look like you're having fun even if you're not. If you or one of the band members makes a mistake look like you didn't make any mistakes. Smile and maintain eye contact as much as possible with the audience. I'll often look directly between people. I'm pretty shy and eye contact is sometimes hard for me. I also wear sunglasses quite a bit while performing, but I definitely smile a lot. If somebody rips off a great solo I acknowledge them right in the middle of the song "how about a hand for so and so". I assume you're going to be the lead vocalist so after a few tunes introduce the other band members. Make sure your band members get some attention. I've played with some very high powered musicians who NEVER acknowledged the other band members: BIG MISTAKE. Make everybody feel inclusive, I even tell a few jokes between songs. In general if you're too serious or look worried or lack any communication with all those around you it'll turn everybody off. And most of all at the end of your show THANK THE VENUE OWNER AND AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SHOW REMIND EVERYBODY IN THE AUDIENCE TO TIP THE WAITERS, WAITRESSES, and BARTENDERS. They are providing a service to everybody there so recognize their contributions always...

#75784 by CotyAE
Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:10 am
Thanks fish, haha, but no I'm not joining the band I tried out for, they're a bit young (oldest is 19). Also their music isn't really what I would like to perform (they weren't really clear on what they wanted exactly from a vocalist, all they told me was Alternative Rock sounding so I decided to try them out, lol. Turns out they wanted something along the lines of Taking Back Sunday, basically higher tenors which isn't exactly my range.). I'm probably going to end up just making my own band (already have a bassist, drummer, and rhythm guitarist who want to play the same kind of things I want to play). But yeah, I'm not one for having a huge ego, haha, I'll be sure to introduce my bandmates and thank the venue and stuff. I kind of don't want to do the whole alcohol thing though, lol, cause it would hurt my vocal performance (looking for clean vocals, not rough).

#75796 by fisherman bob
Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:16 pm
Yeah I don't drink. If I have a six pack of beer a YEAR that's a lot for me. Occcasionally I'll drink a rum and coke during the third or fourth set at a gig if my voice gets a little dry. If you're gigging at a bar definitely acknowledge the people working there. They make their living there and the tips they get pay their bills. If my band has a real good night I ask the band members to volunteer some money and give the waitresses and bartenders a little extra. It doesn't hurt your chances of going back for a repeat performance. Stage presence includes ALL those people around you, the audience, band members, other people working, venue owners. Include everybody and you'll do better in this business.

#75822 by Dajax
Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:01 pm
In my experience, you either have it, or you don't. Sure you might be able to work on being less awkward, but in all the bands I've played in it was always the most insufferable, arrogant, egomaniacs that were always fabulous on stage. It's that sort of confidence on steroids attitude that just seems to translate to being a great performer. Playing in front of people was always like death to me, I never got comfortable with it, and take a pass whenever I'm asked nowadays.

#75823 by Chippy
Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:09 pm
I think you have to know how to act. Some people do it daily which is perhaps what you were saying. For others that is not so natural so more practice is required.

I think a VERY LARGE MIRROR would go a long way to solving this one.

Dajax wrote:In my experience, you either have it, or you don't. Sure you might be able to work on being less awkward, but in all the bands I've played in it was always the most insufferable, arrogant, egomaniacs that were always fabulous on stage. It's that sort of confidence on steroids attitude that just seems to translate to being a great performer. Playing in front of people was always like death to me, I never got comfortable with it, and take a pass whenever I'm asked nowadays.

#76215 by MadmX
Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:47 pm
When you "feel" the music, you will do "things" on stage... 1st and formost never... NEVER sacrifice the music for the show... EVER... If you look at those who are truly awsome live, they give it 100%.. all the time...

When your on stage... you must be fearless and let go of "I feel stupid" or anything else.... you need to be the music... if you can find the place as a front man where you are in the pocket... the crowd will follow right behind you.

Then... practice.... then practice some more... everything has to come natural or practiced until its second nature....

X!

#76308 by bundydude
Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:19 am
For me, I imitated the moves, so to speak, of bands/performers that I admired, such as; Paul Stanley (KISS), Ted Nugent, etc...from my early years, and Ronnie James Dio (Rainbow, Black Sabbath), Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden), Warrel Dane (Sanctuary, Nevermore), King Diamond (Mercyful Fate, King Diamond), among several others. I watched and studied things that they did, picked the things I liked and combined them together to create my own stage persona.

I will say this, the first few times that I performed, I was very nervous, to the point that my hands shook and my mouth stayed bone dry, regardless of the amount of water I drank. As time and shows went on, I became more comfortable, but, never completely at ease, eventually, I accepted the anxiety and used it as a means to psyche myself up.

One last thing, as a lead vocalist/front man, I become a character on stage, different then my normal self. Hope this helps...