This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#75345 by jw123
Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:20 pm
This may seem weird, but the MJ death started a chain of events thats really got me looking at myself the last few weeks.

Im close to 47 yrs old and of course grew up with MJ on the radio. Been in and out of music for a while, and got back really rolling a couple of years ago. One thing thats happened is I realize that I cant quite do the things I used too. Im not trying to start another MJ thread, but I gues I had fooled myself into thinking that I could still be some sort of rock star. Last year my drummer and I went water ski ing with another friend. We talked about going again before the summer was out and getting in touch with our friend BOb who had the ski boat. 2 weeks ago another friend found Bob dead on his couch from a heart attack. He was 43. This past weekend my first girlfriend from the 6th grade died from cancer. I hadnt talked to her in years, but all this around has made me realize that the best years of my life are probably behind me. Back to the MJ deal, my son and I saw the rehearsals on TV and I made the comment that he looks like hes lost a step or two since Thriller. My son has seen old videos of me and he made the comment, Dad, youve done the same thing. He went to an outdoor gig a few weeks ago where it was so hot that I basically had to just survive the gig and not put in what I consider a memorable performance.

I guess what Im trying to get started in discussion here is how as an older musician do we cope with time and the effects it has on our playing. My singer has told me that he only thinks he has a couple more years of doing what we do like we do. How do we cope with this? Do we just give it up or do we evolve to another style of music that is maybe not as demanding?

Just curious what other folks thoughts are on this. I dont guess there is a right or wrong answer.

#75347 by jimmydanger
Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:27 pm
Mortality is a good motivator. Any one of us could get arthritis, a back condition, heart condition, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, the list goes on. The point is to enjoy what you do while you still can. I never thought I would last thirty years playing music, and I appreciate the gigs that much more.

#75350 by jw123
Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:32 pm
I appreciate the fact that I am able to play on a regular basis, Im glad that Im back with my old group, Im glad that there are folks that still pay to see us.

But I am seeing things from a little different perspective today than maybe a few months ago.

#75357 by ratsass
Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:46 pm
JW, from your pics you look like you're in great shape. What kind of shape was Bob in? I know I'm out of shape and I just made my mind up about 3 weeks ago to get back in shape. I've lost close to 20 pounds in 3 weeks doing the low carb thing. But I know I'll never get back even close to what I was 20 years ago. No biggie. Nobody around here that is my age rocks like I do playing wise. When I play, I rock hard, but don't move around like I would like to, because of my weight and what it's done to my legs. At the end of a show, I can barely walk and my feet feel like they have stone bruises all over. I think when I get my weight down that will go away, but, like you said, we'll never be Rockstar material. Then again, I see some of the older rockers that are still out there putting on a hell of a physical show, and it gives me hope. As long as you enjoy what you're doing, keep doing it. When you get older your body tries to slow you down and if you're not careful it will succeed. Then it will do it again and again.

Just curious, all you "older guys".
Have you ever been undressing for bed or a shower or something and when you take your shorts off, you let them drop to the floor, step one foot out and take your other foot and flip them into the air and catch them and say to yourself, "Yeah, you still got it"? Well, think about it. If you've still got it, you'd be bending all the way over and taking them off, wouldn't you? :shock: :D :D

#75362 by jw123
Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:55 pm
Its not really how good of shape Im in. For my age Ive faired way better than some of my friends, and the guy that died did live hard.

What Im getting at I guess is that up until all these events I kinda felt like the world was my oyster so to speak, and these things kinda made me feel like I may need to start getting somethings in my life in order.

I used to get on my knees and lay all the way back to the floor like Ace Frehley used to and I could very quickly get back on my feet. These days that would probably turn into the scene from SPinal Tap. A couple of knee surgerys and racing dirt bikes for 10 years will do that to you. One of my early early bands I would actually roll on the floor doing little flips while playing a solo, this was pre wireless for me. I cant even comprehend doing that now. I used to play the guitar literally behind my back, but my wrist does have some pains in it that seem to really get my attention when I do that. It didnt help that I saw Hendrix on TV last night doing this trick.

Dang Im whining, I need to shut up and just play guitar

#75364 by jw123
Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:57 pm
[.

Just curious, all you "older guys".
Have you ever been undressing for bed or a shower or something and when you take your shorts off, you let them drop to the floor, step one foot out and take your other foot and flip them into the air and catch them and say to yourself, "Yeah, you still got it"? Well, think about it. If you've still got it, you'd be bending all the way over and taking them off, wouldn't you? :shock: :D :D[/quote]

If I still had it she would be taking my shorts off for me!

#75365 by gbheil
Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:57 pm
LOL....... Rat you a funny man!

I cannot speak really from the perspective of musician.
But from the outlook of a Martialist, we just do what we can do.
Yea maybe I can no longer do splits.
And for sure I got no business doing 15 minutes of NHB with some 200lb 20 year old stud.
But as my Sifu said last night over a cold one. (and I paraphrase)
We can be older, wiser and more treacherous. :wink:
And to be honest, I prefer to lose my friends and aquaintences from heartattacks, than overdoses.

#75403 by philbymon
Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:05 pm
Heh - just 8 yrs ago I played for 9 hours straight at Dddonnie's party...now I can barely do 5...

DIBBITZ!

Eh...I'll take that 5, & make it as memorable as I can.

A big part of my problems are no doubt due to those marathons I used to do, but I wouldn't trade 'em, even if they didn't make me famous. I gave up being a rock star 10-11 yrs ago, & found that it freed me up in a lot of ways, 1st & foremost being the LACK OF PRESSURE TO SUCCEED! That alone made me a better player, I think.

I can accept being old. I still won't act like it, though...

#75410 by ratsass
Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:19 pm
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional. :)

#75422 by J-HALEY
Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:06 pm
I think playing in bands will keep us a little younger and a little more in shape. I turned 50 last Nov. and I must say it has hit me like a ton of bricks. All kinds of stuff going on. I have noticed my voice is not quite what it used to be, my guitar playing is better than it has ever been. Moving all the gear and doing everything it takes to play at the highest level possible that part is getting real old. I have lost several friends to various illnesses. Getting old is part of the natural order of life there is really nothing you can do about it. We are all really just along for the ride. Lately I have been feeling some changes going on with my body and I called my doctor to schedule an appointment and they said we can't see you untill August 6th I think I have developed Adult onset diabetes I am losing weight and still eating the same I have an unquenchable thirst I have never drank this much water in my life on a daily basis. I can't get a full nights sleep because I am up every hour, well we will not go into that. Damn my night stand looks like my great grandparents did, barely room for a glass of water because of all the medicine bottles LOL. You know that is how you can tell when you are getting old. Can you imagine what the whippersnappers are going to think of this thread LOL.

Hey WHIPPERSNAPPERS read um and weep this will be you in 20 years BWA! HA! HA! HA! HA! :shock:

#75424 by ETRPT
Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:10 pm
Hi J

as per other thread i really dig your music; i think lucky stars is awesome.

i see you're a fan of eric johnson. he's ok, prefer ty tabor myself.

c

#75428 by fisherman bob
Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:19 pm
You're just coming into the prime of your musical ability. You may not be able to move around, dance as well as you used to, but I bet your guitar playing is better than ever. I bet you can sing better than you ever did before. I bet you've got hundreds of ideas for originals that can finally come to fruition. The next twenty years should be your golden era in music. The energy may not be the same, but the knowledge is far greater. You've gone through so much trial and error by now you've got the method down cold. You know how to please a crowd. This is the beginning of your best days in music...

#75431 by CraigMaxim
Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:51 pm
Age doesn't have to be a negative.

Think about:

B.B. King
Tina Turner
Paul McCartney
Sting

And the list could grow enormous.

Think of all these group over the last five years who have been doing comeback tours and making a fortune.

Young bands are athletic, and this makes for a good show, no doubt. But older musicians and songwriters have a lifetime of experiences that come through the music.

I started my former band off with a few battle of the bands, to get their feet wet for paying gigs, and when my former guitarist saw all the screamo bands that were there, he said nervously: "Craig, I think we're in the wrong place... I don't know about this."

I told him that these young guys were about to get a lesson on music, and not to worry. I don't care what age you are, you can feel the heart of music that has soul, and appreciate it.

Not only did we win the battle that night, but these band's fans screamed louder for us than they did for the bands they had come to see!

We found out later, that one of the singers, a talented young kid, even left his band and started a more hard-rock/classic-rock oriented band, saying he had been changed.

No lie.

That's what I love about good music!

It is timeless.

I have struggled with the age issue, but those I have expressed it to, end up saying the same thing:

"Craig, you wouldn't write the kind of music you do, if you weren't older and hadn't been through so many experiences in life!"

Those here, who grew up with the music of the sixties, and the seventies (my time) witnessed two decades of music that are unprecedented to this day.

There was a freedom of creativity, that gave us music that meant something.

Young people today don't know what to believe in. There are few who try and make an impact on this world any longer. They have entertainment options out the ass, and silence is unknown today. It's headphones in the house, radio in the car, and video games all day long. Where is the ability to ponder the deep issues, to question the purpose of existence and their place in the world?

Alot of that good music, was a direct result of the civil rights struggle, Vietnam, etc...

War today looks like a video game. Where is the passion for life? For believing the world can change?

They need us old farts! And they need us badly!

#75435 by J-HALEY
Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:55 am
Thanks ETRPT, Those last 4 are all me no one else envolved. Those songs were my first attempts at recording my song ideas on a Boss BR1180. I have a ton of ideas. The band I am currently playing in is breaking up after five years. I am soon going to start recording more. Thanks I am glad you enjoyed it.

#75464 by Sir Jamsalot
Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:58 am
Played semi-pro volleyball until 38. Job change, life change, joints no longer giving me that extra umf. I quit volleyball to pursue a hobby I can do until I'm dead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ny5ajCn0xw

Chris