This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#74716 by jimmydanger
Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:00 pm
fisherman bob wrote:I've been to well over a hundred live shows of famous artists and I would say almost all of them don't perform THEIR OWN famous songs note-for-note.

It really depends on the artist. There's such a wide range that I don't believe there's a rule. I have noticed that the more technically demanding the music is, the more the artist tends to play it like the recording.

#74724 by ZXYZ
Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:29 pm
A famous musician once said "If you are going to play someone else's music, you need to be able to play it better than the original, or don't play it at all".
I always liked that creedo and have carried that with me thru the years.
Last edited by ZXYZ on Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

#74726 by gbheil
Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:40 pm
:lol:
Man, where do they find these people?

#74744 by fisherman bob
Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:15 am
jimmydanger wrote:
fisherman bob wrote:I've been to well over a hundred live shows of famous artists and I would say almost all of them don't perform THEIR OWN famous songs note-for-note.

It really depends on the artist. There's such a wide range that I don't believe there's a rule. I have noticed that the more technically demanding the music is, the more the artist tends to play it like the recording.
It also might depend on the genre. I'm mainly a blues guy, so the vast majority of artists I've seen are blues or related genres. I can see where artists from a more technically difficult genre would need to stick with the program a little closer (or exactly).

#74757 by Where2fromHere
Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:24 am
Ohhh my gawd!!! This dude is like "that ONE band-mate" you pray you never find, lol. But if you play enough gigs, rehearsals, etc...you'll find him/her eventually!!
Would this guy like a drink and maybe a blanket, too?? Geeez, this is NO way to approach any sort of band, it's just disrespectful in general! Sorry you had to go through that Fisherman Bob, hope he leaves you alone. Keep rockin with your originality!

#74759 by neanderpaul
Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:33 am
Welcome Where2fromHere, post some music when you can.

#74838 by Paleopete
Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:20 pm
Sounds like a really cool guy...NOT...

I think I would just start saying OK read my lips...GO AWAY...

As far as playing note for note, I've seen Eric Johnson duplicate his incredible compositions, and Van Wilks form Austin usually does awful close. I rarely try for actual note for note, just as close as I can get, I want it to sounds as good as possible, but sometimes I don't try to actually duplicate the original. Often I get the basics of the song as close as I can and improvise the leads, other times I try to copy the leads. I just started a project here with a guy who plays drums and bass on keyboards, quite well too, and we're working on Sultans of Swing, by Dire Straits. I have to get that one almost note for note, or it just doesn't sound right. Other tunes I improvise. I think on I Got Line on You I'll try to copy the guitar work, it just sounds like it has to be just like that.

I play it by ear, whatever the song sounds like. Wonderful Tonight...duplicate it. Riding the Storm Out...jam session...it just depends on the song but I don't think I ever get it exactly note for note.

#74841 by fisherman bob
Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:47 pm
Where2fromHere wrote:Ohhh my gawd!!! This dude is like "that ONE band-mate" you pray you never find, lol. But if you play enough gigs, rehearsals, etc...you'll find him/her eventually!!
Would this guy like a drink and maybe a blanket, too?? Geeez, this is NO way to approach any sort of band, it's just disrespectful in general! Sorry you had to go through that Fisherman Bob, hope he leaves you alone. Keep rockin with your originality!
Nothing to be sorry for really. I've actually talked with this person many times in the past. I never met him or heard him perform. I don't know him at all. He was in a duo many years ago and played for a while in town. He's provided me some comic relief actually. His latest correspondances have been over the top. This guy is the most extreme control freak I've ever heard of. If he's any good it's actually pretty sad. I can't imagine anybody wanting to play with the guy. I asked him if he's been in any bands the last fifteen years and he didn't reply to that question. He's in his late fifties and most likely isn't going to change so I suspect his band days are long over with.

#75076 by Gi
Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:59 am
you have to keep up posted on this, after he meets your band and tries to convert you to his ways.

#75089 by TheCaptain
Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:03 am
man..no wonder I don't try & make my living w/music...

:shock: