This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#74164 by Marc Z
Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:27 am
Minneapolis’ Only Rush Tribute, Exit Stage Right

Exit Stage Right: Tribute to Rush performs the music of Canadian thunder-trio Rush with confidence in a demanding situation for any musician.

Presenting high-quality music which is precise, intricate and can either be played accurately or not at all, the 4-piece Minneapolis-based group performs with grace under pressure for hungry fans of Rush, and for anyone desiring an evening of more than just Mustang Sally or Brick House.

Friday, July 24, 2009
The Lowry Theater
16 West 5th Street
St. Paul, MN, 55102

Admission is $8. Full bar and free on-street parking available.

http://www.myspace.com/tribute2rush<br>
http://www.facebook.com/tributetorush

#74274 by Kramerguy
Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:53 pm
It's always a good idea to never throw another genre of music under the bus while promoting your own, unless of course you are playing some FTW screamo :idea:

#74277 by Chippy
Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:06 pm
Check out this guys profile. Not by any means a springer Kramer. I dunno? Perhaps wrong typing but at least there was a point when so many adds are vague and misleading.

Good player frankly.

#74284 by Kramerguy
Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:45 pm
Chippy wrote:Check out this guys profile. Not by any means a springer Kramer. I dunno? Perhaps wrong typing but at least there was a point when so many adds are vague and misleading.

Good player frankly.

No doubt, just thought I'd point out a mistake I've made myself even recently. He's a big boy, he can take it 8)

#74294 by ColorsFade
Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:30 pm
Kramerguy wrote:
Chippy wrote:Check out this guys profile. Not by any means a springer Kramer. I dunno? Perhaps wrong typing but at least there was a point when so many adds are vague and misleading.

Good player frankly.

No doubt, just thought I'd point out a mistake I've made myself even recently. He's a big boy, he can take it 8)

I dunno if it was a mistake... They seem to know their target audience, I'd say.

#74339 by Marc Z
Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:22 am
ColorsFade wrote:I dunno if it was a mistake... They seem to know their target audience, I'd say.

What mistake are you guys refering to, hey?

Thanks,
mz

#74344 by gbheil
Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:03 pm
Me thinks he may not want you to discourage any fans of "Mustang Sally"
from attending your show.
Not really a "mistake" but it could offend some people and that is not a good advertisement practice.
The whole
"What the hell's wrong with Mustang Sally?" " Aw screw those guys"
Kinda thing. Yes I know thats shallow, and you probably dont give a crap, but it can hurt you more than you realise.
The boys are just trying to point out that your add could be a little more efficent for a large group of people.
And larger crowds is the point eh!

#74388 by Kramerguy
Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:38 pm
What I was saying, was with both mustang sally and brick house, 9 out of 10 girls will get up and dance to. They friggin love it. don't expect them to show up to a Rush show after you dis mustang sally and brick house in the ad.

Was all I was saying. Shouldn't have needed to spell it out, then explain it in detail, to someone who's been dealing with fans for 20+ years.

"more than just" infers a inferiority to what you are proposing, so should I like "brick house" (and I do!) I would feel offended by the statement.

It would also cause me to develop a feeling towards the rush tribute band as "pompus"

#74391 by ratsass
Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:47 pm
They say you should never say anything negative on stage, and this goes for advertising your shows too. I've seen bands that dis each other on stage just in fun, and I've seen bands that say nothing but positive things about each other. Guess which one seems more professional?
Watch any pro concert and see if you see anyone saying anything negative at all. You won't. Well, not very often. Steve Vai, in his "Live at the Astoria" DVD does kinda dis Brittney Spears, but then again, who doesn't. :)
All we're saying is that any negative words can come back and bite your a$$, but positive ones never will.
Good luck with the Rush tribute thing. When I get my home stereo receiver fixed, I'll give your stuff a listen.

#74513 by ColorsFade
Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:53 pm
Kramerguy wrote:"more than just" infers a inferiority to what you are proposing, so should I like "brick house" (and I do!) I would feel offended by the statement.

Are you familiar with Rush at all Kramer?

Because, to be fair, I don't think a Rush tribute band really cares about you being offended. You don't appear to be their target audience.

It's not much of a secret that most progressive rock fans enjoy that genre of music precisely because they believe it's superior to other forms of music. That's part of the appeal of progressive rock. You get to hear the best musicians play the best music.

Kramerguy wrote:It would also cause me to develop a feeling towards the rush tribute band as "pompus"

Progressive rock has long been labeled "pompous", "arrogant" and "pretentious" by non-progressive rock fans. So that's not really anything new.

Personally - as a progressive rock fan - I thought that was a great ad. I appealed to me and my friends who are prog fans. I like prog because it *is* more than Mustang Sally...

#74514 by gbheil
Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:02 am
I understand what you saying Colors.
But it makes no sense at all to advertise, and limit your target audience.
Be like me saying
"If you dont believe in God I dont want you to listen to my music"
Kinda defeats the purpose dont it?
Sure there are Hardcore Prog Fans, and there are Hardcore Classic Fans, but there are a lot more people "on the fence" so to speak.
These are the ones you need to intice into your show. :wink:
I would not think alienating anyone would constitute good advertisement principles.

#74518 by ColorsFade
Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:50 am
sanshouheil wrote: "If you dont believe in God I dont want you to listen to my music"
Kinda defeats the purpose dont it?

But that's not what they were saying at all... I think that's a totally inaccurate comparison.

Let's use a food analogy: "Fine dining restaurant open for one night only. If you're looking for something more than a burger and fries, head on over to... "

If you're a burgers and fries guy, are you going to be offended by that? I guess you could be, but if so, then I don't think they really need your business.

Because the way I read that ad, it's says "if you want something more than" - so I am going to assume my taste buds are in for a real treat; that I am indeed going to get something special - something more than burgers and fries.

I love burgers and fries - but I also have taste buds that like to be treated to the best flavors from the best chefs. My taste buds can appreciate that sort of cooking. That ad doesn't offend me - it tells me exactly what I'm in store for - something above and beyond.

"Mustang Sally" - it IS burgers and fries compared to Rush. That's not so much a knock on "Mustang Sally" as it is an endorsement of the superior musical qualities of Rush's music.

You can read it either way I guess. But I still don't think they're offending anyone. And if they are offending anyone - I don't think you need that kind of "fan", because they clearly don't understand the differences in the quality of the music.

#74561 by gbheil
Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:43 pm
Again, I understand what your getting at my friend.
But the food anaolgy dont get it for me either.
I have heard people (rockers) saying "disco sucks" and wanting to fight about it. (too much beer I suppose)
I never seen anyone get excited about the difference in burgers and seafood. (except my wife when we go out for her birthday LOL)
I just dont consider it good advertising principle to alienate some poor dumb rednecks like me. :D
And its the "dont really need their business part" is what I am getting at.
Sure they might not really need or want their business.
But why not make $100 instead of $75 ?
After all you may convince one of them that TREES is better than SALLY. :D
And in todays live music world, developing a following is where it's at.

#74820 by jangox
Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:54 pm
Well, i have always been a Rush fan...and playing rock music, i am sick to death of standards, like Mustang Sally. I can't imagine why i would want to play them when every mediocre bar band plays them, yawn, heard 'em too many times.

I liked the ad. I'd rather go see a Rush tribute band (if they're good) than another set of cocaine, mustang sally, sweet home alabama, etc. Of course they're good songs, but that's why they are OVERPLAYED.

Conceded, this is a musician's viewpoint, not an audience viewpoint.

The one thing i would take out of the ad is that you're a four-piece, considering that Rush is a trio. Not knocking it, i use four or five pieces covering Rush myself. But then again, perhaps it's best to be up-front...if i came to see your show i might be a bit disappointed to see four guys instead of three.

I'm glad you're doing a Rush tribute though, MZ. We need more people abandoning the standards to play more interesting music.

#74830 by ColorsFade
Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:53 pm
sanshouheil wrote:
But why not make $100 instead of $75 ?

See, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Who f*cking cares about money? Especially if you're a Rush tribute band! I mean, do you seriously think those guys started a Rush tribute band to make money?

What do you think is more important to those guys: (a) Making an additional $25 or (b) playing to an audience of people who appreciate Rush's music?

If you're playing music to make money, you're playing it for the wrong reason. But if you really were starting a band to make money, the last thing you would do is form a Rush tribute band. There's no great cash cow in that. The cash is in the tired standards. Those guys formed a Rush tribute band because - dare I speculate - they love Rush's music.

It's not about money when it comes to music like that - and this is especially true when it comes to progressive rock.

Bands like Rush and Dream Theater - they don't write progressive music to make money. If they were in it for the money they'd do what is necessary to make money: they'd write short, radio-friendly songs in 4/4 time. But they don't do that. They write complex, involved music for people who can appreciate art. And fortunately there are enough of us around to support at least a few of the best prog bands (it would be nice if bands like Enchant go more support, but the system is run by radio and MTV).

Anyway... it's not worth arguing about. I just know that of the people in life I really admire - musicians, writers, and people in film - the common thread is that they do what they do because they love it and they would do it even if they weren't getting paid. They do what they do for the love of it, and if people like it and become fans, then they appreciate that, but that's not what drives their creativity. And I think that's the best way to operate.