This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Rate your favorite bands and albums.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

Do you like to hear older songs updated by other bands?

35%
55%
8%
N/A
3%

#66095 by HowlinJ
Mon May 04, 2009 1:26 am
In the early-mid 60's, I was a huge Yardbirds fan. When I picked up a copy of Jeff Beck's "Truth" album in 69, I was disappointed at the frigged up version of "Shapes of Things" , overly stylistically sung by a relatively unknown singer by the name of Rod Stewart.

Ironically, while working on building my new house last night, I heard the Beck-Stewart version on my favorite radio show, "Little Steven's Underground Garage" Evidently, My tastes must have changed over the last 40 years, because I now think that version ROCKS! (However, I still like the lead guitar work on the original Yardbirds version the best)

HJ

#66127 by ratsass
Mon May 04, 2009 10:31 am
Nazareth did a cool version of "Shapes" too.

#66506 by h65stephanie
Wed May 06, 2009 6:45 pm
i am sure someone has had to have said this already but hendrix's cover of dylan's all along the watchtower is probably one of the greatest covers in all rock genres. also the band's cover of marvin gayes baby dont do it is just killer

#66713 by pusMonkey
Fri May 08, 2009 9:39 am
Good covers:
"Do You Really Want to Hurt Me" - Violent Femmes
"Fortunate Son" - Circle Jerks

#66954 by Andragon
Sun May 10, 2009 5:24 pm
ratsass wrote:Nazareth did a cool version of "Shapes" too.

If you like your classic rock with a little bit of southern metal, check out Black Stone Cherry's cover of Shapes of Things.

And whoever mentioned Tool's No Quarter cover: DEFINITELY. I don't think it strayed too far, as the track was already quite.. experimental, but I liked it.

#66973 by ratsass
Sun May 10, 2009 9:05 pm
Andragon wrote:Johnny Cash should stop ruining great songs like Hurt and Rusty Cage. Poor Soundgarden.

He will, he's dead. :twisted:

#66991 by philbymon
Mon May 11, 2009 2:07 am
Say what you may, but Cash's version had a lot of his heart in it. You could feel his pain. He had a certain emotional depth that many ppl miss.

#67021 by PocketGroovesGSO
Mon May 11, 2009 4:48 pm
duff beer wrote:Good covers:

Hurt - Johnny Cash
Under My Thumb - Streetheart

Bad Covers:

all their covers, but especially Knocking on Heaven's Door - GnR
Turn the Page - Metallica
You Shook Me All night Long - Celine Dion (yes, she really did cover that one)

The bass players are of like mind. :) JC's cover of Hurt was incredible!! I wasn't a big fan of the Turn The Page cover, or Knocking on Heaven's Door.

#67169 by PocketGroovesGSO
Wed May 13, 2009 5:10 am
I just heard the Deftones cover of "Drive" by The Cars today, and it was pretty good.

#72718 by TV Eye
Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:02 am
Wonder Stuff's cover of "That's Entertainment" by The Jam is one of my favorites.

#73604 by Aftertodayguitarist
Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 pm
theres been some good covers like shinedown-simpleman, seether-careless whisper, metallica-last carress and so what

bad ones
metallica- tuesdays gone
gene simmons-when you wish upon a star(from his solo album in 1978)

#74244 by kilcoyne66
Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:24 pm
I never minded Marilyn Manson's covers, my favorite is probably Personal Jesus. Seether's version of Careless Whisper was amazing. The way they turned the saxophone part into a sweet guitar lick was amazing. I also kind of like Hank Williams III's version of Cocaine Blues. One of the worst covers I've heard was proabably Atreyu's take on Bon Jovi's You Give Love A Bad Name. Nice attempt, but wow that was bad.

#146776 by Jake Midkiff
Wed May 18, 2011 2:58 am
Van Halen did some of the BEST covers !

You Really Got Me - The Kinks
Ice Cream Man - John Brim
Where Have All The Good Times Gone - The Kinks
You're No Good - Linda Ronstadt

And there's bootlegs of their club days covering

Superstition
Beer Drinkers And Hell Raisers
Last Child
Make It Last

About the only cover they did that I didn't care for was Marths Reeves' Dancing In The Streets