This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#7201 by Vocals & Bass
Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:15 am
MrMikeV wrote:I know your tastes are too refined for the likes of panterra, metallica, and quiet riot. lol. would have to agree tho, that the black album blows as well as anything else that came after it.
I like mj, but I also like jerry lee lewis, and oj simpson... all were guilty as sin and only there money and fame saved them from what the rest of us would've got... a nice fat prison sentence next to a lifer who want's to play "momma and poppa".
that has little to do with wether they've made good music tho.
moronic: that a hair strong... but I'll let it slide.
I agree with you there Brother! One of use wouldve done some serious prison time. I cant remember hearing about Jerry Lee?, But I wouldnt be very surprised. Thats interesting......Later. Oh Yeah, His 13yr. old Cuz, Duhh...

#7210 by Leighton
Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:58 pm
Youre entitled to your opinion my friend. I happen to think youre wrong, (I really rate Pantera), but if you dont like them thats cool. music is entertainment and as such you can take it or leave it. go find music that you do like and put a positive message on here instead.

Best Wishes

#7212 by djmistat
Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:10 pm
says a lot when to get people to comment on a band you dont like, you ask who loves them, though... doesnt it..... :|

#7215 by RhythmMan
Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:23 pm
Bingo.

#7224 by SDavis22
Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:08 pm
Leighton,
I find music that I like every day - there's a very very large range of music that I will listen to. Cheap rip-off Metal just doesn't do it for me (but that's just my taste/opinion...). Sorry you were hurt by my oh so 'negative' comment...

djmistat,
What's wrong with that? I thought it was humorous and it turned out just as I thought it would. What does it say exactly?

Samic,
Find a retirement home for that...

I look at this thread as more of an indicator than anything of what more people are listening to. I say that because I started a thread about the Beatles' record Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, which is considered to be the best album ever recorded, and nobody responded to it (which I find interesting). Maybe the whole 'it's considered the best record of all time' thing scares people away...

#7228 by Vocals & Bass
Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:04 am
Its your buisness, And your freedom of speech. To state your opinion Davis. And that is all anyone here has done, Give their personal opinion. I am sure that "Samic" knows more about Beatles-Sgt. Peppers.####. Than both of us put together. He was more than likely THERE, When the Beatles invaded the US. You can learn alot from your peers, If you are reasonable Bro. Samic has been here a long time, And this is our House. Not for just one person. Maybe we should show respect? Just dont be so defensive Bub. These are good people on this forum.

#7234 by CollectiveAge
Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:27 am
Cum On Feel The Noise, Quiet Riot's biggest hit, was a cover of a Slade song, for those who don't know. (Or care)

Mama Were All Crazy Now was also a Slade song.

Point: Their biggest hit was a cover. But hey, look on the bright side: Randy Rhoads came out of that band.

#7237 by SDavis22
Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:03 am
Vocals and Bass,
That last paragraph I wrote wasn't in response to Samic at all - only the one sentence under his name was (which is referring to a game some elderly people enjoy playing in retirement homes). Not to sound arrogant, though this will anyway, but I hardly ever come across people who know more about popular music's history than I do. There are definitely people out there who know a lot more than me - I have no doubt about that. But I've met many middle aged people who were there and still don't know as much as I do so it goes both ways (maybe they took too much acid haha j/k). I'm sure this forum is full of 'good' people with just as many opinions as me - I just like to debate. I'm never defensive and angry or anything... I just like the exchange.

shelbysixstringer,
Yeah, you're right - their biggest hits (and best songs) were Slade covers. Randy Roads really was the only good thing about that band. The musical direction he took on Ozzy's first two records was amazing with his application of classical-guitar techniques.

#7243 by Vocals & Bass
Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:40 am
SDavis22 wrote:Vocals and Bass,
That last paragraph I wrote wasn't in response to Samic at all - only the one sentence under his name was (which is referring to a game some elderly people enjoy playing in retirement homes). Not to sound arrogant, though this will anyway, but I hardly ever come across people who know more about popular music's history than I do. There are definitely people out there who know a lot more than me - I have no doubt about that. But I've met many middle aged people who were there and still don't know as much as I do so it goes both ways (maybe they took too much acid haha j/k). I'm sure this forum is full of 'good' people with just as many opinions as me - I just like to debate. I'm never defensive and angry or anything... I just like the exchange.

shelbysixstringer,
Yeah, you're right - their biggest hits (and best songs) were Slade covers. Randy Roads really was the only good thing about that band. The musical direction he took on Ozzy's first two records was amazing with his application of classical-guitar techniques.
Then I stand corrected young brother, Its not arrogant to express knowledge. Thats why I like you, You like to debate. And you wont give in. Maybe I do take some posts in a different way than they were meant to be in the first place. Oh Well.., It happens to the best of us.....Peace. VB.

#7255 by mistermikev
Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:50 pm
jerry lee lewis - nicknamed: the killer. he supposedly killed two wives(they died under mysterious circumstances).
quiot riot ripped off slade: hmm, why do you suppose slades version never got very much radio play?
With all due respect, I'd just like to point out the FACT that there are only 12 musical notes in western music... pick a key and harmonize the seven notes therein and you get 7 possible chords... i.e. the I IV V progressions is quite common in blues music... I guess everyone after howlin wolf was a rip off as well? Does anyone know how many beatles songs were based on this progression?
In summation, not a hardcore quiet riot fan -but they were ok in my book -based on face value.
davis: is that what this is about for you? demonstrating your command of rock history, I'm sure mom and dad can hardly contain their pride(hehe).

#7256 by Vocals & Bass
Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:36 pm
Good to see you back MrMikeV. Thanks for the info about Jerry Lee. This place gets lonely & boring without you here Bro. Ive tried talking to the kid, He only sees things his way. You know he will be back as soon as he reads your post. :wink: And he will keep coming back. This is going to be a good one! I look forward to his posts, Because you know theres going to be some Excitment. {In This Corner.} MrMikeV. {And In This Corner} SDavis22. All right gentlemen, NO LOW BLOWS, HEADBUTTING, AND NO HEAD LOCKS! Touch gloves and Fight.....Ding Ding.

#7259 by mistermikev
Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:57 pm
thanks brother, I was sick and in bed for a minute there.
Make no mistake, this is a friendly debate... although davis can be a bit insulting at times (specifically his comment about my mj comments being moronic), I don't hold any bad feelings against him. A little politeness wouldn't go unnoticed... but I won't hold my breath.

#7260 by SDavis22
Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:16 pm
I'm back!!

I wouldn't say simply using Western's musical notes implies ripping anybody off. If so then everybody's been copying whomever came up with the scales for Western music (which has clearly been around longer than Rock and Roll). Rock is based on the blues, more specifically the 12 bar blues, which has been around a lot longer than Howlin' Wolf as well. The Beatles' music was only partly influenced by the blues or used the 12 bar progression - they were also influenced by old Pop standards (English and American) which they later formed into psychedelia.

I don't know how "Quiet Riot is ok in my book based on face value" is a sum of everything you said before that... I personally stopped taking things, especially music, at face value a long time ago - I've discovered a lot of great artists since going deeper than 'face value' (simply liking a hook or whatever it is that would make one like something like Quiet Riot).

Slade didn't get much radio play in America because their brand of Glam was too distinctly British - however they were very popular across the pond. Nobody said Slade was any good, but it's sad that Quiet Riot wasn't popular because of their own compositions.

If we're discussing Rock music then why shouldn't I use my knowledge of it (I usually stay out of things if I don't know what I'm talking about). My parents don't really care about Rock music. They're more proud of my degree in Architecture. As far as music goes they're more 'face value' people...

And I already said the 'moronic' statement was aimed at Michael Jackson jokes, not you. If you know you're not a moron then you shouldn't be offended anyway (even though I wasn't calling you one). I do think Michael Jackson jokes are lame though...

#7262 by mistermikev
Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:35 pm
my point about slade is... what is dif about the slade song? = lyrics. so what is sm about the two = chord progression, meter, melody.
Key and meter are irrelevant, so that leaves chords and melody... close on the melody, but not quite... there's a reason there was no lawsuit...
you can't sue someone for playing the sm chords and/or melody. Copyrights are limited to performances and lyrics because there are no new notes. I don't think sampling was around yet when these guys were popular so...
I'm gonna stop right here cause I def don't want to be the spokesperson for 'why quiet riot is great'.
don't take me too seriously on the parents comment... it was a lighthearted ribbing.

#7265 by mistermikev
Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:11 pm
"I wouldn't say simply using Western's musical notes implies ripping anybody off." -I would'nt either... that would mean every song ever writen w/o the use of semitones was a ripoff of someone.
"Rock is based on the blues, more specifically the 12 bar blues, which has been around a lot longer than Howlin' Wolf as well."
-hello 12 bar blues = 1 4 5 progression!!?! Obviously the time you spent building your historical perspective on rock wasn't wasted on any basic music theory training. With that in mind, who among us really has a 'face value' understanding of the music we are refering to?
"If you know you're not a moron then you shouldn't be offended anyway (even though I wasn't calling you one)." -I appreciate that, and tho I haven't managed to aquire anything as grandios as an architectural degree(can u feel the sarcasm), I did manage to scramble through a degree in computer science... and no it doesn't offend me as I have been called a moron by several people that would qualify as 'much smarter than you'.