This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#69846 by Starfish Scott
Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:45 pm
ooh good idea !

Mr. Fast Fingers and his rig..

http://www.guitarshredshow.com/

Just how DO you like the TC Electronics Q-Tron or whatever it's called.

I really liked the website, had a lot of good info in a dumbed down fashion.
(good for me)
lol

#69899 by Sal_Lead
Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:17 am
Capt. Scott wrote:ooh good idea !

Mr. Fast Fingers and his rig..

http://www.guitarshredshow.com/

Just how DO you like the TC Electronics Q-Tron or whatever it's called.

I really liked the website, had a lot of good info in a dumbed down fashion.
(good for me)
lol

I'll assume the question is to me.

It's the TC Electronics G System.
It's muckin afazin....

Up to three part guitar harmonies.
Intelligent pitch shifting which works two ways.
I can midi it to the keyboard player and it analyzes the chords he's playing then shaps or flats the 3/5/7 etc...as I'm playing.
Or
I can specifically set the scale type (there are 8...major, minor, melodic minor, lydian, aolean, and others I don't remember)

Infinitely adjustable phasers, flange, chorus, delays, reverbs (with more individually adjustable parameters than I can keep track of..lol)

Compressor which can be set individually for each patch.
Noise gates also individual to each patch.

Press BOOST and you have up to a 10db bounce (adjustable) for playing solos.

This peice of gear allows you to plug right in and then stright out to your amp...I don't recommend this. The sensitivities are set for higher level inputs and works much better in an FX loop.

The really cool part is you can split it.
The way I'm rigged up is..
Guitar to INPUT
INSERT OUT to my amp input
Then out from amp's FX loop to the Insert return.
Then out from the OUTPUT to the FX return on the back of the amp.

What this does is splits the G System internally.
Your guitar sounds "WEIRD" when it goes through the compressor AND the effects before the pre amp. You want to compress the guitar BEFORE it goes through the effects (Filters are the only ones where that doesn't apply)

So, the INSERT takes the signal after it goes through the filter and compressor and sends it to the amp.
The FX loop on the amp is AFTER the pre amp.
Then it returns to the G System and does the time based effects before sending it back to the amp.

The DOWNSIDE to this piece of gear...the $1,500 price tag.
But...some people prefer to have 30 buttons under their feet...it's a matter of preference.

Amazing special effects.

You can see videos and hear what it can do here:
http://www.tcelectronic.com/Files/Produ ... index.html

#71504 by Sal_Lead
Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:06 am
Andragon wrote:Hey that looks like the Petrucci rig that someone posted a while ago.

Petrucci's name is on the TC Electronics web site I think.

I love this box.
You can go with the 100 presets or...if you like to write your own patches...you can make this thing give you anything except a blowjob. *And I'm not sure about that either....I perhaps haven't stumbled across the correct fx routing yet!!! lol*

#71531 by Starfish Scott
Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:12 pm
Wow, that thing is cool.. $1500 though? wow.

My N.I. guitar rig w/footswitch setup isn't that harsh price-wise and it seems about as complicated as I can cope with.. Only problem is that you have to use it in conjunction with a decent laptop to get the resources you need to run it stable-like.

#71535 by jw123
Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:25 pm
I looked at a G Unit and thought it was too expensive when I was building up my stage rig. But thinking back now it would have been cheaper than stringing together a bunch of stomp boxes like I have, Im sure with the noise gates it would sound a lot cleaner.

Capt I dont think I would want to lug around a laptop to the dives I play in. It might sprout legs. I did look at those last year when you were talking about it. It looks like a killer recording tool to me. Just being able to pull up different amps and such. I wound up buying a POD PRO off craigslist for a really good price and dialed in a few settings and when I record these days I ussually do sratch tracks with it and then come back with live amps later. But some stuff I did a couple of weeks ago for a friend sounded so good that i just left the POD on there. When my band practices i use the POD and just go straight into the board, Ive got this one setting that started as a JCM 800 that just kills to me.

#71543 by Starfish Scott
Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:13 pm
You'll find that MOST string of stomp boxes sound MUCH better than it's equivalent or however it's coming. (I hate it too, I don't want stomp boxes anymore)(there is always an exception)

And I already had that problem at one point about laptops trying to leave the scene of the crime without me. Good thing I always keep one eye on it at all times. Someone tried to grab my old ass 54/57 RI as well and the club owner got him, saved me the trouble of removing his head in public. (if it had been private, they would have found his body washed up downstream)

The only reason I liked the N.I. piece was it really is VERSATILE. I can't use all the bells and whistles, but they sure do look purty! lol (I just play it, I can't dial it in unless I take time to make my own presets)

And the footswitch is made solidly, which is good. (I have a bad tendency to get overcome by the heat o the moment and be too rough) Another thing is the footswitch contains a soundcard which is really gaudy and fun, but most of all the tone is GLORIOUS. If you have time to sit and play with it, I would be inclined to say you could make almost any tone coloring at all and you know I want to paint with the instrument, wild gaudy paintings that can be seen from WAY OUT PAST THE MONOLITH..lol

#72387 by Sal_Lead
Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:23 pm
jw123 wrote:I looked at a G Unit and thought it was too expensive when I was building up my stage rig. But thinking back now it would have been cheaper than stringing together a bunch of stomp boxes like I have, Im sure with the noise gates it would sound a lot cleaner.

Yes..the G System was expensive, but, considering that you'll pay anwhere from $100-$200 and more for a QUALITY stomp box..it almost evens out in the end..And you're only lugging ONE piece of gear.
Then there's plugging in a cable harness (which I made of course) as opposed to cable everywhere and finding power for a gazillion boxes or..GAWD FORBID buying batteries for same...the cost almost works out about even.
The G has power outs for powering any stomps you may want to add to the rig..there are five loops which break the signal chain and allow you to add in stomp boxes if you like..step on the loop button and the box is in..step on it again and the box is out..if you change patches..the loops turn back off unless you set the patch to have the loop on all the time (and of course, you step on the loop button to turn take the stomp back out of the patch if you so desire)

I play an all tube Marshall (TSL 100) and the G has a nice feature that I can set anywhere from 0 to 10db of boots for a solo switch and not have to change channels on the amp or reach for volume knobs.

Plus..getting the time based efx BEHIND the pre amp make them sound so much cleaner.

#72388 by jw123
Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:30 pm
Im totally in agreement Sal.

I bought a big pedal pad board and started putting pedals on there. Ive probably got somewhere between 1200 and 2000 dollars invested in my setup, but I already had a bunch of these pedals.

I feel that individual pedals do sound better than the boxes that claim the sound, but when stringing a bunch together you compromise a lot of tone with all the wires.
#79116 by my7of9
Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:44 pm
Sal_Lead wrote:
mistermikev wrote:I just built a few more pedals (a proco rat, rangemaster, and am mxr micro amp) and took a shot of my collection-so-far and wanted to share. If you've got a pedal setup... and a pick of it... post it here.

LOL....I've got ALL that and then some in here:

While I think those are fantastic I think the reason pedals are so fascinating is that you can get more than one person or company's vision of what something should sound like. But for saving space there is nothing like one of those that is for sure!

#79134 by mistermikev
Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:42 am
...sort of but not really...

I have a multifx unit too... but

-you absolutely cannot mimic the interaction between a fuzz circuit and your gtr pickups with multifx.

-IME every company does some things well and other things 'ok'. with pedals you really can combine the best chorus, best flanger, best compressor... (I believe you alluded to this in your response)

-digital compressors are no match for analog compressors - for years my digitech's onboard compressor had me thinking that compressors are useless... then I got an analog orange squeezer.

-digital clipping blows - so using a digital device to blast the front end of your tube amp just doesn't work the sm.

-no digital delay in the world sounds like a bucket brigade chip - close... about as close as a modeler can get to sounding like a real tube amp... but that's not close enough for me.

don't get me wrong: both methods have advantages - with multifx you can 'remember' your settings and even have them load automagically via midi... some units even let you sync delay times to the beat.

oh, and here's an updated pic of my gigantic pedalboard...

#79150 by RGMixProject
Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:47 am
That would make a great show & tell for shcool

.....and this pedal at 100 watts sounds like this :D

#79206 by my7of9
Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:12 pm
A little something I threw together real quick for the photo. Several prototypes, couple of BYOC and several Bardel Pedals. Also included are self built versions of a Klon Centaur, Dirty Little Secret, Aquapuss, Neovibe, Blackstone Appliance Mosfet OD and a self made Wah Wah using an old Crybaby shell.

#79239 by mistermikev
Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:57 pm
my7of9 wrote:A little something I threw together real quick for the photo. Several prototypes, couple of BYOC and several Bardel Pedals. Also included are self built versions of a Klon Centaur, Dirty Little Secret, Aquapuss, Neovibe, Blackstone Appliance Mosfet OD and a self made Wah Wah using an old Crybaby shell.

vnice. can you spot the pedals on my board that I made?

there's 17 in that photo... rangemaster, blue clipper, thundercheif, BSIB2, fuzz face, rat, orange squeezer, ts808 + org sqz, another ts808, dod od250 + rosscomp, dr boogey, green ringer, dr q, micro amp, dual true bypass, ultra flanger and a byoc chorus.

#79292 by my7of9
Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:57 pm
mistermikev wrote:
my7of9 wrote:A little something I threw together real quick for the photo. Several prototypes, couple of BYOC and several Bardel Pedals. Also included are self built versions of a Klon Centaur, Dirty Little Secret, Aquapuss, Neovibe, Blackstone Appliance Mosfet OD and a self made Wah Wah using an old Crybaby shell.

vnice. can you spot the pedals on my board that I made?

there's 17 in that photo... rangemaster, blue clipper, thundercheif, BSIB2, fuzz face, rat, orange squeezer, ts808 + org sqz, another ts808, dod od250 + rosscomp, dr boogey, green ringer, dr q, micro amp, dual true bypass, ultra flanger and a byoc chorus.

I will have a look. I cannot spot the Thunderchief.

#79316 by mistermikev
Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:08 am
it's the british flag one.