This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#65630 by J-HALEY
Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:14 pm
I agree with HowlinJ you need to learn how to learn songs without that crap it is called ear training I have never used anything like that I learn songs and solo's by ear at normal speed you just have to take it a few notes at a time. :D

#68962 by MiloB1957
Sat May 30, 2009 6:46 am
All this chatter of "software downloads" and Tascam trainers? Is there anyone left on this planet that uses their ears?

#69667 by Sal_Lead
Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:42 am
Someone beat me to telling you AUDACITY..

Best piece of software I ever downloaded for free!!! lol

#69668 by Sal_Lead
Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:44 am
J-HALEY wrote:I agree with HowlinJ you need to learn how to learn songs without that crap it is called ear training I have never used anything like that I learn songs and solo's by ear at normal speed you just have to take it a few notes at a time. :D

Sometimes...you're trying to learn a piece that's either being played in 64th note triplets, @ 180BPM or is so heavily processed or BOTH that you simply can't hear what you're trying to hear.
Or, the mix down on the song was kinda weird and just in that spot your'e trying to pull that measure out of, there's a crash cymbal that blasts in over the top of it.

That's where the Audacity comes in.

#69684 by Sal_Lead
Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:23 am
Milo B. wrote:All this chatter of "software downloads" and Tascam trainers? Is there anyone left on this planet that uses their ears?

Yeah...I'm a lead guitarist who learned Eric Johnson's Cliffs of Dover by ear....but used audacity for Spirit of Radio.
Not for the notes..for the timing going into the end part of the song.

Go figure.

I've talked to more than a few people who claim to be 100% accurate but they damned sure ain't.

#105623 by Brian01
Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:50 am
Oy, too easy, and free.....

If you use Winamp, you're set.....

Go here: http://www.1001tunes.com/WinampHelp/index.html

Download and install Slowmewp.exe

This is a plugin for Winamp, allowing you to slow down a song with no change in pitch. You can also modify the pitch, and speed, if you are a few cent's out of tune with any particular song.

You guys can thank me later... :)

#107815 by SuhrGT555
Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:24 am
I would say screw the slowing down....learning solos (or music by ear) at normal tempo is the best way to advance your hearing and eartraining....which is THE most important tools you have as a musician!!!