This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#61216 by MaconMike
Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:51 pm
Currently I use a Fender Blues Jr. to sometimes gig but mostly practice. ( Got tired of lugging 100 watt heads and large cabinets;~) I am thinking about buying a second Blues Jr. and play through both at gigs. Reason:
1. Increased volume??
2. When not playing guitar, I wanna switch to harmonica. (with some ajustments)

What is the best way to do this.??

#61236 by jw123
Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:47 pm
Something Ive done that simplifies things is run out of one amp. If it has a slave output take that signal back to the send return on the second amps effects return. Doing this the first amps preamp is the preamp for both amps. The second amp is just a power amp. On most of my amps this takes all the preamp tone controls out of the circuit and the master volume is ussually the only control that works on the second amp.

Im not familiar with the Blues Jr amps.

Another route is if you are using a delay or chorus pedal with stereo outs you could hit each amp this way. Ive got an old A/B box but never used it very much.

Good Luck

#61257 by Lizzy Janes Rescue
Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:04 pm
The Blues Jr doesn't have a loop and only 1 input so daisy chaining is out as well. The LS-2 is really more than an ABY, its an effects loop pedal with adjustable line levels. It's for running two different effects set-ups. You could use a "Y" type guitar cord for a lot less $$$. I use the delay pedal trick myself.

#61266 by mistermikev
Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:38 pm
a y cable alone does not have a buffer. ie it will work but it will sound like all hell with the tone/vol drop out.

like aforementioned, if you have some stereo fx that'll work and considering the price of an aby box u r better off spending the money on a stereo fx box IMO. (craigslist!)

(if u r handy with an iron I could show you a schem/layout for an aby box... just say the word)

#61284 by philbymon
Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:15 am
Not to hijack this thread, but I always felt the need to run through an A/B switch for stereo effect, instant multi-effects, & using two amps. Never found one that was worth a damn, though.

To add insult to injury, "real" guitarists always look at me like I have 3 heads when I describe this need. I still think it would be a way cool effect though.

#61291 by J-HALEY
Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:10 am
Use a stereo chorus and you will have a sound you will not believe I love those little blues Jr. one of the best amps ever made for the money IMO. 8)
#61515 by MaconMike
Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:47 pm
Thanks for all the ideas. I know somebody the is pedal crazy. I will see what he has and test it out with and old 50watt Bassman Head i have.

I've never been much on effects pedals. I find the sound I like and stick with that. I do use a Cry Baby and a Reverend Drive Train.

The Poppy

#63135 by Bluesland
Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:04 pm
Sorry if this is late but, I'm new here..

For running two amps at once you have to be careful of the potential grounding and phase issues..

Check out www.startouchpedals.com He makes some GREAT a/b/y pedals that are much better than "commercial" Boss, Morley, Whirlwind, type stuff.
Tony actually grounds the inputs and a few other tricks..

Good Luck.
#68963 by Sixstringsax
Sat May 30, 2009 7:47 am
[quote="mistermikev"

(if u r handy with an iron I could show you a schem/layout for an aby box... just say the word)[/quote]

I'd like to see those plans for the ABY box, if you don't mind.

Thanks.