This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#5746 by gexclamationpoint
Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:12 pm
Irminsul wrote:
Samic-BluesFunkJazz wrote:To those of you having a problem with religion & your music, I have a suggestion.
Instead of using your music to try to promote your religion, why not use your music to promote the VALUES of your religion?
That is, things like honesty, respect for others, brotherly love . . ..

Well said. Reminds me of a bumpersticker I saw recently - "God, I Need You...but I've Had My Fill of Religion".

totally agree with you guys.

its like, you can have a song with the message "worship god" but how does that promote change or good values? people have to stop being so concerned with telling others who to believe in and more concerned with recognizing the problems our society faces.

#6472 by Diamond in the rough
Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:03 pm
Think your state is bad looking for Good Christian Musicians, try coming to Utah... I'm still looking for Christian Musicians... :lol:

check me out at http://bandmix.com/profile113792.html and tell me what you think...

I have been trying to put a band back together for a long while, and when you tell Christian's you what to play outside the church, they run from you, what's wrong with this picture? I thought that's where the mission field is...

tony
#6475 by Diamond in the rough
Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:14 pm
LittleDrummerBoy777 wrote:Hey Folks, I've been a Christian Musician for some time and I seen both sides of the fence. I believe Christian and secular music even in nightclubs can be played. Sometimes it is not what you play or where you play it. It is what you stand for and how you carry yourself. There are plenty of secular songs with alot of heart and a great meaning. God did not call us or give a gift just to be shared with other Christians. Our lord went to places that other people in his time considered to be off limits because of the kind of people that were there. Remember we are the salt and the light. If you have a gift, use it. Other folks will want what you have and want to know how you got it. Then it is time to share. God bless you. Keep the Beat. Increase the piece.

Little Drummerboy, you are so correct in your speech, God did not call us to sit in the pews, he called us to action, to use our God Given Talents in dark places to shed the light... Good job, keep it up for I desire the same...
#6477 by Diamond in the rough
Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:20 pm
domainmarket wrote:I always new there were some good Christian bands out there, but I never knew there were many churches that used it as a part of thier service.

I was wondering if Christian bands played in the usual venues where alcohol is served? If not, do churches accept musicians that do? I have to make a living, which means playing all over the place, but I have no problem playing at a church.

Hey,

My band got to play at the 2002 Olympics here is SLC that was great. We are a Christian band. God called us to Use our God given talents in dark places, bars or no bars… He didn’t call us to sit in the pews.
#6478 by Diamond in the rough
Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:24 pm
Check out our stuff, and listen to some of our songs and please be critical, we are a Christian Band that got to play in the 2002 Olympics here is SLC that was great. We are Christian and God called us to Use our God given talents in dark places, bars or no bars… He didn’t call us to sit in the pews. non-the less, tell us what you think...

#6506 by Irminsul
Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:51 am
chongo wrote:Think your state is bad looking for Good Christian Musicians, try coming to Utah... I'm still looking for Christian Musicians... :lol:

You say you're in Utah? I was born and here and lived here off and on my entire life - how can you not find Christian musicians here? I mean the state is overflowing with Christians! Saying you can't find Christian musicians here is like saying you can't find any grease at a McDonald's restaurant.

#6508 by Diamond in the rough
Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:35 am
Irminsul wrote:
chongo wrote:Think your state is bad looking for Good Christian Musicians, try coming to Utah... I'm still looking for Christian Musicians... :lol:

You say you're in Utah? I was born and here and lived here off and on my entire life - how can you not find Christian musicians here? I mean the state is overflowing with Christians! Saying you can't find Christian musicians here is like saying you can't find any grease at a McDonald's restaurant.

I agree with your quote "To those of you having a problem with religion & your music, I have a suggestion.
Instead of using your music to try to promote your religion, why not use your music to promote the VALUES of your religion?
That is, things like honesty, respect for others, brotherly love . . .."

I would also like to clarify my statement. Most Christians here in the valley are afraid of playing outside of the church because they are afraid to be judged by the church for playing in the bars, and the dark places... This I call legalizm, or religion, when in fact we are to go to the highways and byways. We cannot discriminate anyone because God loves us all. Are we greater than HIM?

#6854 by SDavis22
Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:11 am
Why don't you guys not promote religion at all? All it does is separate people...

#6898 by Irminsul
Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:40 pm
Kinda gets in the way of the notion of a "Christian Band" don't you think, Seth?

#6907 by SDavis22
Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:55 pm
I just mean spread the message of love and peace and everything without excluding other listeners who may not be Christian. The message may get across to a larger audience that way...

#6981 by gexclamationpoint
Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:08 am
i agree. trying to spread a message of love and peace and then promoting only christianity is hypocritical at best.

everyone will be better off when we realize that we all belong to the human race instead of a single religion. we're all in this world together.

additionally, restricting ourselves to one religion lets us fall into the trap of supporting everyone in the same religion, even if they do something bad. lets take a look at george bush, shall we? i love seeing christians that support him, when his only christian values are going to church on sunday. just another exuse he can use to not do his job, i guess.

#6994 by RhythmMan
Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:20 pm
Probably more people would join churches if their leaders didn't live like kings while collecting money from the poor . . .
What would Jesus say to that?

#7057 by gexclamationpoint
Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:41 am
jesus would say "oh sh*t, you assholes have turned my religion into a giant pile of hypocrosy. bastards"

little known fact: jesus was a pretty foul-mouthed for a savior.

#8335 by [email protected]
Wed May 09, 2007 9:53 pm
Yeah, there are but we are few and far between, sad to say. Makes it hard for musicians to get hooked up together. sigh.

#8339 by RhythmMan
Wed May 09, 2007 11:51 pm
vstan,
I'm not a church-goer, but I am a guitarist.
I've got a question that was always in the back of my mind.
I play a lot of upbeat, original music.
Every so often I see an ad that is looking for Christians for a band, or just to play.
I have avoided them; I just don't know how open-minded they are towards regular folks.
My question is this: Should I avoid responding to these ads?
Thanks.