This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#5386 by AndruCNB
Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:06 pm
I mean it. Where'd they go? Doesn't anybody take singing seriously anymore...and do it well!? One that isn't already singing with another group, that is. When I left the last band I used to tour with, putting together another band didn't seem so hard, but it's been easier bringing on musicians from halfway across the country than it's been to find a qualified singer. None of us are "math rockers", (though some included (not me) did spend a little time at Berkley) but we do expect a certain amount of ability...like the ability to sing. With range. Folks (in my recent experience, anyhow) seem to like to tell tales. They'd all have you believe they're practically virtuosos. None have been to date. Bummer, right? Right. Big time. Any other bands out there found that auditioning singers is not unlike running a carrot peeler down the bridge of your nose....over and over again? Better yet, does anybody know any real singers?

#5424 by Irminsul
Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:04 pm
There are a few good ones here, but you are waaaaay out of my neighborhood (I'm in Utah).

I think part of the problem is that today there is a lot of confusion regarding what, exactly, is a "good singer". You may think it's someone who has good pitch, great range, and some command of style with a captivating presence. THEY may think its nothing more than emo-whining or screaming about their once healthy ovaries or something. Who's right?

Depends on what you're looking for.

#5428 by BassPlay3r
Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:27 pm
Most of the best singers I've heard of with range I've collaborated with online @ http://www.musicianscollaboration.com. I'm from the SF Bay Area and there is just does not pay to play live in clubs. The only live music that pays is doing corporate gigs so the best seem to go in that direction.
#5602 by Rock n Roll Pipes
Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:58 am
Good question.... I'm a vocalist but I live in Jacksonville, FL. It's funny because at first I wasnt going to get back into music...singing anyway.... becaause I thought too much time had gone by and I just wouldn't be able to compete...... welp...I dont claim to be the best... but I can hold a tune and have a good range.... not great but good... and I can hold my own.... but you would think I was the an incarnation of a new David Coverdale with the demands and responses from tryouts and the such...
When I asked different people about this..... they said the same thing as you....either people tell tall tales or just flat out cant really sing.

I have music posted here look under Vocalist/general... screen name rock n roll pipes... also I have music posted on www.myspace.com/2Bitter2Bsweet if you care to check it out. Not that it'll help because you guys are so far away... but just for the hell of it.

I dont know what happened to all the vocalists...... I'm starting to think I'mone of the few left.... is that a good thing? Only if there was a huge contract at stake I guess. But I wish you guys luck in finding one. If I my kids werent still in school, I'd consider flying up there and trying out... because I really want to persue a good band with potential. I think I'll be joining one this wekend but that remains to be seen. Peace and best of luck.

#5612 by Irminsul
Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:34 pm
BassPlay3r wrote:Most of the best singers I've heard of with range I've collaborated with online @ http://www.musicianscollaboration.com. I'm from the SF Bay Area and there is just does not pay to play live in clubs. The only live music that pays is doing corporate gigs so the best seem to go in that direction.

Bassplyr I just signed up on that place. It looks very slick, but I havent seen alot of activity on it. Feel like throwing some of these vocalists you've worked with my way? You can either do it here or on musiciancollaboration. I have the same name there.

#5631 by Nicotine
Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:38 am
God i wish I'd be able to find some of your guys bands....Bands where i come from a Ridiculous....Yea I'm looking for death metal band around my town talked to a band there... they not only wanted high-pitched pig-noises screams and sounds of slaughter but also wanted low death metal tones like that of six-feet under.....dident even give me a chance cause i can't make the sound of a pig being slaughtered into the mic.
Sometimes bands expect alot more out of me then they can get and thats when I'm not apart of a band anymore....
#5642 by Rock n Roll Pipes
Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:02 am
Hey man..... just saw your post.

i dont know what your situation is but if you can get down here to Jacksonville, there's a good demand for real vocalists here..

As far as your comments.... I agree totally my friend. Sometimes people have unreal expectations. Ideally... as you know... is to find a band that likes your overall sound and is then willing to work within the singers range... emphasize his strengths and do their best to avoid the weakness.
as far as I've seen .... There are very few vocalists who can do it all..so to speak. I've been fortunate enough to find a band who is willing to write within my range..... and as a result.... it doesnt tax my voice and then frees me up to reach for those highs and lows that are sometimes needed., which in turn compliments the group as a whole.

The solo stuff I have posted here is actually the complete opposite of what my band plays... Hopefully soon... I'll be able to get the whole band on here ... we're still tweaking some things...had to find a new drummer and bass player and finally got one. As a band ...we are much more hardcore... kinda like the song "Reach for You" that I have posted. My solo stuff is mellow... piano based music.

If you ever decide to work your way down here... I'll do what I can to put you in touch with some good people and musicians I've benn fortunate enough to meet. Best of luck.

Mike

#6436 by Lady Rocker
Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:24 pm
We're right here..... Where are U ???? :?

#6443 by Vocals & Bass
Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:08 am
Would you give me some of you advise Lady Rocker? Been looking for someone who has your knowledge on vocals & playing in different cover bands. Give me some advise that just hits you. exercises, health [vocals], etc. What Ive learnd already from you posts helps to know. Thanks.

#6445 by sonya
Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:47 am
singer here in the UK :)

now I would like to know where all the drummers are - we need a drummer and can we find one - no - have looked round the sheep and everything :D

#6465 by Lady Rocker
Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:27 pm
I dunno if I'm really good at giving advice or not, ( I could on the HOT TODDY deal, cuz it actually worked a miracle for me) - BUT..... ya know, all singers are different and have different ways of warming up!!

I've been singing since I was like 3 years old.....started performing in front of people around....7...... Have done many different things! Been in dance troops, local Broadway type shows, to weddings, etc. etc....

I haven't done any "vocal exersises" since I was taking vocal lessons :wink: ! But, it is good to take 3 to 4 DEEP breaths before you start singing..... in through the nose and out through the mouth to really get your lungs filled up with oxygen!! Depending on how my throat is feeling.... I sometimes will close my mouth and depress my tongue and release it several times to loosen the area.

I always start out with an easy song for me to sing, no straining, or grungy stuff.... and do a couple of those to get my vocals warmed up - then when your warmed up and feelin good.... I rip it up!! :D
When playing out.... for instance our first set would be:

U Really Got Me - VH, Gel - Collective Soul, That Don't Satisfy Me - Brother Kane, Hit Me with your Best Shot - Pat Benatar, Born to Be Wild......... and as you can see, after a couple of easy tunes for me...no straining..... then I pick up the pace a little bit!!

Anyway.... Hope that helps..... oh, I guess I could say one more thing... if you are a "drinker"....... I suggest going light on that too.... had many bad experiences with EXCELLENT people just going over board!! Not pretty :wink: !! I usually drank my free drink per set....and ALWAYS had water on hand!! There, I'm done.... :oops: