This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#62402 by ratsass
Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:38 am
don't know if this is helpful, but after years of singing (I was self conscious but forced myself to sing until I got used to it), and always dressing up and playing gigs on Halloween, I noticed that when I was in costume, I was a much freer spirit. Something about the dressing up and makeup caused me not to be me (if that makes sense).

#62409 by ZXYZ
Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:01 am
..yeh and what you give to the audience, they'll give you ten-fold back.. :D

#62416 by fisherman bob
Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:25 am
First of all you"re not going to sing any better if you don't sing. Second, how many really famous singers can you think of who aren't really very good singers IN YOUR OPINION? I bet you can think of a bunch. Third, who really gives a crap. I'm not being negative here on your phobia. You have to have the attitude that you're going to sing and you don't care what other people think. When I close my eyes and really listen to Michael Jackson for example, or Wayne Newton, or Justin Timberlake, I really don't think they're very good singers. But they're all ENTERTAINERS. They put on a great show. They're having a good time. A live vocalist is much more than just someone singing. It's about personality. It's about communicating with the other band members and the audience. You have to let your personality come through to the people around you. Your voice will get better the more you sing, that's inevitable. But for right now you have to just say screw it I'm singing. I'm going to enjoy it, I'm going to have a good time and DON'T WORRY about your technical ability now. Just sing your ass off. My two cents...

#62471 by Chippy
Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:00 pm
Thanks very much everyone. I've read, listened and understood the very good comments made by everyone on this thread.

Ok I guess I'll just have to go and do it, but here first where its safe. :roll:

I do not even have a proper mic so I'll just use what I have here and make the Studio do the rest of it and just see what happens?

Many thanks everyone. You are a top bunch of people.

Cheers.

Chippy.

#62477 by philbymon
Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:23 pm
Hey Chippy - try singing ONE song with your buddies in a band situation. You'll know they're there if you fall, & can take over for ya, but I'll bet you have the cojones to pull it off, to coin a phrase.

Good luck.

#62484 by Starfish Scott
Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:37 pm
I caught my one buddy hamming it off during his latest bout of ROCK BAND and realized that's what that game is good for.

Pretending to "damage control". LOL

#62493 by ML0575
Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:25 pm
I totally understand Chippy, I absolutely love to sing but can't bring myself to do it live! I have been on stage in a band setting twice, and sang karaoke in various places dozens of times and each time felt like my heart was about to beat out of my chest....lol But honestly now I'm ready to sink or swim!! Life is short my friend, live everyday like it's your last...

#62502 by gbheil
Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:26 pm
One of these gents once wrote to "play as if all alone, and for your last time"
I like that analogy. Would make a good T-shirt slogan.
I dont recall whom. I think it may have been Hunter.

#62512 by Powergroove75
Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:18 am
I find that a bong hit and a good hurle (puke, vomit, etc.) are a good way to get over the "fear"... lol

But seriously... Having been a front man for most of my musical career, it's all about just getting up there and doing YOUR thing. If you get out there and put your heart into it every time, people will feel that energy and you'll start to feed off of it. Before you know it... you crave it.

The first time I ever had to be "just a singer" I was scared Sh*tless! Now it's much easier.

Good luck and remember.... if you're nervous... just up chuck! hahaha

I'll be playing my first live gig in 3 years this month. The last time I played live was at the Key Club in Hollywood as a headliner playing in a metal band. This time I'll be playing acoustic bass and 12 string! Talk about being out of my element. I'm sure I'll throw a good chuck before hitting the stage... hehehehe

#62543 by BobbyAlan
Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:58 am
I can tell you that hopefully you will never get over 'Stage Fright ' as they call it. Even the best performers get it. It does go away after the first note is sung. They say it's the edge for a good performance. If you don't have that anxiety, then you just don't care and it will show up in your final product.....