This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#60683 by Justin2129
Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:11 am
if i'm not playing or listening to music i like to watch Nascar, Football, and college basketball, and I also like to drive.

#60775 by philbymon
Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:17 am
Sans - you can do tile, if it's a really good quality, & you do NOT use standard grout. Use the latex stuff in a tube, after shoring up the floor joists a bit, & laying down that concrete board stuff. It's at least as expensive as good quality wood, though, & if you drop a heavy pickle jar on it, it can crack up or even shatter like glass.

Dents in wood can be fixed with your standard steam iron, if you are careful. The steam actually raises the crushed fibers in the wood a bit, so it can be sanded & refinished.

I don't recommend wood for kitchens or bathrooms, although many ppl use it there & are quite happy with it. (Guys missing the toilet in the dead of night can ruinate wood flooring & make it stink like a crappy service station that never cleans up.) For kitchens & baths, I recommend either good quality tile, or the old standby - vinyl flooring. Never use the stick-on tiles, imo, though millions of ppl disagree. Vinyl flooring is one of the best things ever invented. Water doesn't usually penetrate it at all, so spills are easilly cleaned up. Tile is beautiful & long-lasting, but more fragile if you drop something on it. The fake marbles & granites out there are really beautiful & rich-looking, though, I must admit, & they are more durable than the real thing, in most cases, cuz they can flex a bit.

#60778 by TheDownLow
Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:32 am
Beaver hunting. Married the ultimate. She likes to chew on my ass.

#60779 by philbymon
Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:37 am
Um.....TMI?

#60788 by fisherman bob
Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:27 am
Hey philbymon, do you have any disc golf courses near you? The sport is much harder than it looks. If you get into it don't start out with the long distance overstable drivers. Start throwing drivers like Innova Sidewinder or Discraft Avenger SS. Add a couple of straight midrange discs like Innova Roc, Discraft Buzzz, or Lightning #3 Flyer. For putters go with Innova Aviar Putt & approach or Lightning Rubber Putter. Your friends who disc golf are going to want to hook you up with the hard stuff (Innova Boss, Innova Destroyer, etc.). When you start turning over or flipping the Sidewinder graduate to the harder stuff (you'll find out what that means sooner hopefully). There's a bunch of different websites that are very informative. Check out discgolfreview (or is it golfdiscreview?). Players of all skill levels rate almost all the model discs out there. Pay attention to what the newbies say about the different discs. If you have any questons you can send me a message. Later...

#60790 by gbheil
Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:31 am
Thanks Phil. Your a world of knowlege!
That is the cool thing about this place. We all share more than music.
And we all share MUSIC !!!!

#60811 by philbymon
Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:46 am
bob - I have no idea how hard it looks, cuz I've never seen it. I thought it was something you do for fun at the park. There are "COURSES? I tried asking around about it, but have yet to meet anyone who knows what it is, or has even seen it played, so all my info comes from you. (I'm beginning to think I may be a little "mature" for this sport!)

sans - you're quite welcome to anything I know anything about. which isn't much.

#60828 by Paleopete
Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:13 pm
Neanderpaul those are some excellent pics, love the first insect (the yellow one, not sure what it is0 and the flowers. I've gotten some good flower shots on 35mm but none in digital form yet. Also have a couple of very good moon shots but not on this computer or photobucket yet, guess I need to upload a couple.

Went out and sat in the photo blind again yesterday, same spot I got the picture of the Blue Wing Teal posted earlier, and got some more. 3 Blue Wing Teal drakes were swimming around feeding, no hens in sight anywhere, they must be sitting on nests keeping eggs warm. I'm expecting to see baby Wood Ducks before too long, maybe some Teal too if I'm lucky.

Also the Pied Billed Grebes were out, as usual, and 5 alligators, ranging from 2 feet long to an 8 footer sitting about 100 yards away. The pic here is a 5 footer sitting on a log about 20 feet from the photo blind.

Here's a nice shot of a Blue Wing Teal drake, I sized these down a bit so the page wouldn't get so large and saved them as GIF files to load a bit quicker.

Then there was a Pied Billed Grebe that sat still long enough to get a nice shot...

And of course our good friend the alligator getting some sun...

I took about 50-60 pics to get a few keepers, I'm doing what is referred to as "digiscoping"...I set up a digital camera to take pictures through a spotting scope at 20X magnification. It's difficult, since it magnifies motion as well as the image, so I have to set the camera on timer mode and half the time the ducks swim out of the picture before it shoots, plus it's tricky to get the focusing right, because I only have a 2 1/2" screen to view. So I end up taking lots of pictures and deleting 90% of them. I also got several good videos of the Teals and Grebes, last week I got some nice footage of the Wood Ducks hopping a foot out of the water to grab the new buds on a Willow tree. Maybe I'll have to set up a youtube account to upload some of those, not sure if photobucket has video capability...

Hope you guys enjoy these, and you can see all of them at my photobucket page including some equipment and onstage shots and the wilodlife shots not posted here yet.

http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/ff58/paleopete/

#60834 by 1collaborator
Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:19 pm
[img]100_2461[/img] Talk about hunting beaver !

#60836 by Crip2Nite
Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:22 pm

#60883 by Paleopete
Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:02 pm
Oh man, a soft shell...cool! Where did you find that little guy?

Going to try and check out a new spot today, if I can get there, tried yesterday and one of the roads in was closed, have to try another route. Supposed to be a good spot, another Wildlife Management Area, and the endangered Red Cockaded Woodpecker is just one of the regular residents. I probably won't be lucky enough to see one, much less get a picture, but I guess I can always hope...

Went to one of my favorite places yesterday, Handy Brake right outside town, got one decent picture of a sparrow, not good enough to show off. Those guys are hard to catch they move so fast. A few Ring Neck Ducks are still there but not many, most have already gone north, and about 30 Coots were swimming around. Didn't see the usual Bald Eagle. Still trying to get a picture of an eagle, they elude me every time so far...

Nice pics crip. Love the soft shell, that's great.

#60886 by ratsass
Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:11 pm
I saw a bald headed eagle the other day. At least I THINK it was a bald headed eagle...he parted his feathers on the side of his head and combed them over. :D

#60893 by fisherman bob
Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:05 pm
Hey Philbymon, it's never too late to play any sport. Most disc golf courses have eighteen holes just like ball golf (that's what we disc golfers call golf). Disc golf certainly has its challenges. Having played both I would say disc golf is more difficult. Just my opinion. I don't see too many really old guys playing disc golf. Go to almost any golf course on the weekends and there's all ages of golfers. There also doesn't seem to be as many women playing disc golf either. To find a disc golf course near you go to the PDGA course directory. They list nearly every disc golf course in the USA. Visit one near you on a nice Saturday or Sunday and just observe the players (hopefully the course gets players on a weekend). When I first found out about disc golf I was reading the local alternative newspaper (there's all kinds of music articles) and I stumbled on an article about disc golf. I had driven by a course near the Kansas City zoo and thought it was a bunch of hippies playing catch in the park and throwing their frisbees into baskets (that;s pretty much what it is!). I was looking for a new sport to try and this sounded interesting. So I called the guy in the article and he told me where to buy discs and what course to try (the easiest one hopefully). I bought a handful of discs and went to a course and watched people playing and fell in love. Almost every course is FREE to play, there's very few pay to play disc golf courses. They are almost always in public parks. You don"t need a lot of discs to start. A lot of people start with one, but I recommend at least five. Two drivers (1 straight and 1 overstable, two midrange (1 understable and 1 overstable) and one putter. You're looking at $50 to $70 and you"re ready to go. Anyway check out the PDGA website. It's full of good info...

#60894 by fisherman bob
Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:07 pm
Don't ever try and pick up a big soft shelled turtle, you'll lose a finger or two, literally.

#60896 by Crip2Nite
Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:42 pm
Hee hee. That's a pic of my little softshell from 4 years ago... his name is "Flapjak" and he's still going strong! To keep him from growing too large, I simply keep him in a regular size tank.... it works.... He's only about the size of my full palm now whereas my last one grew as big as a frizbee cause I kept getting him bigger tanks! This thing is nasty.... will bite my fingers off any time he can but I know that so when I hold him, I do it with care... Gotta love the little guy! He's got the life.. 8)