This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Talk with other musicians and industry professionals.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#59847 by darrylks
Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:02 pm
my band has been togather for a few years. We generally play private parties so there is not big deal with what we play. Now some local lounges and bars want us to play for them. most for our play list is cover music. Are there limitations we need to be aware of. Are there restriction to what we play in public. What do we need to have (paper wise) to play cover music in a public venue?
Last edited by darrylks on Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

#59857 by Andragon
Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:21 pm
-.- I misread the question.. sigh.
Last edited by Andragon on Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

#59933 by AzStix4570
Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:31 am
You don't need anything "on paper" or otherwise to perform someone else's music live.

The only time you have to get permission and pay royalties, is if you want to record and sell someone else's material.

Rock on! :wink:
#59941 by darrylks
Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:25 am
thanks that's what i thought. i just was not sure.

#59989 by philbymon
Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:55 pm
You need

#1 material - enough to last 4-5 solid hours of playing

#2 equipment that can take the beating the road stuff takes

#3 the audacity to get on stage in front of ppl you don't know

#4 the knowledge to change on the fly if you're too loud, or your material isn't working for the ppl

#5 extra everything in case something breaks down, or the ability to fix things on the fly

#6 to look like you're having the time of your life even when you feel like poop or you're mad at your singer

#7 to be on time (which means EARLY for the gig so you can handle #5 above) & in tune

#8 to interact with the audience whenever possible in a positive way

#9 to look & to act like a pro

I think that's about it.

#59991 by RhythmMan
Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:31 pm
Mmmm . . .
Add to that: you need to get paid.

#60047 by BobbyAlan
Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:33 pm
don't forget the bar tab....lol

#60067 by philbymon
Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:05 am
Um...I should have said 4 - 5 hours of REHEARSED material!

Also, as far as the bar tab goes, I ALWAYS tip. It keeps the help on your side. Also, learn the names of the bartenders & laud them to everyone & encourage others to tip as well.

If you need papers, you should quit smokin' that stuff before you go on.

Other papers you might need, in some instances, are the contracts with the establishments. I don't use them, as a rule, but some ppl feel better with them.

It's the bar's duty to pay the fees to ASCAP or BMI, so you needn't worry about that. Cover anything you want, even a rival band's original, if you can do it better than they do.

#79845 by Whitesel
Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:19 pm
Don't forget rolls of Duct tape ......but the blue painters tape works better and doesn't get all that sticky crap on your cables.

#80210 by fisherman bob
Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:49 am
Blue painters tape isn't sticky enough to hold down chords should your feet bump into them. Blue painters tape might work in certain situations but where you need something not to move it's duct tape all the way...

#80261 by gbheil
Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:19 pm
1: Cover music.
2: A venue.

Sorry, feeling kinda chinky today. :oops:

#80607 by Starfish Scott
Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:34 pm
Who actually drinks while they play?
???/??//?///???

#80692 by philbymon
Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:49 am
Depends on the venue, Cap, but I usually have a beer a set. Same with most ppl I play with, unless they're teetotallers like the last cpl drummers I worked with.

#80837 by Starfish Scott
Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:35 pm
"Scared to drink while it's going on, 'cause it gets sloppy"...>>>right here

#83798 by Kevindrummer
Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:25 am
Be sure you have a great soundman and have a good sound check at least 1 hr before the show ,
oh and doing covers , be sure that you have rehersed at least each song 100 times before performing live
its ok to have a drink or two but just limit it to that , you can party after the gig
and be sure while you in the managers office getting the money for the night , to ask for another spot on the calendar