This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

Is ska dead?

22%
78%
#58002 by RockRudie22
Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:13 am
Hey guys! I'm new to the forums and making my first post.

Anyone in a ska band or trying to put one together who has tips about collecting a horn section? We have vocals, guitar and bass but still need a drummer and horns and are having trouble finding some. How do you guys go about finding people; where are these musicians hiding?? =P

Thanks in advance!

#58030 by philbymon
Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:07 pm
Rudie - have you checked out the college, the theater, & your local music stores? (Ask them who does their repairs. Repairmen can be excellent places to get referrals, too.)

Good luck.

#58068 by repressthecadence
Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:02 pm
Also, if the music stores do lessons, talk to the teachers there too.

#58110 by RockRudie22
Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:49 am
Thanks dudes! I appreciate the advice. =)

#58127 by neanderpaul
Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:02 pm
Like Reggae and the blues ska is a one trick pony. It's energetic and entertaining for the first three songs. Then it's just old, quick. Still if it's what you love jump on it. Best of luck!

#58157 by Andragon
Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:59 pm
Nah not dead. Phil gave the best advice. Couldn't have said it better.
And don't forget the trombone :)

#58381 by HowlinJ
Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:27 am
RR22,
Must people who disregard ska as some kind of flash in the pan trend muzak probably never listened to enough of it to get into it.
Ska seems to come around in cycles since its inception in the 50's.
My favorite ska song is "Mirror In The Bathroom" by The English Beat.

check it out....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTNpaaPHENE

My own "Come On To Me" on my profile is also ska influenced.

Looking for brass players in colleges seems an excellent idea.
You might even consider high school players , if you can find some mature students, and you are playing non alcohol gigs.

good luck.
Howlin'

#58402 by gbheil
Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:52 pm
ska ?

#58553 by ted_lord
Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:07 am
its kinda like punk music but with out the anger and fused with regae and a small blend of funk too, sometimes incorporating a trumpet (which is what defines it in a lot of bands) its a weird genre, but like neaderpaul said it gets monotonous at least to me

#58597 by HowlinJ
Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:40 pm
tedlord wrote:its kinda like punk music but with out the anger and fused with regae and a small blend of funk too, sometimes incorporating a trumpet (which is what defines it in a lot of bands) its a weird genre, but like neaderpaul said it gets monotonous at least to me

Tedlord,
While it's true that Ska enjoyed a formidable resurgence in the early 80's in the New-Wave days, along with "Punk" and several other genres,It's roots go back a great deal farther. Ska "purest" would probably demand a fairly full compliment of brass, and, as Andy pointed out, that would include a trombone. (Don't laugh, there is some very cool trombone playing in Alice Cooper's "Blue Turk" from the Schools Out album, although THAT'S obviously not Ska! :)
Howlin'

#58609 by ted_lord
Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:45 pm
yah I'm not at all suprised, so its really a jazz variant?! I've heard a guy push pink floyds money out on a trombone funny as hell to listen to

#58730 by HowlinJ
Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:56 pm
Ted,

I found Ya' some old vintage Ska.
It's Tommy McCook .It will give you some idea of what the old stuff sounded like. Fore the newer 80's evolution, check out the link on my previous post on this topic, Mirror In The Bathroom, by the English Beat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvQF-uIn ... 1&index=27

You might say...WHAT THE HELL IS THIS? at first, but I gotta tell ya, Ska is a very UP kind of music, meant for boppin', and can be very infectious, so be careful that ya dont get hooked! :wink:

enjoy,
Howlin'

#58779 by Hayden King
Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:58 am
I think a more recognizable modern Ska band would be "Smashmouth"
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones would fit in there too I believe.
Nice stuff you posted Howlin...

www.myspace.com/blunderingeye
www.myspace.com/445175001
http://ezfolk.com/audio/bands/6039/
http://bandmix.com/hayden-king/
hayden_king2000 on yahoo messenger

"my dog is a bitch"

#58835 by ted_lord
Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:58 pm
smashmouth I wouldn't say is ska, thats like 60's 70's revived as some sort of pop zombie, but the might mighty bosstones is ska no doubt, and that mirror in the bathroom song is like annoying 80's music to me, but I thought that decade was a darkage for music so who am I kidding, the silver dollar song has more of a jazz feel to me but its good