This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#57639 by Drummer that could
Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:58 pm
so i'm moving down in june to Orlando Fl. and i'm bringing my Roland V-6 electric drum-set. i don't have any sound equipment and being a new college student i don't have alot of money. does anybody know of any web sites or stores in lexington Ky. or near
Orlando Fl. that i can find some speakers and a mixer? thanks :D

#57647 by Kramerguy
Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:02 pm
I purchase a good amount of gear from www.samedaymusic.com

They ship out same day, have very reasonable shipping prices, HUGE inventory, and as good a price on any item as you will find anywhere else.

I've ordered from them maybe 5x in the last year, and have been 100% satisfied every time.

#57791 by philbymon
Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:59 am
Some ppl might laugh, but Musicians Friend always delivered what they advertised for me, at a good price. You prolly won't find much top of the line stuff, but if you can't afford it does it really matter?

#57825 by tnoel
Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:18 pm
There is 2 sam ash stores in Orlando, and a Guitar center in Lakeland(40 miles west) plus numerous indie stores in the towns. Bro, check out the Pawn shops on west Colonial(hwy 50) between Winter Garden and Orlando. I've gotten some great deals on stuff there. good luck

#58518 by 14ron
Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:22 pm
I use a roland TD 10 set. I got two peavy KB100 100 watt amps for $100.00 each off Ebay. You can get by with one but I kinda like the stereo sound by slightly panning my drums from left to right

#58527 by J-HALEY
Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:08 pm
My advise to you Drummer, is to do a lot of research and don't make hastey purchaces on mix matched gear try to look into the future a little because from my experience some times biting the bullet and spending a little more now can save you a ton of heartache later on down the road, and keep in mind that there are a lot of people out there that will really take advantage of someone in your situation. Try and find a friend someone you can trust that knows a lot about p.a.'s and have them go with you to make your purchaces. Do your research and find out what will best suit your needs for now and in the future and then look on your local Craigs List and keep in mind that used gear is only worth 50% of its original value (try and find like new used gear) there is a ton of it out there if you remain patient (musical gear is like auto's they depreciate in value as soon as they become used) don't pay more than 60% of list for used gear. You can find someone that are wanting to upgrade their mixer just as an example I am getting ready to sell a Yamaha MX 12/4 mixer that is barely used in a pop up SKB hard case for $300.00 bucks it will be a great deal for the right band and this is the kind of deal I am talking about looking for (I'm not trying to sell you just an example)

If I were you I would find an unpowered mixer (these are really best) as you can always upgrade for future growth and power requirements but you can still do the same if you buy a powered front loaded mixer just get one that has a p.a. in or amp in as this jack is usually a 1/4 inch input and automatically re-routes your power to your monitor sends if you want to add more power later. Mackie makes a really awesome one and Berringer is not to bad just not as road worthy and try to get one that has on board effects so you don't have to add effect processors later on and it makes things more simple.
If you buy an unpowered mixer, Yorkville and Mackie both make some really awesome powered mains with built in processors and while they seem very expensive when you look at them new sometimes you can find a pair of used ones but either way you go this is really worth the extra money I have found that these are a little harder to find used because when people buy these things new they are so satified with them and they sound so good they tend not to re-sell them because they make everything so much simpler you just run your speaker cable from the output of your mixer straight into your speakers and you need no outboard processors because they are built into the speakers.
Also you are going to want to buy the proper gauged power cables (extension chords) and speaker cables based on your power requirements 12 gauge is a good place to start this should handle your needs just keep in mind the longer the cable the heavier gauge you are going to need. A good example if you are running a 3000 watt power amp a 12 guage power cable will work fine at a 25 foot lenght but if you go to 50 or 100 foot you will want to go with 10 gauge. I hope this info helps you good luck to you.

#58529 by philbymon
Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:19 pm
Eh...in a pinch just about any full-range amp will work. My old drummer had an electric set that we ran through my keyboard amp for awhile until he could afford his own, & it worked just fine in the smaller venues. It was a Peavey KB300. You could prolly get one of them used for less than $200, & it has plenty of power, although it won't give you that stereo effect.

#58530 by J-HALEY
Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:22 pm
We had a keyboard player that had one of those philby and I can't believe how loud those things can get.