This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#55595 by Mark Phillips
Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:07 pm
Hello anyone,
I play guitar on and off throughout the day as time allows between school runs and chores... I don't know if it adds up to one hour or three hours but I doubt it's ever more... between one and two most likely I would think.
I wouldn't call it practicing exactly as most of what I do is write stuff and refine what I have already written.
Every note I play is my stuff as I am working totally on writing songs now.

When I play I don't look cool: I wear my guitar like a schoolgirl's bra because I'm not skillful enough to play with it dangling round my knees!

At 52 now it is over half my life ago that I was in a regular gigging covers band; I played lead guitar and wore it much lower than I ever would today, but that was with a plectrum back then, where now I only play with my fingers and have come to play my electric at the same height a classical guitarist plays his guitar on his raised left knee (assuming he is right handed).
I had always assumed that people only wore their guitar right down low if they were miming on TV; then a few weeks ago a heavy metal band played at my local pub and the guitarist wore his so low he was at arms length and stooping a bit to reach the guitar... he didn't play great but he wasn't half bad considering!

I cannot imagine ever practicing scales; I seem always to write phrases of guitar that I am not yet quite up to playing... I remember someone else on this thread saying much the same... so in learning the finger patterns of the phrase I have written I don't feel great need to tramp up and down well worn scales.
There is a teaching method in Japan I believe called the Suzuki method; whole classes of kids learning the violin together but never playing scales at all... they learn tunes, and the tunes are made of scales and bits of scales of course but they don't know it because they are just playing a tune!
So I suppose I am sort of learning scales by the Suzuki method, but I just don't realise it.
I can see the point of learning scales in classical tuition, because then knowing where each of those notes is by name on the fingerboard you can look at a sheet of music and play a tune by numbers... but I can see little advantage in rock except to exercise your fingers; but doing a few chords and riffs does that anyway.

What I am doing all on my own does of course make me a law unto myself; no deadlines to learn stuff for gigs anymore, and no one can say I'm playing wrong or slower than the original etc.

I you practice for too long and too regularly, might there be a danger of it all becoming mechanical and un creative?
Cheers guys,
Mark...................

#55601 by ted_lord
Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:18 am
damn, reading about all this practice just made me realize something in the 3 days it took to empty my apartment and move back into my parents (rough for any 24 year old specially with a baby and fiance to carry round) just made me realize that I haven't gotten to really play in over 3 days...though I touched my bass yesterday for 10 minutes does that count as practice?!?

#55628 by Andragon
Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:49 am
tedlord wrote:I touched my bass yesterday for 10 minutes

Aw man. Thanks for sharing. Them geetars need some love too, eh? xD

#55661 by RhythmMan
Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:58 am
Joeseph, yeah, usually about 1 out of 5 of my newest songs are songs that I cannot play . . . yet . . .
I often hear a song in my head first, and then I do whatever I have to do to play it so others can hear it, too.
This sometimes involves extremely fast chord changes to chords that are . . . difficult to finger even slowly . . .
And frequently my new songs will often involve a chord I've never ever seen or used; and I already use several hundred chords; but I'm still learning . . . and not afraid to admit it.
I'll hear a note, and think it's, say, an F#. Nope: too high. So I try an F. Nope - too low!
HUH?! There IS no note between F and F#!
. . . turns out that I often hear "Phantom notes." And - the only way to 'play' that phantom note is with one certain special chord.
So - to even play the song at all, I need to first find the chord which contains that phantom note.
I will not stop til I find that chord.
I have one song which has 7-8 chords in the first one-second of the song (depending on how fast I play the song.) No joke, and no exageration. ("Madison Swing").
Some of my music is pretty damned hard to play, and at that speed, there is zero time to cover up a wrong guess.
A human being can only think so fast . . . you have to play the right chord out of habit.
That kind of stuff I have to practice - can't take a chance on mixing a song up with other songs which might possibly have some similar chord changes.
If a song has less than 10 chords, I might practice it only once a month.
But several of my songs have 25 - 35 chords, and I must play those songs at least once every week or 2 to keep them as flawless as I can.
My original songs give me ample opportunity to screw up.
And - I wouldn't have it any other way . . . I love learning new stuff . . .
Everything new I've learned has been to replicate what I've already heard in my head. And some of the stuff I hear is in directions I've never quite heard before.
The new directions are the directions I chose to explore. One of my practice sessions might cover 20 different styles of music . . .
. . . learning new chords, new rhythms, new styles of music; it can take a lot of practice to expand your horizons.
So - I'm not ashamed to say that, yeah, I need to practice.
. . .
#55669 by Mark Phillips
Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:22 am
Hello Manfred,
Or perhaps you are a German speaking Austrian in which case, deshalb guten tag mein freund, aber meine Deutsch ist nicht so gut... so I will keep to English!
I was just looking at your video and audio clips; I so admire your drumming as I have just a few weeks ago aquired a drumkit in the studio I am setting up, and I am trying to learn to play a rythm on it!
I can do a rythm both with my hands and my feet, but only it seems if they are doing everything together... which isn't a lot of use!
If I try to keep hands going and put in bass drum shots at odd times, then everything stops and joins with the odd times of the bass drum.

I can sort of feel what needs to start happening, and I think with time it will fall into place a bit, and I am only aiming to play basic drum tracks for my songs at the moment.

My kit here is a Traps electric kit on loan from a friend who is left handed, so I have kept it set up left handed to encourage him to come round and play drums for me more often... I have a left foot bass drum etc.

I will watch your videos again Manfred, thanks,
Aufwiederhoeren,
Mark..........................
#55670 by Mark Phillips
Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:30 am
Hi everyone,
Yes sorry, I was way off thread on drum technique... but just to say: we are frozen solid here and my new studio is coming together in my workshop that is like a fridge; so it's too cold to take my guitar out there to practice or record for another month or so, and I go out now and then through the day for a frantic five minutes on the drums trying to progress and keep warm at the same time!
There... got it back on thread!
Mark...............
In chilly England[/list]

#55696 by J-HALEY
Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:34 pm
Hey Mark, I call that, you need to get diconnected, to me its kind of like when you first start playing guitar you have to keep looking at what your left is doing (chords) and then also watch what your right picking hand is doing (assuming you play right handed) pretty soon you get to the place to where when you learn something new all you have to watch is what your left hand is doing. Same thing with drums.
A very good friend once told me I am the worst drummer he has ever seen :lol:
#55708 by Mark Phillips
Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:44 pm
Hello J Haley,
Though not the same thing, it feels like a kind of writer's-block except drummer's block.
Because I have been messing around in rock music a long time I hear and feel what should be going on with the drums... I can construct in my head a pattern of snare and toms with bass drum kicking in on certain beats, but when I sit down to do it my limbs all flail around in random spasm.

I am not saying I expect to be able to do it just because I can think it... I know a couple of fantastic air-guitarists who have a much better idea how to play soaring lead guitar than I have; but if you hang a real guitar round their necks they dry up completely.
Well I suppose I am just past that point with the drums... I can start a drum phrase with my hands, then start bringing in one bass drum kick per sequence, but more than one, or an alternating high-hat and the hands start to flail around with the sticks wacking together or missing the drums.

When I get a chance I will record one of my songs with the owner of this drum kit (Gwyn) playing drums for me; then after I will record the drum track again myself and download both versions together on my profile for comparrison.
Mind you, Gwyn only started drumming two years ago so he's not even remotely close to Manfred.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement about getting disconnected J... I will let you know when I no longer feel like the worst drummer in the world!
Mark...................

#55834 by jw123
Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:35 pm
I got a rare night home alone last night.

I retubed an amp, moved effects pedals around on my board. I havent had the Whammy Pedal running in a while. Once I got everything up and running I practiced for 5 hours. Mainly setting up tones, but practice none the less.

Thinking along practice lines, I ussually pick up the guitar every chance I get and noodle on parts that are giving me problems.

My goal is to sound like a million dollars and look effortless doing it. Now I need to watch Spinal Tap again and work on facial expressions!

"These amps go to 11"

"This song is called Lick My Love Pump"

Nigel is my hero and alter ego.

#56028 by Starfish Scott
Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:25 pm
1-2 hours a day.

If it's some tune I don't know and I need to know, I piece it together and then play it until it's correct.

Then we all play it till it's correct.

IF not correct, not going to get played.. period.

#56042 by RhythmMan
Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:09 pm
C Scott said, ' . . . IF not correct, not going to get played.. period. . . ."
Yeah, man, I'm with you there . . .

#56392 by RhythmMan
Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:30 am
Re: practice;
I just had a good practice.
It started out as a tryout - after 20 minutes it was evident he's very good.
After 1/2 hour - we were working on out 3-rd or 4th (original) song; - and these are pretty involved songs . . .
After . . . well, to make a long story short - we played and practiced and rehearsed for 6 hours straight . . .
Always nice to find a kindred spirit . . .

#56395 by gbheil
Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:10 am
Proud for ya RM. Iknow how fullfilling it can be.

Just finished two hours of playng to our recordings. I want to know my stuff blindfolded for the next two gigs.
With any luck I will repeat this every day for the next two weeks.
Or untill we settle on the actual playlist for the next two gigs we have planned.