This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#54676 by philbymon
Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:32 am
Eh...the web is rife with posers, wannabes, & forgetters...& the occasional oopsie as well. Hang in there. Use ALL of your resources & don't depend upon only one site or venue to get the job done. NETWORK - get out where the music is played & meet ppl there. Go to music stores & open mics & go see other bands & talk to as many ppl as you can, all while you check in here & other sites often. The more lures you have out there, the better your chances that someone might take you serious, or the better your chances of stumbling across someone who's as serious as you.

Best o' luck.

#54689 by Jessica M
Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:42 am
I know it can be rough finding something, but hang tight. Check with the local colleges. I have met some amazing musicians there and also most of the music instructors might have names of students to reference. Post well made, easy to read signs on bulletin boards, and if you have the ability to make them at home, make little business cards advertising your band and your need for a bass player and leave them in music books at libraries, at music stores, and my favorite...in the little sugar packet holders at cafes. Be creative on how you get the word out. Trust me...it's a lot of fun.

#54701 by AlexanderN
Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:20 am
I had that same question when I joined in here. But after a while I found one guitarist who is by far better then I. (no he is not on my demos, yet) Now we are in the studio working on original material in sweat. So this site is not totally useless, and I've met other partners in crime here.

I hang out at the studios almost all of my free time. There I found people who are in other bands but are willing to help with recording. Do you not practice at a studio where other bands are? You should. I've met a lot of people in all levels, from touring and CDing to learning, to just having fun.

Good musicians are always working, you are lucky to find one in transition - score. Until that time work your songs and record some demos (one or two) post them, show people what you are all about, what you sound like. Someone will get a hold of you. And NETWORK anywhere you can with anyone you can. That punk rocker or a death metalist may know a country bassist you need. You just never know.

#54755 by BobbyAlan
Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:02 pm
I agree with you Alex. I myself am trying to get some musicians together to get down and do original material. Have talked to alot of wannabes. I do have a drummer now. If you can believe it, he's a seasoned heavy metal drummer but doesn't care about what style it is, he just wants to play because he loves it. I say, 'cool'. Welcome to the world of Country Rock. Did you think of doubleing up on the bass? I've been a rhythm guitarist/singer most of my career, but played bass and actually enjoyed it. No offense Bass players..
Sorry if I'm rambling, but hang in there. What's meant to be, is meant to be. Focus on your music and things will all fall into place.......

#54794 by ted_lord
Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:22 am
hey man any body willing to pick up a 4 string and make it work doesn't get any of my ire, specially cuz you started as a rhythm guitarist, you already are predisposed to bass and just didn't know it till you picked one up, any way my real problem is just a total clash in styles with the area....freakin imitation hippie cover bands and metal projects that aren't gonna go anywhere....give me progressive fusion stuff...there's gotta be a market for some tool/primus/ELP type band hahaha

#54798 by HowlinJ
Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:30 am
philbymon wrote:Eh... the occasional oopsie .

DAMN, Phil!

The Occasional Oopsies...

Now THERE"S an awsome band name we didn't think of before!

See that "Experienced Bass Player Needed?
Maybe you didn't get a bassist yet, but ya got a good name for your band.Hang tough and you will probably get a bass player.
(Being from Illanoyez, what ya really need is a new governor! :twisted: )

Howlin'

#55147 by neanderpaul
Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:26 pm
HowlinJ wrote:
philbymon wrote:Eh... the occasional oopsie .

DAMN, Phil!

The Occasional Oopsies...

Now THERE"S an awsome band name we didn't think of before!

X2!!!!!

#55152 by Jon Nilsen
Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:17 pm
You should move here! You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a bass player in this town. :lol:

Seriously though. There's some good advice up there. Hang tough and good luck.

#55167 by RhythmMan
Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:25 pm
Go to open mikes and meet musicians face-to-face. And ask if they know of any bass players. Bring a a pad and pencil with you; take names and numbers.
Print up cards (or slips of paper, even) on your printer, and pass them out.
Put up an ad in every music store, laundramat, and food store within five miles.
Yep; it's a lotta work; deal with it.
Think.
In the amount of time we spend complaining, we could have designed another ad, or phoned two music stores, or called 2 music teachers . . .
#55174 by Koolin82
Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:31 pm
Experienced bassist need wrote::? I'm having trouble geting any members to answer back! If they dont want to play, then they should take their ads off, we are seriously needing a bassman in our area .these aholes dont bother to answer back? does anyone else have this problem?

Beats me :?

I got contacted the other day and even though my profiles says I'm not looking at the moment I still took 30 seconds to send him a quick reply.