This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#53536 by fisherman bob
Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:31 am
The second season of Flight of the Conchords started tonight on HBO. God's gift to comedy, especially humorous to us musicians who have been through the trials and tribulations of this music business. Absolutely loved the first season. Brett and Jemaine are outstanding musicians and gifted comedians. If you haven't done so already, check them out.

#53574 by philbymon
Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:52 pm
Just saw an ad for them last night. Looks pretty funny, bob. I'll check 'em out when I can. Thanks!

#53617 by Andragon
Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:25 pm
Yes, they are. I've seen the live DVD vids on YouTube a while ago. Probably all of em out of boredom, but they were really funny. Especially, when the extra-skinny dude brought out that Frankenstein instrument lol

#53674 by gbheil
Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:31 am
:?:

#53705 by MattFSax
Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:26 am
sans - they are two guys who sit on stage and sing. They have acoustic guitars and are absolutely hilarious, they are a comedy routine. look them up on you tube

#53777 by fisherman bob
Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:31 am
And they star in their own HBO show. They are just starting their second season. You can puchase their first complete season on DVD at the HBO Shop. Brett and Jemaine are from New Zealand and they bill themselves as the fourth most popular folk duo in New Zealnd. The premise of the show is they move to New York to launch their career and are managed by a member of the New Zealnd consulate who has never managed a band before and is utterly incompetent. The situations they get into with their band manager and crazy fans and friends are hysterical. Right now this is the very funniest (IMO) show anywhere on television. I believe Flight of the Conchords won a Grammy award for one of their CD's if I'm not mistaken. If they continue to put out such great shows they WILL be one of the biggest comedy duos EVER.

#53782 by Andragon
Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:25 am
Nothing beats the Tenacious though, Bob!

#53788 by gbheil
Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:48 am
Ok so I will check it out. I love good comedy. I just hope its not more of the same ol perverse crap that TV loves to play. Just being vulgar is not funny to me anymore. Bout had my fill of Sodom and Gamerica.
Thanks for the info dudes.

#53824 by fisherman bob
Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:36 pm
I agree with you on the current trend of comedy. It is nothing but vulgarity. The stand up comedians are about 99% profanity at this time. It's NOT funny one bit. Flight of the Conchords is throw-back comedy, very little vulgarity. There's also some good physical comedy. The music videos interspersed on the show are really funny. Hope you like it. If you like British humor (and Australian humor Crocodile Dundee) then you'll like this.

#53835 by jw123
Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:30 pm
I'll check that out.

On a comedy front I like The Cable guy, hes not as vulgar as some.

Git Er Done!

#53896 by gbheil
Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:14 am
Thanks Bob. I 'll check em out for sure now.

I like the whole group who do the redneck comedy thing.
And the ventrilaquist with the goofy puppets. Dang, whats that boys name?
He makes me laugh till I cry with that puppet routine.

#53964 by CaptnWar
Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:16 pm
everything up until the lord of the rings episode was good.... they have fun out of ideas.

BUT what they did make was great.

Fu de fa fa
I'm not crying
if that's what your into
Tape of love
just think about it
and the greatest one of all.... inner city pressure!

#54916 by philbymon
Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:27 am
I've only seen two shos, but bob, I'm seriously hooked!

Thanks so much for the heads up! These guys are hilarious. I haven't laughed so hard at my TV in years.

I really wanna learn that "Sugarlumps" song they did! OMG!

#54958 by fisherman bob
Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:24 am
Hey Philby, I assume you saw the two shows from the current second season. They were both awesome. "Sugar Lumps" was funnier than sh*t. If you have a chance, go on HBO store and purchase The Flight of the Conchords first season on DVD. There was some incredibly funny episodes. Brett and Jemaine are true comedy geniuses. I also think the other characters are incredibly funny. Their manager Murray makes me laugh my ass off. Mel as their number one fan and their friend Dave are both incredibly funny as well. If they continue going the way they've gone so far they could end up one of the greatest comedy duos ever. I'm glad you liked it. It's refreshing to have comedians who don't swear every other word. I still like Laurel & Hardy. Certain comedy is timeless. These guys have it and they're talented musically to boot. It's the first time in years I look forward to watching a TV show every week. Can't wait for the next episode. Later...

#55019 by philbymon
Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:25 pm
Yeah, I got my DVR set to record all the reruns, I guess. It comes on everyday at 6:30. I'm amazed it's only a 1/2 hour show, but they pack it with a good story.

Thanks again for telling me about them.