This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#52160 by Pinzgauer
Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:22 pm
How would I go about finding Dixieland Jazz bands in CT. Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

#52162 by Kramerguy
Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:34 pm
here, if you are willing to pay for a membership, or try craigslist.

Outside of that, try going to bars or clubs that would have bands of that genre and do some networking with the bands, or last, but not least, try going to open mic nights at local places and mixing with musicians there. you can find out what's going on locally at http://openmics.org

#52171 by Pinzgauer
Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:27 pm
thank you for your reply

#52174 by RhythmMan
Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:42 pm
There is a Jazz festival in Ct every year, - Essex, I believe.
Google it, and contact them.
You also might check out the Galvanized Jazz Band; ask them.
I don't think you'll find anything here at BM, though; this place is mostly hard rock and heavy metal.
Um, by the way, why are you asking?

#52185 by Pinzgauer
Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:29 pm
RhythmMan_BluesRockFolk wrote:.
Um, by the way, why are you asking?

I'd like to join or form a Dixieland Band.

Thanks

#52390 by BobbyAlan
Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:56 pm
Why don't you post an ad in your local music stores, newspapers, or on the web. And there's always the local musicians union......

#52393 by philbymon
Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:56 pm
Used to be a lil pizza place in Annapolis, MD called "Buzzy's", where the midis would jump the wall from the Naval Academy, & play dixie on the weekends. Man those were some GOOD TIMES! I had just turned 18, & it was legal to drink. Good fun upbeat music, it was. We used to hang out there a lot.

Good luck finding ppl who CAN play that stuff these days.

Damned fast strumming on that tenor banjo. Drummer only used a kick & snare, as I recall. Great horns, too. Wow - thanks for the memory, man!

#52395 by Hayden King
Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:57 am
well of course there are plenty of em in New Orleans if you want to consider a move there.
other than there the only place I've seen one is in Covington, Ky (a suberb of Cincinnati) the De'Felice Cafe, started and owned by the famous De'Felice, the Jazz Legend untill his death a few years back. They have a 16 piece Dixieland Jazz Band set up in tiered rows behind the bar (the traditional way).

www.myspace.com/blunderingeye
http://ezfolk.com/audio/bands/6039/
http://bandmix.com/hayden-king/
"Jamm Pudding" on yahoo messenger (wed's 8-10 pm E.S.T.)

#52636 by Pinzgauer
Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:54 pm
thanks for all the replies guys.

At this point of my life I am done with "professional" gigs and want to just play what I really like best ( Dixieland Jazz ) and mostly for fun ..... a few days a week at most.

Thanks again ........