This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#51017 by neanderpaul
Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:46 pm
Salem's Lot! :shock: :twisted: :lol:
We were 16 - 18. I was the singer. It was 1988. We did the Cult's version of "born to be wild", and a couple of the Cult's tunes. Cream's "sunshine of your love", Metallica's "fade to black" and "for whom the bell tolls" I still have cassettes. BUT I AINT COMIN" OFF NUTHIN"! :oops: :lol:

#51040 by ted_lord
Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:14 pm
a first band??!!?? I supposed to have one of those??? played with a drummer and flashy guitarist dink who used pedals to make up for genuine style and then told me you need lessons just cuz I didn't know actual notes...but us self taughts pick that up a few years into it, my buddy I've jammed with a few times kinda stabs at the stuff I know, but TOOL isn't easy to drum out, and its hard to play the guitar and bass to it with out the drums so we don't really get anywhere

#51063 by AlexanderN
Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:52 am
First band was in vocational school back in former Soviet Union. There were three of us in the band and Rock and Roll was forbidden as it was an "influence of the evil western civilization designed to destroy the masses". (Oh here we go). We were teenagers - rebels and did not care.

The vocational school had extra curriculum activities and “Vocal Instrumental” was vacant. So we moved in. We played on really bad soviet equipment, and no matter what you play it sounded like Punk Rock, the Sid Wishes style.

We were practicing at night in the cinema room of the school auditorium and no one knew or cared what we were doing. At last the administration required us to play a gig for the “Day of Russian Army” (February 22nd 1989) It was a tumultuous time in Russia.

We plaid a gig in the auditorium packed with all the vocational school kids some 600 people in all. It was grate, though the sound was horrible, but no one cared - it was Rock and Roll and it was Taboo!

Later we were disbanded and had a lot of trouble with the vacation school administration. Now I am a US citizen, and at last have the guitar of my dreams. But I miss my first band members. Where again can I find rebels like that?

#51069 by repressthecadence
Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:24 am
My first band was a Christian rock band called "Frozen by the Flame" during my early high school days. Save the drummer, we were all terrible. At the time, I had just learned to play bass (Prior to learning guitar). It was pretty bad. We gigged like twice or three times total, then with some of the same members went on to form a pop punk band. Two of those guys are still playing in that same band, but they've since changed names, and lost their two songwriters (including me), and I have no idea what they sound like now.

#51241 by Andragon
Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:21 am
A coupla years ago, at a local small to medium-sized festival, 2 of the acts didn't show up. So, me and my friends who played quite different styles were somehow talked into taking the stage.. must've been the drinks... anyways, we were a disoriented fun group for sure. We got the crowd going and I cannot remember half the night. I'm glad my ass didn't feel sore when I sobered up.. :lol:

#51250 by Gi
Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:33 pm
first band: Crotch Centric, which lasted about 3 months.

the drummer was a chick who was high on something. we werent sure what exactly, but surmised it was just her PMS medicine. who knows. her attendance at practice was sporadic and unpredicatble. not that a drummer woulda actually helped!

we did a couple very terrible ramones covers, and an original titled: "i was just a baby and they tried to kill me".

the bassist actually kicked ass, though. he was a quality musician. how he ended up in CC, ill never know.

#51253 by jw123
Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:46 pm
First Band...............................

Wow, my current drummer and I used to skateboard and BMX together. The summer of my 12th yr, all the sudden Brooks didnt want to ride bikes as much.

I went over to his house and heard this awful noise coming from his bedroom. I went in and he was playing drums and 2 guys were playing guitars doing Sweet Suzie Cue. I asked what do you need in the band cause I fell in love with this awful noise. They said we need a bass player. Hell I didnt even know what a bass was but I bought one that week from a guy named Victor Weadle, a Fender Musicmaster bass fire engine red. 2 weeks later we played for a girls 12th birthday, her and her friends and her older sister and their friends screamed louder than we were playing. I was hooked. I still love to hear women scream when I play.

One of the guitarist taught me how to play Thunderbird, Smoke on The Water, and Sweet Home Alabama, we played these songs over and over.

This band evolved into a 3 piece. One of our craziest storys was a couple of years later we were playing in our school gym. We were all into Kiss at the time, and we made up these smoke bombs in coffee cans. We made 4 big ones and lit them when we started playing. We were playing Firehouse by Kiss and be the end of the song the smoke bombs had filled the gym with smoke and the teachers evacuated the gym. They thought the gym was on fire. I never will forget the look on the firemens faces when they brought out the 4 homemade smoke bombs and tried to put them out on the sidewalk. I dont know why they didnt kick us out of school, and needless to say they never let us play for the school parties again after that show.

#51284 by gtZip
Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:32 pm
My first band was Abba.

#51347 by J-HALEY
Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:50 am
Wow! AlexanderN,

I experienced the same thing from Red Neck country good ol'e U.S.A. 1969! (with all due respect) "YOU CAN'T STOP ROCK AND ROLL"

#51371 by Gi
Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:10 pm
jw123 wrote:First Band...............................

We were playing Firehouse by Kiss and be the end of the song the smoke bombs had filled the gym with smoke and the teachers evacuated the gym. They thought the gym was on fire. I never will forget the look on the firemens faces when they brought out the 4 homemade smoke bombs and tried to put them out on the sidewalk. I dont know why they didnt kick us out of school...

keep a journal-- if you make it big and write an autobiography, stories like this will make it a great book! this is hysterical!

#51396 by AlexanderN
Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:55 pm
J-HALEY wrote:I experienced the same thing from Red Neck country good ol'e U.S.A. 1969!

Please tell us!
I'd love to know that.

#51460 by Starfish Scott
Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:34 am
My first band was on the planet Uranus. lol The evil emperor has us all chained up and enslaved. He would make us play shows for freeee and charge us for beer.
The place smelled baad, like a mix of asshole and armpit.
If we didn't play well, the Emperor would whip us. (shows big ass jagged scar on back) lol

But we sonically overthrew him.. (2 JCM 800's, no master volume on 10, coupled with Native Instruments "Guitar Rig" tm) lol

Once we flew back to earth on the backs of the moth people, Tarzan and Cheetah got married. (Cause that's the kind of age we live in 2009)
California broke off and sank into the Pacific Ocean after the big quake and we started to get involved with Arizona Beach properties.

And Ming started to play bass again, so we had to ask Lemmy to leave. (His voice sounds like gravel) lol

So now Buck and Dr. Kevorkian are back into the mix, blasting off on random heavenly bodies near you..

(was that a meteor?) lol