This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#51038 by MarcoPogo
Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:51 pm
Looking for players or discussion of rockabilly.
Not sure how this works but I can be reached at mcandclatgmaildotcom

#51039 by ted_lord
Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:59 pm
rockabilly, enh...at least its not country, but I never was one for the blues or any of that odd stuff that comes out from the necks of the woods (even though I live in the sticks myself)

#51048 by philbymon
Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:01 am
Marco - I'm totally jealous! You play upright bass & are a LEAD singer, too? Dammit all! I wish I could do all that. I'm a decent bassist, playing 4 & 5 string electric, but have one helluva time singing while I do it. I mostly sing b/u's when I play bass, & even that taxes me to the max. Never messed with fretless much except when I asked to touch someone else's axe, & it looks tough as hell. Same with the uprights.

I've been doing the ol' rockabilly style for awhile now, but it seems like it might be changing a bit since we FINALLY got a reliable guitar player. We rocked up the 'billy stuff kinda fast & hard, before. Now we're getting a better groove, I think. Can't wait for the holidays to hurry up & get over with so's I can get back to work with these guys. We might end up drifting away from it into more rock stuff, but that's just fine with me, too.

Welcome to BM. Get some musical samples up, man, & let us hear yer chops. Just remember they gotta be MP3 & have some sorta file size limit.

#51050 by fisherman bob
Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:10 am
I like rockabilly. We usually play two or three rockabilly tunes each show we do. I wouldn't want to play it all night, but it's always good to do a few.

#51086 by MarcoPogo
Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:00 am
Hey, thanks for responding.
Ya know, the trick to singing and playing is to know lyrics and basslines so well you don't have to think about either. My friends often say they are impressed that I know so many lyrics but what they DON'T know is how many times I have to listen to a song. I learn most songs drivimg to and from work. I have to love a song to sing it coz of how many reps it takes. I have a thing about players performing behind a music stand. I'd never do that.
The double bass is really a challenge. I'm not real good yet. Some times think my arm is going to fall off double slapping a fast song all the way thru. The electric upright is a piece of cake and I give myself breaks on it.

It funny, I love rockabilly but don't really like Country. Or Southern rock.
Check out a version of Ghost Riders in the Sky by Spiderbait. It is scalding hot.
mark

philbymon wrote:Marco - I'm totally jealous! You play upright bass & are a LEAD singer, too? Dammit all! I wish I could do all that. I'm a decent bassist, playing 4 & 5 string electric, but have one helluva time singing while I do it. I mostly sing b/u's when I play bass, & even that taxes me to the max. Never messed with fretless much except when I asked to touch someone else's axe, & it looks tough as hell. Same with the uprights.

I've been doing the ol' rockabilly style for awhile now, but it seems like it might be changing a bit since we FINALLY got a reliable guitar player. We rocked up the 'billy stuff kinda fast & hard, before. Now we're getting a better groove, I think. Can't wait for the holidays to hurry up & get over with so's I can get back to work with these guys. We might end up drifting away from it into more rock stuff, but that's just fine with me, too.

Welcome to BM. Get some musical samples up, man, & let us hear yer chops. Just remember they gotta be MP3 & have some sorta file size limit.