This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Chat about the latest toys and innovations.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#481 by j88ATL
Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:04 am
I am kinda new to telecasters.
Do people ever remove the cover from the neck pickups, the way les paul players do?
If so, how would this affect the sound?
#482 by LVC
Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:01 pm
Would not recommend --- Single coils are notorious in picking up ambient signals (i.e. Neon lights etc) --- which translates into noise or buzz --- taking covers off of pick-ups for the most part increases potential for unwanted noise.

Hope this helps ----

RE:

#483 by j88ATL
Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:19 pm
okay, thanks! I was wondering if I should even try it. Maybe I'll get one of those 70s style teles with the humbuckers in them. I heard those play with a really fat sound with the great look of the telecaster. I think they have the single f-hole on them too. very cool.
#484 by dashriprock57
Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:02 pm
I am also a telecaster guy. I recently upgraded my pickups with seymour duncan custom pickups, love the rich tone and better quality sustain and sound.

#485 by Recoon
Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:50 pm
I have Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders pickups in my Tele. The sound very strong through my Marshall. Very pleased.

#486 by Eeje
Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:32 pm
If you're worried about ambient noise, look into a noiseless pickup. I would HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend Kinman's. I was super skeptical myself when I bought them, but I am extremely satisfied with the noise reduction and sound quality. And if you’re looking for that humbucking sound, Kinman's are double wound, as if it were a humbucker but stacked on top of each other rather than side to side.

Still, if you’ve already bought a Tele, don’t buy another one just for humbucking pups, you can swap out electronics…
#487 by Beanie
Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:51 pm
[quote="glezzery"]Putting humbuckers on a Tele is SACRILEGE! What you end up with is not a Tele! You take a perfect unique tone and KILL IT! .....I built an awesome Bubinga tele w/gold everything and installed Kent Armstrong hot lead, a P-90 rhythm, and strat in the middle, keeping tele lead and getting funky P-90 rhythm and strat tones in one axe. That tele is AWESOME![/quote]
If modifying a Tele is sacrilege, isn't building and customizing one kinda like the same thing? At least don't call it a Tele . . .
#488 by bassplyrguy
Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:54 am
These babies are sweet I have installed Bass, Strat, and Tele pickups from these guys...WOW !

#489 by RMORIALLI
Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:59 pm
Your bridge pickup is probably potted with wax, and taking the cover off will make it very noisy.....better off leaving it alone, or replacing it with a hotter Tele pickup. I would definitely put a humbucker in the middle position though...Teles sound great in that position, and you still keep your Tele sound in the lead position. Many pros do that.
#4867 by PBRAD729
Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:44 am
I definately would not take off the cover. Tele-'s are great, they are thee 1st, guitar designed strung through the body, no floating tailpiece, which is the no1 reason they sustain, like no other