This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#3964 by Tessa
Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:15 am
So, here's another agony of defeat. I was in a band back in the early 90's and for the most part, we did our own bookings. Once in a while, we would have this agent book us at some bars at the shore. This one bar we were working at, not once, but TWICE. we showed up to, started unloading, and here comes band # 2 ! Talk about a battle of the bands! And, the killer is that even though two bands show up for the same gig, and obviously, one will play and get paid and one goes weeeweeeweee all the way home with nothing, the agent still makes his money and never leaves the comfort of his couch! It's just an occupational hazard I guess! Maybe, double booking is his way of making sure he gets paid-LOL! Anyway, how do I get my profile picture to come up next to my forum reply. I hope I'm not embarrassing myself asking that question. But, we are talking about those kind of moments, so what the hell!

#3968 by Barry4330
Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:33 am
Back in the early 80's I was playing bass for the Brian Miles Band in central NY. We were doing a wedding on a Saturday afternoon. All of us were a bit dogged from a gig the previous night and I had a major sore throat. I brought along one of those honey bear plastic containers with a custom mixture of honey and lemon juice. I had used this method several times in the past and it was real handy to take a hit off it in between songs.

At some point early in the gig -- I grabbed the 'honey bear' and held it up above and away from my mouth and squeezed. Nothing. Must be clogged. Running out of time -- I squeezed a little harder -- a little harder yet -- and BOOM! In an instant - I was covered with honey and lemon from upper lip to toes! This sticky, gooey mixture ran down to my bass guitar and all over my hands. I just stood there in disblief for what seemed like an eternity. I was totally humiliated!

The band had to make an excuse to the crowd to take a short break while I cleaned myself and my bass up and changed my shirt. The guys in the band completely lost it and started laughing uncontrollably.

Even as we started back up about 20 minutes later -- we all had a hard time keeping straight faces. It is a story that gets bigger and better each time the guys in the band tell it. And they do love repeating it!

#3972 by Auburn Diva
Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:27 pm
Now THAT'S FUNNY!!!!

#4001 by Barry4330
Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:42 am
OUCH!! Now that's going to any lengths to finish the job!

You didn't mention whether or not you had anything to drink after the mishap. But I'm guessing, if you did, it wasn't "screwdrivers".
#4043 by pignose22
Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:19 am
Try tis one. Finally got this great gig we had been trying to get for a year and I am the lead guitarist. If we impressed them, they said we were in like flint. Well, starting the second set, I all of a sudden felt a gut wrenching pain in my back. It slowly got worse and worse. It got so bad, i had to sit to try and finish. Finally it got so bad I couldn't even play anymore. But by luck a good friend of mine who new most of our songs offered to try and finish out for me. I had to go to the emergency room. I was passing a kidney stone. That was a hard one. Keep rocking. Skeeter.

#4337 by stixman46
Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:16 am
Here's one. I was in a band in Summerville, S.C. (Charleston) in the early 80's. We had just finished a break and I noticed the first couple of songs in the next set, the bass player, Steve, was kind of antsy. After only about 3 songs in the set, he goes up to the mic and says, "We're going to have to take another short break due to technical difficulties." Then he bolts off the stage and out the door. So I go up to his wife who ran the lights and asked her what the heck was going on. She says, "I think Steve just s**t his pants. Luckily he didn't live too far from the place we were playing, so he went home to change. It was a long time before we ever let him live that one down. Sadly, Steve died of lukemia about 15 years ago.