This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Drums and Accessories.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#34632 by Forpetessake
Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:17 pm
Tommy330 wrote:
No1drummer19 wrote:I Play on V-Drums all the time and would never go back to acoustic drums. What do you mean they have a long way to go, V-drums are ten times better than acoustic drums. If you know how to use them you would agree. I have a TD-20 and TD-10 modules that powers my set, I have individual outs for each group on my drums like toms, snare, bass drum, crash, Hi Hat, and ride. So you use up about the same amount of channels as an acoustic set. But I have control over them; I can change to a different sounding set in a hart beat. Or if I’m playing a song that requires heavy toms I can turn them up. It’s amazing what you can do with them. Acoustic drums you just play, Not V-Drums their in a league all their own!!! Check out my profile and see and hear No1drummer19

That must be why I see absolutely no touring drummer using electric drums. If they were 10 times better then the industry standard would be V-drums.

Check this out;

http://www.roland.com/V-Drums/artists/index.html

#34634 by Senior Jalapeno
Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:42 pm
If It's good enuff for El-Pulpo ' and Neil
Well.... It's gotta be good enuff for me !!

El' Peno'

#34648 by Forpetessake
Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:52 pm
Si Senor. 8)

#35648 by JayNizzo
Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:24 am
The Roland Td-20 The Flagship Of All Electronic drums. I have a Sonor Signature Set which I personally believe is one of the best sounding Acoustic kits ever made. But... the versatility and sound quality I get from these v-drums which play 10 times easier than a acoustic kit is insurpassable. If you were standing out side my drum room and I jumped on the td-20 and then jumped on the signature's you would not be able to tell which is which. Its like have 100 different drum sets in 1 room you could never do that with any acoustic kit. Just ask Neil Pert or Omar Hakim They will tell ya what they think is the best electronic kit in the world which has come leaps and bounds since the first electronic Kits

Happy Rockin------->>>> Jay Nizzo
#35869 by zendrumrob
Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:23 am
All this discussion about which is better is quite enjoyable.... I got tired of lugging around my Tama Octaplus on tour back in the 70's... I now play a Zendrum... a little larger than a guitar... I 've played on 3 piece sets you couldn't give away in blues clubs, and people were goin nuts.... those who live on there talk of equipment basically do so to cover there lack of skills... pull out sticks and play some flam ratamacues on a pillow... then talk to me about head response and volume... some of the best books in were written on paper, not a 3000 dollar computer... if I give you the best paints and brushes in the world are you going to paint a Van Gogh... obviously not,,, a good percussionist could play on a garbage can and make it sound better than a rookie playing a $4000 maple set (p.s. my Zendrum is carved out of a solid piece of maple...old schoool meets new)......... rant over Rob

#39884 by Lancelvania
Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:15 pm
New to the forum.
Yup have Vdrums love em but love VSTs better. Even brave enough to run them live. I run my VSTs though Drum From Hell on my laptop and kicks, loops, etc through my Roland SPD.
FOH sounds awesome.

#42113 by Bambamvdrumr
Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:42 pm
Actually, many very well known acts tour using many different variations of Roland V-Drum Kits. I own a full studio of Roland gear, including the TD-10, SPD-20, BOTH the 10 and 15 handsonic units, as well as the XV-88 synthesizer keyboard, 4 hard disc recorders, plus a few other Roland toys, along with my Acoustic Stage Kit. I like to look upon electronic drums the way you would any other instrument that has been made acoustically and then electronically. For instance, you have an acoustic guitar, and you have an electric guitar. Just like we have acoustic drums, and electronic drums.They both have their place and time when they are best applied. I too, have a "Zendrum" which allows me to utilize every sound module in my vast arsenal of electronic systems (Roland or otherwise) to play a truly unique instrument without having to hide behind a kit. Like many truly amazing looking drum kits, its a real "eye-catcher", and always amazes the crowd.

Bambamvdrumr

#45637 by Harley Walker
Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:12 pm
Electronic better than wood..? WOW! That is a BIG debate! Depends on what you're into... I have had both and they both serve a purpose. But for live playing....it is wood everytime!! But when it comes to electronic,, V-Drums are the best on the market for "feel" and "Dynamics" for sure!!
For me,, I want to hear the wood. And I can tell the difference.
In the studio I love the V's! Can change my snare sound from track to track. Add a cowbell,, without hooking one up! Add a Conga, without taking up more space! Whatever you're heart desires.....and they sound good!!! But again,, when playing live,, I need my Birch Customs and my Maple snare! But that's just me... Peace
HW

#53812 by misterzero
Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:58 am
I love my Roland TD-6. It's ablast to play and a lot of fun exploring the functions. I bought it about 2 years ago and play it all the time. It's great that I can play at midnight and it doesn't wake the wife and kids. Thats the only reason I play them...they are quiet. As a I said, I really love them, but nothing compares to the real thing. Acoustic sets are the way to go, by a mile. V-drums are nice and they have their place. But the 'feel' isn't there. The subtle inexactness that exist in acoustics is missing. And I don't think the bunce is aas good , unless you're playing on the TD-20 drums. Whatever model toms comes with the TD-20 are better than what I have, and appear close to acoustice. So they got the toms and snare close.

Cymbals, and more importantly, hi-hats, are the one obstacle that V-drums have yet to hurdle. This is their Achille's heel. I cannot get a decent bounce or feel from the V-drum hats. The cymbals from acoustics cannot be digitized by a computer.

Just my two cents.

#67604 by Chippy
Sun May 17, 2009 5:13 pm
Having thought about this a lot of late and since I'm recording I think for me at least Electronic (Whatever brand) are the way to go given my situation at the moment.

I love the real sound and if I ever get a place where I can actually play the damned things then I will. But for now I'll have to start saving every penny to buy something akin to what I used to have as regards a setup.

I'm one of those people that all bands hate. I like a lot of drums (sounds) around me. Most of what I've seen only carry a six piece so far. I don't know that much about them to be honest.
#67629 by RGMixProject
Sun May 17, 2009 7:02 pm
wild_eyed_drummer wrote:I just went to an audition last night and played on a roland v-drum kit for the first time. I was pleasantly surprised. They are a decent set up with good voices and response. They still have a ways to go comapred to acoustic drums but were still quite impressive for electronic drums. I've never had much faith in electronic drums but these are not that bad. They definitely take a little getting used to in regards of stick response on the pad as it still feels like a practice pad. The snare is different though with it's screen type surface which provides a little more lifelike response. They're a great jamming kit for people with less room to set up a kit. The cymbals were dissapointing but then again I never really got to explore all the options within the program.

I just wanted to hear a bit more feedback from other drummers and their opinions of v-drums. Especially forom someone who plays them on a regular basis. I think they're OK but still have a lot of making up to do to get to the sound of good acoustic drums. I personally play on a Mapex saturn series kit and don't think I'll be joining the electronis ranks full time anytime soon.

I like both acoustic and electronic as equials. Just like acoustic guitar and electric guitar.

90% of the time I mix and match the drums.

Snare and cym acoustic, toms and double bass triggered.

Some people like beer, some people like vodka, some people like both.

I hang with the BOTH crowd.

#68765 by Chippy
Thu May 28, 2009 5:36 pm
Hi RGM.

Yes I do agree with you. I was more pointing towards the total cost of having two set-ups as opposed to having something that I could use in both arena's for now.

What would you suggest as an Electronic kit please?

Cheers.

Chippy

#68787 by RGMixProject
Thu May 28, 2009 8:05 pm
Chippy wrote:Hi RGM.

Yes I do agree with you. I was more pointing towards the total cost of having two set-ups as opposed to having something that I could use in both arena's for now.

Cheers.

Chippy

The Roland TD-20S is the only way to go today. NO! compromise, Unless you started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

#68799 by Chippy
Thu May 28, 2009 9:40 pm
Nothing sums me up quite nicely.
Did you see that post on those drummers in the other thread?

Awesome stuff. Just a mic I believe?
Drmmers don't get enough credit.

At all.

Thanks for the advice.

Chippy.

RGMixProject wrote:
Chippy wrote:Hi RGM.

Cheers.

Chippy

The Roland TD-20S is the only way to go today. NO! compromise, Unless you started out with nothing and still have most of it left.