This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#38732 by jw123
Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:17 pm
Ive been busy getting our new myspace account going. This is for my band Aint Yo Mama, heres the link

http://www.myspace.com/aintyomama1

If you are a male musician dont bother asking for a friend add, we are only taking the best looking women at this point, and its going pretty good. If you are a female musician and your myspace profile shots look great then we will add you.

I hope everyone is practicing or playing a lot these days and not just sitting on their ass's waiting for some producer to make you rich and famous.

Anyway get out there and get rocking!

#38734 by Kramerguy
Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:37 pm
LOLZ

I read the first line, clicked on the link, chose "add friend" came back and then read this line:
If you are a male musician dont bother asking for a friend add, we are only taking the best looking women at this point

Sexist! :evil:

#38735 by FastFret
Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:04 pm
The best looking women?? :lol:

Thats really gay dude, but whatever... have fun with your myspace venture..

PS.. Couple of those "best looking" women look like they might have adams apples... Hope that isn't your wife/girlfriend I'm pointing out lolz. :twisted:

#38748 by RhythmMan
Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:40 pm
Kramerguy, Yeah, me too!
I opened up his myspace address in another tab - then when I continued reading his post here and saw that he didn't want us for friends, - gee, that's a slap in the face, eh?
:)
So I went back and closed his MySpace page without looking at it.
:)

#38752 by fisherman bob
Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:34 pm
What if an ugly woman can play and/or sing awesome? Would that make them more attractive? Would you allow them as friends? How about somebody who looked like Mama Cass or Janis Joplin? They could sing for me anytime, how about you? It's okay only allowing women as friends, I have no problem with that. What is attractive enough? How does someone decide if they're attractive enough to be allowed as friends? You should list height and/ or weight limitations, perhaps limit the number of piercings and/or tattoos. Also don't allow them if they have significant acne problems. I wouldn't allow any balding women. Also if they are bow-legged they're not getting in. No dwarfs or midgets. Amazons are okay, I like tall women. Missing an arm or leg, no. Quadraplegics? No. Sorry. You're not getting in. How do you know if someone is a sexy transexual, or what if they're openly transexual and very sexy. Do they get in? Later...

#38755 by FastFret
Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:39 pm
I think it's really insulting..

We have a bunch of hotties for friends.. they even come to shows :shock:

But they sure aren't on our top friends, they don't even make the first page..

Then again, we get big shows and it may be a slap in the face to the promoters if we didn't add them because they were a fat balding men or something huh?

Maybe you are just homophobic and think that if you add guys people may think you are ghey... ?? :roll:

I still think that's an adams apple I see... :lol:

#38768 by jw123
Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:19 am
You guys can laugh and be insulted all you want, weve had close to 200 plays, added 100 friends in 2 days. If you are going to use the internet, you need a plan and we have one in place. Two of the hotties on there have husbands who are booking agents and contacted me about some really good paying gigs. So while you guys are bitch slapping each other around on here I'll be playing somewhere with some good looking women screaming in my face. So now who do you think the homo is.

All you guys need to lighten up, you need to make some kind of plan and carry thru with it if you want to do anything with music these days.

Im out of here Ive got to go learn some songs note for note, HA HA.

#38808 by chaos theory
Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:38 am
ill accept any friends request.and by the way dude why dont you just make your top friends woman wow

http://www.myspace.com/chaoscom <<<< click here
if you like aerosmith you"ll like us
our singer sounds like everlast
thanks

#38811 by jw123
Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:45 pm
Chaos Theory thanks for the advice I will use that even thou I know you said it in sarcasm. (I dont think I spelled that right)
#38813 by jw123
Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:15 pm
I guess since everyone else on here is ranting I'll join the party.

Lately whenever I post up something Im doing musically it seems like its met with negativity. I know that I can be an asshole and sarcastic, but ussually its said cause I care about the other person.

I came to bandmix, a year or so ago. Like most of you looking for a musician or two to from a band. I did what everyone did tryed to make contact, and most never returned the contact. A couple I did get with were not what they advertised, in fact I wondered if it was the same person.

I have made one valuable contact thru here a bass player who is cool as anyone Ive ever met, and organized a band called Strange Hombre that I am a part time member of. This band consists of drums, bass, 2 gtrs, female vocal/keys,male vocal/harp, its a lot of people but man we can cover so much music with this lineup its unbelievabl. So Rich if you read this, Thanks for finding me here.

Te other thing about bandmix was finding other people trying to get something going and reading about funny things that have happened to others and things not to do.

Ive shared something about the marketing of my band Aint Yo Mama, that seems to have pissed off some of you for some reason. But u know in the end, I dont guess it really matters cause other than a screen name I will probably never meet you and you will probably never buy any products of my band or even support my band for that matter.

So why am I on this soapbox, cause I think in life you should give something back to other folks. And that what Ive been doing on here the past few months. People say I cant get in touch with other musicians or they sign up for the site and in 10 minutes are complaining that the site sux cause noone is getting in touch. Well Rich the bass player I mentioned did get in touch after I contacted him and said he was involved with a project last fall but if something happens he would be in touch. This started last fall, we finally met in June and formed the Strange Hombre band, my point is that you have to make and keep contacts and over time the quality ones will come back to you. Treat people like you want to be treated and life will go much smoother. I remember one guy on here who post some got in touch with me about playing, I said what do you want to do, he says I dont know, duh what are we talking about. Tell me your musical plans and I'll tell you.

And for all the people saying post some audio. The best people Ive met on here dont have anything posted, this is simply a place to initiate contact. Im sure a lot of quality musicians have come to this site and taken off because everone treat them like sh**.

My deal these day is to get the name of my band Aint Yo Mama to wider circle of people.

See the logo what comes to mind when you look at that logo?

The origianl idea was a good looking women and when you saw her you knew she aint your momma. It started as a joke but it became a brand.

Why do I bring this up? If you are making a name for a band make something that you can live with for a while. AYM has been an active name in my local area since 1988. I can go into clubs in my area looking for gigs and the owners if theyve been in the business for a while know who I am. So chose your name carefull and make sure its catchy in some way, I am bragging about our name cause it is catchy and works. I have sold t-shirts to people who have never heard of our band, just because they think it looks cool. And I love to see goodlooking women wearing our shirt, even when I can see thier adams apple.

If you are involved in music, get out there and get in involved. The only thing you can do behind the computer is the 2 Bs, Blog and Bitch. At least thats all I can figure out to do, and remember nobody likes a bitch.

Get involved with local music. Last week I volunteered for a Girls Rock Camp. I taught beginner bass and had the time of my life. I helped 2 little bands get their acts together for a showcase that was recorded for a DVD last sat night. The girls parents all came up and thanked me for helping thier daughter look good on stage and believe me no hype my 2 groups were the hottest live acts there. So what did I get, uh I got a t-shirt, a free lunch each day, a lot of Redbulls(Thanks RedBull for supplying all those drinks, I couldnt have kept the energy level up with out you). But I also got invited to Ardent Studios in Memphis(Smashing Pumpkins were there the week before tracking on an old analog tape machine for whoever cares) to sit on the mixing of the audio for the showcase DVD. I met a couple of cool local producers and engineers who gave me their personal cards and phone numbers and said call them for anything I need, and believe me I will. I also made a lot of industry contacts that I will use over time to publisize my band.

When I put on here that I was teaching at this school, a lot of people said thats sexist???????????? Wake up folks dont shut doors in front of you before you even step inside and look whats there.

I guess what Im trying to emphasize with all this is that life is what you make it. If your musical life is filled with negativity and slamming folks it cant be much fun. Music is about joy, creativity and entertainment, TRY TO EMBRACE IT AS SUCH.

Alright I feel much better and have to get to a bank meeting so go ahead and slam me if you want. But hopefully there is a musician on here that will see this post and get one or two ideas on how to get a little further down the road, and if I helped for me that is priceless.

#38818 by Kramerguy
Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:33 pm
jw123 wrote:You guys can laugh and be insulted all you want, weve had close to 200 plays, added 100 friends in 2 days. If you are going to use the internet, you need a plan and we have one in place. Two of the hotties on there have husbands who are booking agents and contacted me about some really good paying gigs. So while you guys are bitch slapping each other around on here I'll be playing somewhere with some good looking women screaming in my face. So now who do you think the homo is.

All you guys need to lighten up, you need to make some kind of plan and carry thru with it if you want to do anything with music these days.

Im out of here Ive got to go learn some songs note for note, HA HA.

LOL we've been JW Pwned.

And JW, I don't disagree with that philosophy. I used to manage a video game store, and profits shot up 300% when I hired a "kelly bundy" to work the front register.

When we do shows and go to sell merch - I'm doing the same damn thing

Sex sells.

#38824 by FastFret
Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:22 pm
I think your plan of only accepting women friends on myspace is headed for failure :) Just my opinion.. and you know what they say about those....

The more friends the more exposure. Why limit yourself... Why not add guys and just keep the women your top friends if thats all you want people to see... HELLO!!

I don't really care, I don't think there's a big market for cover bands on myspace tbh.

I don't really mean to come off like a prick about it, but I really think you should look at your plan a little more closely.

#38826 by jw123
Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:39 pm
Fast Fret I respect everything you are saying. We just started it 2 days ago and have had a huge response. Basically we are trying to get a base group of "Hot Mamas" in our area. If you look at where they live geographically they are within 150 miles of our home base, there are 237 potential music clubs for us to play in that area. If they go out this weekend to the local club, they will tell their friends hey I found this hot new band, or at least I think they will. Then someone will mention us to the club owner, call me an idiot but guys follow girls. The best time to hunt a deer is when the does are in heat and the buck is in the rut. If we can get a following of females the males will follow. Once we get a huge base of locals from our area we will loosen up the friend adds to include the venues that allow us to play or where we want to play.

I studied marketing in college and worked for an ad agency at one time, and bit of exclusiveness should help. Im not trying to be a national act, just local. Ive been in touch with some booking agents that are kind of wanting to see what we can do as far as a fan base over the next year.

I simply share all this here to give people ideas, and I also pick up ideas like yours and for that I say thanks. Good Luck with your project any other advice please give it Im all ears, as long as its constructive.

I need some ideas for cheap promotional items that can be sold for 3-8 dollars, we have a slug of t-shirts and stickers to sell. This weekend we are playing for one of those ultimate fighter competitions, we play 30 minutes from 7-8 and then we will sit there and try to sell merchandise all night, we alos have a couple of gigs to promote in that area. Just try to think outside the box.

#38827 by jw123
Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:44 pm
Fast Fret all the local cover bands in my area have very actice myspace accts, Ive been studing this for monthes. We are officailly a cover band, but we have about 10 origianals ready to record, of those there are 4 that I think are pretty damn good. So within a few monthes I will have a CD to sell so this is a little more than your neighbor hood bar cover band. My bandmates are the best set of musicians Ive ever played with in my life, quite simply they kick ass! Live I would take on any band and for a general audience my guys will smoke anyone Ive seen.

We have a photographer coming this weekend to take some live shots so I should have a couple to post here. We are going to stack up all the amps we have and borrow and make it look like a arena act. Should look cool and be fun!