This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#37493 by Marc Z
Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:53 am
You could go to Lollapalooza this weekend in Chicago…for about $80……or…

You could catch what just might be your next best bet (for prolly about $3 bux)

____W H A T ‘ S____T H A T ?____

( a__R a d i o h e a d___P r o j e c t )

Performing their 1st gig, Thursday Sept. 4th at The Terminal Bar, 409 E. Hennepin Ave, NE Mpls.

More info (plus special surprises!) will be announced via newsletter, which you can subscribe to here: http://web.mac.com/myster.z

#37494 by Kramerguy
Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:10 am
clearly the subject matter doesn't equal the headline.

using radiohead to get people to look at your posting, to promote your own gig, or newsletter, or blog... I'm not even sure what you are posting.. but the obvious deception tells me not to click on any links.

#37496 by Marc Z
Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:33 pm
Kramerguy wrote:clearly the subject matter doesn't equal the headline.

Clearly how, Karmerguy?

"Clearly," a bug has crawled up somewhere it shouldn't have.

See, it's like this: you have a choice! (Stick with me here, it gets easier...) You could see Radiohead in Chicago at Lollapalooza, or you could settle for (and spend much less money on) what is being refered to (both confidently & meekly [which, yes, I suppose could be confusing...to some]) as "your next best bet" by seeing "What's That? (a Radiohead Project)" instead!

Now, see how simple, easy, uncomplicated and exceptionally non-deceptive that is?

<ahem> Clearly, nothing is being billed as "equal" to Radiohead here; that's all in your (radio) head, Kramerguy. And as for your 'clarity', until you've actually heard "What's That? (a Radiohead Project)", you can't really say how equal (or un) to Radiohead they might be, can you? (Well, apparently you can...if you're accustomed to making assumptions and stating your opinions as if they were facts [which can significantly damage your relationships, dude, so best try to stay away from that stuff for a while]).

Kramerguy wrote:Using radiohead to get people to look at your posting, to promote your own gig, or newsletter, or blog... I'm not even sure what you are posting..

Still confused? Re-read the above paragraph 5 times. And breathe. Deeply.

I spoze you do have a point that they're "using" Radiohead's name. However, it is only being "used" in the same way that any other "tribute band" might do - as a point of reference (and yes, admittedly, also to get your attention...is this a grievous sin, O'Father Kramerguy?)

Kramerguy wrote:but the obvious deception tells me not to click on any links.

Kramerguy, have you ever heard the story of the "blind men and the elephant"? You might want to look it up before continuing to state what is "obvious" to you as being a point of fact to the rest of the world. It makes you look grotesquely self-important. :)

Meanwhile <pheew> I am hopeful that what you see as "obvious deception" will most likely appear to many other much-more-easy-going types as merely an advertisement for band with a gig.

Simple, easy, uncomplicated and utterly non-deceptive.

Say...you're not a musician with a day job in polygraphy by chance, are you??

#37504 by Kramerguy
Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:35 pm
are you serving up juice and cookies at your next sermon?

Seriously....

The thread is titled "would you like to see radiohead in concert??" the post has nothing to do with seeing radiohead in concert.

you spent an awful lot of time defending yourself to me, I only typed 2 sentences and indicated I wouldn't click that link because your thread title is deceptive. why so much effort in defense? You don't need to answer that, I really don't care.

Good luck with your gig.

#37505 by jw123
Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:40 pm
Thats kinda like me promoting a Zep reunion show and then referring people to come see my band play Zep music.

As far as Radiohead I wouldnt give a dollar to see the real group much less a copy band. I like that song Creap but past that they lost me. I dont understand the hype over this band.

#37542 by Marc Z
Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:42 am
FastFret wrote: a Radiohead tribute band??

We're desperately hoping (and trying hard) to avoid calling it that. Technically, we are a "reverence band," but I'm pretty sure that only lawyers use that term. We are not aiming to sound exactly like RH, we certainly don't look like them, and we also do many of our own arrangements, with plenty of room for improvisation.

FastFret wrote: I thought Radiohead was a one hit wonder.... Creep... yeah thats a good song.

We've been rehearsing for about 7 months and haven't even learned "Creep" yet; we have 18 other songs in our current repertoire. We made a conscious decision to learn "Creep" last, and work on the hardest material first; Kid A, OK Comp, Amnesiac & In Rainbows stuff mainly, plus a couple b-sides.

FastFret wrote: How in gods name did you find a group of musicians all willing to cover Radiohead songs???

Surprisingly (maybe), I located everyone through the minneapolis musicians section of Craigslist! Had to weed through very many who just didn't make it, but finally got extremely lucky (I think) in finding the 6 others who did make the cut (we're a 7-piece group). It took about 6 months and a lot of persistence & patience.

FastFret wrote:: Good luck with the gigs bro.

Thanks very much for the good wishes! We're having a blast!!!

#37544 by gbheil
Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:51 am
Was very misleading. And did (to me anyways) smell of deception. Glad you cleared that up. Although you could have done it with a little of that humility you talked about. But have fun, and good luck with the gig.

#37546 by Marc Z
Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:02 am
sanshouheil wrote:Was very misleading. And did (to me anyways) smell of deception. Glad you cleared that up. Although you could have done it with a little of that humility you talked about. But have fun, and good luck with the gig.

This was on my mind all day, and I decided to believe that you (and others) are utterly correct.

All advertising is deceptive in one way or another; it's the nature of advertising, maybe.

Massive apologies to all for the lack of humility, and thanks for the best wishes (and tolerance).

#37591 by gbheil
Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:06 am
No prob MZ. We alternate between helping each other out and kicking each others asses. Was your turn I guess. Welcome to the board. 8)

#37625 by Andragon
Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:47 am
Well, I'd disagree on one-hit wonder. They had a lot of success with a bunch of their albums. I don't like their music, but I will say that it takes a different approach. And that I appreciate.

Back to topic, the title is misleading (as Kramer suggested). But isn't that what everyone does to capture your attention? Anyways, you were f-ing rude, Z. Shape up that attitude of yours.

#37636 by Marc Z
Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:17 am
Andragon wrote:Back to topic, the title is misleading (as Kramer suggested). But isn't that what everyone does to capture your attention? Anyways, you were f-ing rude, Z. Shape up that attitude of yours.

You are f-ing right, Andragon.

Next time I want to post something, I'll be sure and check with you, Kramerguy (my buddy from the get-go), and sanshouheil ahead of time so you can all help me figure out how to say what what I want in a way that doesn't offend your eyes - or (God forbid) come across as misleading, deceptive, or rude.

(This especially applies when advertising for a gig (!) because I certainly wouldn't want to waste 10 seconds of anyone's oh-so-precious time by making them (yes, it was my fault, I admit it) click on a something only to discover IT WASN'T WHAT THEY THOUGHT IT WOULD BE! Wow man, yeah. That's harsh. I mean, no one should stand for that. In Kramerguy's world (and others'), everything should live up to your every expectation, see? Otherwise it's totally the other persons fault! Yeah. Exactly. And then, you have to blame everyone else for YOUR OWN feelings! And damn, that's a real bummer too, dude.)

So, yes - "back to topic" - is there anything else you guys would like me to do to make it all exactly the way you'd like it to be around here? I'm all ears. I was hoping you might share some of your guidance and wisdom on manners, etiquette, advertising, wording, attitude, etc. You're all so helpful and thorough in these areas). <ahem>

The default topic around here seems to become "what we are offended by" and "what others should do so we won't be offended anymore." QUESTION: Do you also tell everyone else in your "real" lives how they should adjust their attitudes and behaviors to suit your petty desires, too? You'll make terrific band leaders, so best of luck with that. <wretch>

This all feels a little too controlling for my tastes.

Happy living, all. I'm outta here.

#37639 by Marc Z
Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:53 am
Kramerguy wrote:are you serving up juice and cookies at your next sermon?

Someone must've asked you that once or twice before.

Kramerguy wrote:Seriously....

The thread is titled "would you like to see radiohead in concert??" the post has nothing to do with seeing radiohead in concert.

The very first line of my ad (if you can read) is this:

"You could go to Lollapalooza this weekend in Chicago…for about $80……or…"

That, Kramerguy, is not "nothing to do with seeing Radiohead in concert." In fact, it is everything to do with seeing Radiohead in concert.

How rude of you to use so many absolutes in your writing without being more thorough in your reading. And then, you accuse me of sounding preachy?

My sermon has milk and cookies, btw.

Seen more than enuff, way-outta here.
mz

#37668 by Andragon
Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:42 pm
haha.. got a good chuckle out of this. Cool, man. Good luck with your tributing dreams.