This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#36881 by philbymon
Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:05 am
A local bar has had a weekly "Torch & Twang," as they call it, for years. It's all women performers. I've never gone, but I heard it's pretty much degenerated into some sort of event where women go to pick each other up, as it were.

Dunno why I brought that up, or what it could possibly have to do with this thread...I guess it's way past my bedtime.

Good night!

#36900 by Black57
Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:39 pm
mistermikev wrote:
Black57 wrote:If it were a major goal of mine to be in an all girl band

If you are a guy I am going to be soooooooo creeped out right now.

Ugh, no I am a girl.

#36901 by gbheil
Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:41 pm
Yo Mrs Mary. It's sooo easy to post a photo of yourself. you can even display your aliens! Make's the ol bandmix site so much more personal. :D

#37152 by Black57
Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:06 am
sanshouheil wrote:Yo Mrs Mary. It's sooo easy to post a photo of yourself. you can even display your aliens! Make's the ol bandmix site so much more personal. :D

How do you do it??? How do you post music here guys. I am sure my son can do it. He has his own Myspace and is always posting goofy pictures of himself.

#37170 by mistermikev
Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:52 pm
Black57 wrote:
mistermikev wrote:
Black57 wrote:If it were a major goal of mine to be in an all girl band

If you are a guy I am going to be soooooooo creeped out right now.

Ugh, no I am a girl.

whew.

#37180 by The Hunter
Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:33 am
Because girls bitch too much.

#37191 by Andragon
Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:22 am
Black57 wrote:How do you post music here guys?

Well, log into your account. One of five options on your left is "Manage Audio/Video." There, you'll find an "Upload file" button. Remember that the files must be in mp3 format to appear in the profile player.

#37199 by Rick Stringfellow
Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:03 am
I had space enough to upload only one song. That's not cool.

By the way - not that it matters to anyone - I think all the chauvinistic remarks about girl bands are in poor taste.

#37214 by philbymon
Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:51 am
Me, too, Rick.

Girls rock...esp when they're holding babies!

I like them on so many levels.

#37246 by Alter-Nation 1
Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:11 pm
i dont think it has anything to do with finding the woman who wanna play an instrument or just "wanna dance " or "hire a stripper for show"... i sing in a band with 4 men but i should call them children.. its not the gender.. its the people who play that are flighty. i have never in my years EVER found a musician that who was not a flake or a horny dog. it sounds to me that she is looking for someone to play with and her preferaces are women.. so fellas get over yourselves, its not always about you or your hormones. its about music.. or have you forgot about that. :P :P

#37314 by philbymon
Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:32 pm
All kidding aside, I disagree, A-N. If it were only about the music, then the search would be for good musicians, wouldn't it, rather than female musicians?

Perhaps that's why I tease so much.

I find it a bit gimmicky when you try to define your band as "all-girl," "all-man," "all-gay or lesbian," or even "all-Christian." It seems to put distractions & limits on what the music is all about.

I mean, it's fine if it happens naturally, like 4 friends getting together & forming a band that happens to be all-whatever, but when a person tries to set it up from the get-go within these types of limits, & advertises for one type of person, their choices often go out the window. They'll often end up settling for substandard musicianship to keep everything within the parameters of sex or religion or politics or whatever.

There are plenty of us out here who aren't just horn-dogs or flakes or drunks or druggies. Imho, WE're the ppl that should be getting the work, not someone who happens to be a girl & can play bass or whatever.

I'd gladly work with a woman or man or gay guy or any color or creed or what-have-you, if the person could keep their personal politics, religion, etc, out of the music, & consistantly play well, be dependable, dress like a pro, act like a pro, & get along with others.

See, for me, it IS all about the music, not what you are in your spare time, or however you were born, but who & what you are when you're working with me.

I don't need life-long friends to play with. It's nice, if it works out that way. But 1st & foremost, it's the music that matters.

If you need that comaraderie, advertise in the personals, not in a serious musicians' forum.

Just my useless two cents.

Sorry you hafta work with horn-dogs & flakes. If you come to this area, I can show you at least 5 musicians who don't fit that mold. Oh, & yeah, I'm one of 'em.

#37339 by gbheil
Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:14 am
It's another first line bullseye for Philby. If its about music we and our hormones have got nothing to get over. We are pushing the sexism back where it came from. The females. We give the "got to be 18 to 20 something" crowd the same crap. HELLO its about the band / chemestry. Not sex. Not age. Not how you freakin dress. Any musician knows that. Even a newbe.

#41279 by arcanus_diabolus
Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:46 am
Any band, regardless of sex, is hard to get together. Not enough people serious enough about the music.

#41280 by philbymon
Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:55 am
Well said, ad. Too many ppl think they can "get things" from ppl by playing music - usually sex or drugs or fame & fortune. There's as much chance of that with music as there is being a mailman, imo.

I used to say that I got into music for the women, but I found that I liked music a LOT better.

That isn't true, really. I got into music because it drove me to. It ruled me, for many many years. I think I've lost that relationship due to the problems I've had with my hand, & it feels like there's a huge hole in my soul, but music is HARD to play these days. I still do it, but it's more like work than it ever was before.

I think I really do like music better than women though, even now. Is that weird? I can remember songs much better than I can women's names. LOL