This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#25545 by Irminsul
Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:31 pm
I've been to the UK a few times, and had a great time. Except for a very occassional dry/snide anti-Yank-ism, they were wonderful to me.

#25732 by backfire
Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:51 pm
all this nationalism, waste of time...you don't have a country you're here but it's not yours. wage slaves need idol worship, very necessary for the ruling class of any country, organization etc. to keep you feeling like you're part of the "team" and always, later on when you're beat down and can't fight back like the youth, you see how you'd been had! you have the right to speak freely the words of those who own the land and production, initiate warfare, speak their words and they will cut you some slack...comfortably numb. break a rule and they put the whole weght of the system on you...one at a time you give up, then to somehow to justify your guilt for giving up or backing down you might want to tell others to be cool, "don't mess with our team" but it's not your team. this system (yes it is a system) would have you believe that everybody likes it except YOU. should you try to confuse the youth in their rebellion against lies, stereotypes and burnt out rebels? the people of this planet need to free themselves of these chains...let the youth be in the forefront and the old folks not far behind. Nationalism, circle of thought to nowhere?

#25771 by RhythmMan
Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:45 am
Why do the people on this music forum not talk about music?

#25773 by Irminsul
Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:16 am
We talk about plenty of music. But man does not live by bread alone.

#25791 by backfire
Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:37 pm
Is music independent of the life around us? I guess we keep that dream alive...but life and reality asserts itself. I was in a band and during practice the guys are telling off color jokes about whatever race or woman that was not in the room at the time, I told them that was stupid and a waste of time, they protested in saying music is for fun and not the same as work or public office. I said o.k. make your joke a song and we will go play it at the bar on the north side of town...AT&T censored Eddie from Pearl Jam...the music industry is very selective, self censorship is bad enough, you need friction for growth break some rules before it's too late...sometimes ya just got to get up and go before the teacher calls upon you...

#25797 by RhythmMan
Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:02 pm
thunderbum wrote: . . . they protested in saying music is for fun . . .
AT&T censored Eddie from Pearl Jam...the music industry is very selective, self censorship is bad enough, ...

To me, music is not a case of fun / not fun.
I think music is more for the soul, and a way of life; I still have music in my head when I'm working on other things . . .
although, indeed, it can also be fun.
Oh, regarding the ethinic jokes you'd mentioned; Red Skelton had a great way to tell ethnic jokes without offending people . . ."There were these 2 seagulls, Getrude & Heathcliff . . ."
I'm interested in what kind of censorship(s) you're referring to.
. . . gutter-language, specific ideas and beliefs, political correctness, etc?

#25812 by backfire
Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:50 pm
Red skelton also had a heavy woman sit on a rock and have the rock collapse...

all censorship.. the music industry welcomed gutter-language when they realized the profits were there, I believe they welcomed the debate of whether obscene language should or should not be recorded / played...tell someone they can't have it and they demand more of it, alcohol, cigarettes, guns... but a short criticism of Bush in a song gets cut. yeah! well that's at the national level in a democracy...then there is the bar that tells the band what the people want to here...Yes they want to guarantee some kind of profit... but it's censorship...the kid swears in school, the teacher berates him and his parents are notified etc. why not have all the kids yell the bad word all at once then have a discussion about language, what words mean and there are different ways to get your point across... in retrospect I have been talking too much, I am ignorant to the technical aspects of recording at home and placing in on the internet - low income I will find the way to get some sound out...so now you guys can let me have it for making read all the way down to here!

#25818 by Irminsul
Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:38 pm
Music is what musicians do, but it's not disconnected from life. And sometimes, the stuff of life comes up because it moves us, enrages us, motivates or inspires us. It's not a good idea to slap a clamp on our mouths just because of that eventuality.

#25949 by Crip2Nite
Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:29 am
I think maybe the Brits are a little jealous of our big breasted women! :wink:

#26001 by backfire
Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:13 am
Gots to keep a sense of humor.

#26186 by JackSilverman
Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:57 am
The US hates the UK? News to me, and I live in the US.

#37107 by Cy
Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:14 am
Crip2Nite wrote:I think maybe the Brits are a little jealous of our big fake breasted women! :wink:

Corrected. :wink:

Edit: Christ. sorry, didnt realise this post was rotting somewhere on the umpteenth page.

uhhh....Bump for great justice?

#37132 by Rick Stringfellow
Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Not that it matters, but I happen to love the British. Most American's do. And I'll take this opportunity to apologize for our present government adminisration.

#37142 by The Hunter
Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:11 am
To the person who started this thread:
Keep your personal problems to yourself.