This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#34981 by Craig Maxim
Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:08 am
Our booking agent gave me an email to put on our site for booking, but I TOLD HIM we needed to put his phone number up there as well.

So, let me just say... FUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!

Got home tonight, and there was a message on MySpace for us, that a club had an emergency, their opening act had canceled on them or had some kind of issue, and they really, really, really, wanted Southern Mischief to open up for..... Mother's Finest!!!!

ARGH!!!!

Mother's Finest!!!! ARGH!!!!!

I'm gonna be sick all night.

So, lesson learned kiddies... You just never know when someone may need to contact your band... and contact them... NOW!!!

Blowing opening for a Major label act like Mother's Finest could be the result. You just never know.

#34984 by Andragon
Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:24 am
Had to look em up.. they're old :O
Yes, lesson learned. And always go with your instincts.
Don't worry; next time, you're gonna have badass bands open for you.

#34986 by Craig Maxim
Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:31 am
Andragon wrote:Had to look em up.. they're old :O
Yes, lesson learned. And always go with your instincts.
Don't worry; next time, you're gonna have badass bands open for you.

Yeah, they formed in the seventies, but still touring today. Their biggest hit was probably "Baby Love" which anyone will know when they hear it on their MySpace page:

http://www.myspace.com/mothersfinest

But when you are trying to come up, hell, I don't want to turn down ANY band with a name, history and fan base!

It would have been nice on the resume. :-(

But brother, I sure hope you are right. Who knows? Maybe they will open for us one day. We'll see. ;-)

#34988 by Andragon
Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:41 am
Yea I actually think my mother listened to this years ago.. along with the Bryan Adams tunes :lol:
Don't sweat it. You're doing fine. Just make sure he knows it was his fault.

#35008 by gbheil
Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Slap him around some for me too. 8)

#35046 by Shapeshifter
Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:07 am
Don't laugh...you may have been conceived to a Bryan Adams tune! :lol:

#35055 by Andragon
Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:21 am
Doubt it. Bryan Adams ruled either way.

#35069 by Franny
Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:56 pm
A Southern Rock band opening for a Funk Group?...man, i need to get out more :(

interesting no doubt

#35071 by jw123
Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:04 pm
Mothers Finest used to come thru Memphis during the late 70s early 80s. It seemed like every couple of monthes they would open for the major ROCK bands that came thru town. They were ahead of their time, probably would have been a cool show to open. Im glad they are still out on the road. They used to be based out of Atlanta, so Craig maybe you guys might still get to open for them some day.

#35106 by Craig Maxim
Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:25 pm
Franny wrote:A Southern Rock band opening for a Funk Group?...man, i need to get out more :(

interesting no doubt

Why the slight?

They are a funk/ROCK band bro.

Go listen to "Truth" on their MySpace...

http://www.myspace.com/mothersfinest

At the root of their music and ours, is BLUES. Both groups are heavily blues influenced. It would have fit just fine.

In fact, the promoter of the event told me on the phone yesterday, that he had wanted us to open for them all along. And told us not to worry, that we are one of his favorite bands in Atlanta, and we will definitely be opening for some national acts for concerts he is organizing now.

The demos you hear are well over a year old, done when we were a 4 member band with a beginner bass player, and had only been together 2 months or so.

We have a 5 member band now, with musicians who are ALL worthy both musically and professionally, of being a touring act. The bulk of the musicians here now, have been with the band 6 months or longer, with the bass player having been here a month or so, and two drummers fighting it out for that spot.

We decide on a new drummer after our gig on June 28th, which the two prospects on drums are sharing, two sets a piece, as a kind of "live audition".

Hopefully, within a few months we will be able to go into the studio and cut 2 or 3 songs, and then you will see what we are working with. :-)

#35108 by jw123
Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:31 pm
Craig when Mothers Finest used to come up my way they were drums, bass, guitar and vocals and in those days they were as heavy as any band on the circuit. I thought of them as a hard rock band with a funky edge back in the day.

I had wondered what happened to them, thanks for bringing them back to my attention in your post.

#35109 by Craig Maxim
Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:55 pm
jw123 wrote:
Im glad they are still out on the road. They used to be based out of Atlanta, so Craig maybe you guys might still get to open for them some day.

They are still based out of Atlanta and play around the area regularly. They are still huge in Atlanta and draw thousands of people wherever they play.

And thanks for that, we will get our shot again, whether them or someone bigger. The promoter of this event likes our music and our band alot.

He's seen us at a few shows now, but the first one, we won him over, cause it was a battle of the bands, one of the bands there had a big group of fans show up, and that band asked us if we would switch slots with them cause their people were starting to leave. We agreed, which is unusual I guess, in a battle of the bands situation, cause that just gave them an edge. We didn't care, they are good guys, have a great band, and it is all about the music and musicians supporting one another, in our view. So we switched. Then when we set up, it was late and alot of people had left already, but some solo act, was standing there in front of us with a guitar on, when it was time to do our sound check. I asked someone in my band, in jest "Did you guys hire a new guitarist and forget to tell me about it?" LOL - Cause at the time, we didn't know what he was doing there, in the middle of OUR sound check.

Turns out he had been booked to play in between the bands setting up, but the sound guy never got him set up, so he just waited around. We felt bad for him, since he had come there to play. And we let him do his songs before we started our set. Since we were there on stage with him, I motioned to my lead guitarist to start playing with him. Then I motioned to the bass player, and drummer, etc... Within seconds, this guy had a band backing him up, with back up vocals and everything, and doing a damn fine job at it, considering we had never done any of the songs he played.

The dude was thrilled that he was playing with an entire band and not just solo. And apparently that made an impression on the promoter as well. That we were so generous.

After hearing our music as well, he just became a fan, and always tells people that, "Not only are they a great band, but a great bunch of guys too!"

So, he has some plans for us.

We're looking forward to the future.

#35111 by Craig Maxim
Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:05 pm
jw123 wrote:Craig when Mothers Finest used to come up my way they were drums, bass, guitar and vocals and in those days they were as heavy as any band on the circuit. I thought of them as a hard rock band with a funky edge back in the day.

That's EXACTLY what they are. And they are still a major label act, still rocking, and have a new album out I think. They have done 10 or maybe a dozen albums by now.

They have had a successful career that any band would appreciate.

jw123 wrote:I had wondered what happened to them, thanks for bringing them back to my attention in your post.

Yeah, I've been listening to them again myself now too. LOL

#35421 by Guitarzan6000
Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:19 pm
I remember seeing them once in the '70's...I thought they were pretty good. Man that sucks ya didn't get the gig though. Maybe next time? ROCK ON!!!