This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#35217 by Smooth5
Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:12 am
Lyrics, Smearyics!!! I've recorded completely instrumental works of art with incredible guitarists and drummers that blaze thru melodies with sensual undertones and speak arrangements with strings in 5 different languages. Our instruments are our voices! Speak Load!! 8)

#35238 by jw123
Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:30 pm
Smooth when you take away the lyrics you narrow your target audience, theres nothing wrong with that if that is waht you want. But very few Instrumentals break thru to the mainstream, In the last 20 yrs Satch had that song Summer Song and Eric Johnson had Cliffs Of Dover. Im sure there are more but they are few and far between.

That being said as a guitarist I love instrumental fusion type music, but you arent going to hear it on the radio.

#35267 by gbheil
Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:21 am
Music must have a message. But it can be nonverbal.

Does that make sense?
#35277 by Hayden King
Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:52 am
no I cant really enjoy a song with only one or the other. I consider a song "an expression of a state of bieng" or a state of mind. my goal is to express the intent of the song and i feel it requires both to create real art. you can of course write cathcy riff's and jingle's, but if you were stuck in a bunker for 2 years and had music to listen to, would you want it to trigger a particular state of bieng in you, or make you want to make a silly face and run out to buy something?
Hayden King

#35278 by gbheil
Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:20 am
Frankenstien? The Satchmans "Surfing with an Alien"?

#35300 by jw123
Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:15 pm
I dont know after thinking some more I think a song has to look,taste, and feel like SEX. After all sex sells

#35367 by Crip2Nite
Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:49 am
:? sigh..... back to the drawing board... :roll:

#35383 by The_Copasetics
Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:52 pm
I think it depends what kind of song it is really. I mean, for stuff like folk songs lyrics always come before the music, but if you rock out to metal than really the lyrics are borderline irrelevant since sometimes they are inaudable.