This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#31719 by Niandra
Fri May 16, 2008 3:57 pm
i'd suggest to listen to John Frusciante's album 'Niandra La des and usually just a T-shirt"
or to read Charles Bukowski----
that's the tune

#31735 by gbheil
Fri May 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Dang, where can I get me one of those magic 8 balls. It sounds just like my wife :lol:

#31766 by Starfish Scott
Sat May 17, 2008 1:06 am
click on the link. I use the magic 8 ball to decide all the tough decisions.

you know, which 401K to use etc. lol

#31775 by blair_rock
Sat May 17, 2008 2:09 am
excellent link I love it.

#31803 by Paleopete
Sat May 17, 2008 1:35 pm
You cannot watch any TV channel for a single hour without seeing an ad for some sort of drug.

Start counting, you'll see more ads for drugs than anything else. Except saturday mornings, when it's toys and pre-sweetened cereal to make your kids hyper as hell so they'll need drugs because they're "hyperactive".

I never take pills, even aspirin. I haven't taken an aspirin in over 20 years. I keep a half dozen pain pills on hand (strong stuff like codeine or Vicodin, which is part codeine) since I"ve had back trouble for many years, and I have to be in extreme pain to take anything at all. Otherwise the only thing I ever touch is a left handed one now and then, after work or after the gig.

Doctors know very little about the new drugs they prescribe, they're given samples by a salesperson, who is a sales person not a doctor, and they get no follow up training after medical school. What do you think the sales guy will say to get his drugs on the doctor's list?

Drugs kill more people in this country every year than the diseases and conditions they are supposed to be treating, and drugs do not cure or prevent anything.

Read Kevin Trudeau's book, Natural Cures They Don't Want You to Know About. It's not much more than a constant whining to get you to join his paid member ship website, (He's not in it for the money, yeah right...) but it does have a very eye opening description of the pharmaceutical industry.

They KNOW they're killing people. The company that made Vioxx knew it was killing people 5 years before they were forced to take it off the market. Conservative estimates are that it killed 10,000 people. But they made billions before it was removed from the shelves...

When drugs are approved, usually it's done by a FDA panel with a couple of people on it who are employed by the company that makes the drug...no followup testing is done after approval, to assess its long term affects on patients.

Philby - I like the idea of getting your wife to a doctor who knows the situation and is willing to help do something to wean her off the drugs, look around, you may have to pay for the doctor visit yourself if insurance won't cover it, but the end result should be worth it. And definitely look into natural methods of dealing with depression.

Hang in there, it's not easy, but there has to be some way to get results other than her staying hooked on pills...

#31806 by RhythmMan
Sat May 17, 2008 2:03 pm
Everyone probably sings because it's easier than learning an instrument.
Only one note at a time, or six notes at once? Hell, no contest . . .
I much prefer to play guitar.
But . . .
I've recently changed my guitar-practice to include myself singing some of my lyrics. But it often takes most of my concentration just to keep up with the songs . . . and so then my guitar-playing isn't as good when I sing.
And I've had people tell me they love hearing a good involved instrumental . . . that it's a welcome and refreshing chance of pace . . .
I guess instrumentals have become rare . . .
And, I'm no fool; I know what I do well and what I still need practice with . . .

When given the choice of either:
1) singing mediocrely AND simultaneously playing mediocrely
or
2) playing well and keeping my mouth closed.
. . . Hell, no contest . . . I much prefer just listening to my guitar.
btw . . . My apologies for being on-topic . . .

#31820 by philbymon
Sat May 17, 2008 8:25 pm
That's okay, RM. No one knew what it was all about anyway...LOL

I don't think you got it, either.

No one has stayed on topic because it was a metaphor of some sort...& a rather muddy one at that.

Nice points made, though.

I still like to sing.

#31888 by gbheil
Tue May 20, 2008 12:01 am
Not to be picky Paleopete but it could be important one day. Vicodin does not contain codiene. It is a mix of 5mg hydrocodone and 500 mg acetomenophen. Hydrocodone and codiene are simular but not the same.

#31892 by Guitaranatomy
Tue May 20, 2008 12:56 am
I agree, RhythmMan. I rather play my guitar and hear that, or a piano, or any other instrument I play, than sing. I cannot sing, I have a horrible voice, and once in a while I wish I had somewhat of a voice, but not really.

I have tried to just do like a backing vocal while playing guitar and I mess up on guitar as a result. I rather have my guitar sound right and me fully concentrating on that than be split between it and vocals.

That is why I admire singers like James Hetfield, playing those fast metal pieces and singing, while keeping both sounding good (Although his voice now needs some work, but yeah).

Peace out, GuitarAnatomy.