This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#31520 by philbymon
Wed May 14, 2008 3:56 pm
I love the power that Toni Childs has. I always thought she was one of the best, if not the best I ever heard. Good range, too. Interesting music.

Pat Benatar was good until she flooked up her voice with snow.

Blondie was good for her genre, but a bit limited, imo.

Suzanne Vega had a sexy little girl voice that alwaya drove me mad!

Diana Ross was great, too, for her genre.

So which female singer do you like the best?

The #1 on my hate list goes to Cher. I hate her "false power." Terrible tone & delivery.

Linda Ronstadt, while classically trained like Benetar, had a tone to her vox that just annoyed me.

I also never liked Janis Joplin. Some of her stuff was okay, but overall I thought she pretty well stank as a singer.

I never even considered most of these new pop star female "vocalists" to even be vocalists. (You know who you are!) So they will remain unnamed.

Who do you like the least?

#31522 by The KIDD
Wed May 14, 2008 4:07 pm
Hey Gang,

Man Philby....Thats a tough one..It woulda been easy during the hayday when classic rock wasnt CLASSIC ..Yet...Damnit... :lol: ...Im almost afraid to say...The female vocals I like now, are nothing like what I liked then...Does that mean I dont really like the old anymore...Did I really ever?..But I want to? ..I better go see a therapist before I post...

John

#31523 by Kramerguy
Wed May 14, 2008 4:09 pm
favorites:

Mariah Carey
Pat Benetar
Ann Wilson
Kate Pierson / Cindy Wilson

Appealing (not so much for their pipes):

Stevie Nicks
Blondie
Samantha Fox
Terri Nunn

Worst:
CHER - God I hate her 'tone'
Cyndi Lauper
Tiffany

#31525 by Irish Anthony
Wed May 14, 2008 4:33 pm
hmmmmm....... let me see...well i sure know who is the best female singer to ever walk this earth...thats an easy one...its "annie lennox" she has the voice of an angel... and her voice has a very strange effect on me...very sweet tone and amazing control...by far the best female singer and her soft scottish accent turns me to mush....

as for the worst there are to many to say but heres a few....

cher,joplin(most over rated singer there ever was,her voice sounds like nails on a black board or a bag of drowing cats),nora jones,rhianna(pure garbage her song "murder" has to be the worst singing ive ever heard), the list goes on.....

ps...of all the new "pop tarts" i hate to admit that christina aguiellera has an amazing voice...and im sure she knows how to suck a c@#k too.... :lol:

#31526 by jimmydanger
Wed May 14, 2008 4:39 pm
I am picky about female vocalists, but love:

Kate Bush
Chrissie Hynde
Grace Slick
Terri Nunn
Pat Benatar
Blondie
Kate Pierson
Tina Weymouth
Joni Mitchell

#31529 by gbheil
Wed May 14, 2008 5:53 pm
Best vox female or male, never really thought about it. The question seems personally irrelavent. I tend to group stuff in the love / hate catagory. Not best / worst. I tend to dismiss anything out of any genre' I dislike. Being the MSP I am The only thing Ir eally care to hear from the female voice is Yes, George & And OMG George please stop.

#31562 by Andragon
Wed May 14, 2008 9:30 pm
sanshouheil wrote:Yes, George & And OMG George please stop.

Don't you mean "don't stop"? :P

Anywho, (before it gets too weird) I think Pat definitely had a strong growl (me likey) and a nice sound overall.. there's also a friend I know.. she has the best growl ever.. once I heard a Black Dog cover from her... mm.. powerful.. anywho.. cool topic =)

#31572 by Craig Maxim
Wed May 14, 2008 10:03 pm
OMG... Slain... I nearly coughed up my iced tea on that Christina comment. Irish guys just lay it out there, gotta appreciate that. LOL

For me, I can't make a full list, especially in the past, there are too many great female vocalists to mention.

But Kate Bush has one of the best voices out there. She certainly has the most octave range of any pop female vocalist I know of. Christina has a great voice. Annie Lennox, no doubt. Her voice and delivery are phenomenal, and she has an amazing stage presence too. What about Celine Dion and Whitney Houston (Pre- crack-head days)

Bjork is a phenomenal singer. I don't care if it gets lost on anyone because of her unusual genres and experimental style, the quality of her voice is beyond reproach. She has tremendous control and flexibility. She put on a private performance in a church in NY I think, awhile back, and sang acapella if I remember correctly, with just a choir backing her up. Those in attendance said it was almost a religious experience, and something completely unexpected from Bjork. Her voice carried through the entire church and was angelic.

So, let's forget Ella and Aretha and Judy and Sarah and Lena and Dinah... if you need last names let me know, but the savvy among you know who they all are, and there are too many more, but in more recent times...

I think Carrie Underwood and Shania Twain have great voices in country, and Mariah Carey and Alecia Keys are great in R&B and pop. I love Sarah Mclachlan's tone and smooth delivery.

Hey what about Bonnie Raitt? She has a great blues voice. So does Joss Stone.

Ok, too many I like for different reasons.

Better stop. LOL

#31573 by Crip2Nite
Wed May 14, 2008 10:07 pm
Amy Lee of Evanescense... nuff said... :roll:

#31574 by Craig Maxim
Wed May 14, 2008 10:07 pm
Crip2Nite wrote:Amy Lee of Evanescense... nuff said... :roll:

She's really good.

#31578 by fisherman bob
Wed May 14, 2008 11:02 pm
Anybody ever hear of Ida McBeth? Run to your nearest toy store and get one of her CD's (if you can find one). THE most powerful voice EVER, PERIOD. Damn I wish I could sing with that kind of POWER. Later...

#31583 by Niandra
Thu May 15, 2008 12:53 am
PJ Harvey is the best female singer for me.
She's got passion...

#31585 by The KIDD
Thu May 15, 2008 1:27 am
Hey Fish Bob,

Man you wasnt lyin about Ida...Talk about pwr, range ,timbre, voice control, vibrato...SHEEESH...Im not allowed back in class yet..Im still tryin to decide on this one... :lol:

John

#31586 by RyanStrain3032
Thu May 15, 2008 2:05 am
As far as worst...Cher and Shakira are my least favorite.

#31592 by Craig Maxim
Thu May 15, 2008 4:11 am
Oh yeah, I forgot worst...

Yeah, Cher's pretty bad, but so is Madonna.

Other contenders for worst...

Jennifer Lopez
Britney Spears
Paris Hilton
Ashlee Simpson
Victoria Beckham
Scarlett Johansson